Windows 10 to Support USB 3.1 Type-C at Launch

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Windows 10 impending release date is getting closer each month and more information is being released on what to expect from the new OS. From the WinHec Conference, we now know that Windows 10 will have native support for the new USB 3.1 Type-C right out of the gate. :cool:

Seeing that Windows 10 will ship in a few months and Type-C has already been approved, it makes perfect sense that the company will support the new connector natively from day one.

If all the things that are being talked about actually come together Windows 10 will be a formidable upgrade.

I fully expect Skylake boards to have type-C connectors at launch this summer. Can't wait!

The biggest change to the USB standard IMO is the 100 watts of power that can be delivered. This is more than enough to power a VR headset *and* send high res video.

I envision the Oculus Rift and the htc Vive to connect using only a single USB 3.1 type-c connection.. You could have a 30 foot cable running from your PC, up to the ceiling, and then hanging in the centre of the room!

I fully expect Skylake boards to have type-C connectors at launch this summer. Can't wait!

The biggest change to the USB standard IMO is the 100 watts of power that can be delivered. This is more than enough to power a VR headset *and* send high res video.

I envision the Oculus Rift and the htc Vive to connect using only a single USB 3.1 type-c connection.. You could have a 30 foot cable running from your PC, up to the ceiling, and then hanging in the centre of the room!

I will admit that the thought of running DiplayPort over USB is tempting, but I wonder how it will be implemented? On the Thunderbolt side of things, you have to have a card/iGP either natively support Thunderbolt outputs, or do some clumsy routing of the signal.

We are just now finally getting rid of VGA, and DVI is next, so now we're down to two major display connectors. Does anyone really want to complicate things by adding a USB 3.1 port to the back iof their video card?

I know, less cables = more better, but is there enough demand for devices like VR helmets to save one cable?

I could see the type C works on cell phones, laptops and the front ports of a PC case. But the back of a motherboard? I can pretty much find a USB port on the back of the io shield. I admit it takes a few trys to find the orientation of the USB but these type c looks too small to be back there. Hell, all the other type of the smaller USB input is not even on the back.

I will admit that the thought of running DiplayPort over USB is tempting, but I wonder how it will be implemented? On the Thunderbolt side of things, you have to have a card/iGP either natively support Thunderbolt outputs, or do some clumsy routing of the signal.

There are additional paths in the USB 3.1 standard to support additional features. These can be a lot of things, but fully support bot DP and HDMI. Meaning adapters could be used in cases where physical compatibility is an issue, and also meaning it could replace both of these physical ports eventually while maintaining compatibility with any monitor or screen that uses either (again, physical adapters).

There are additional paths in the USB 3.1 standard to support additional features. These can be a lot of things, but fully support bot DP and HDMI. Meaning adapters could be used in cases where physical compatibility is an issue, and also meaning it could replace both of these physical ports eventually while maintaining compatibility with any monitor or screen that uses either (again, physical adapters).

Good point, you can run any current display standard over USB 3.1 thanks to those reserved high-speed lanes.

I guess the only problem users would have is: how do we universally mark the 3.1 lanes that can carry video? It won't be cost-effective to route it to every single one of them. We already have tons of different colors for USB ports, so you better grab a distinctive one quick before they're all taken :D

Windows 10 impending release date is getting closer each month and more information is being released on what to expect from the new OS. From the WinHec Conference, we now know that Windows 10 will have native support for the new USB 3.1 Type-C right out of the gate. :cool:

Why do we care Windows 10 has native support?

Its a simple driver issue so Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Modern flavors of linux will support, right?

Why do we care Windows 10 has native support?

Its a simple driver issue so Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Modern flavors of linux will support, right?

Have you tried installing 3 on a windows 7 system when you have no idea who makes the chipset? Or have you used 8 enough to realize that 3 tends to be a little bit faster then it is on 7 because it's treated as a separate stack from usb 1 and 2? so yes, support will probably be in 7 and 8 but it may not be as good.

I could see the type C works on cell phones, laptops and the front ports of a PC case. But the back of a motherboard? I can pretty much find a USB port on the back of the io shield. I admit it takes a few trys to find the orientation of the USB but these type c looks too small to be back there. Hell, all the other type of the smaller USB input is not even on the back.

Generally, Micro and Mini USB are always on the "target" end. You have to go out of your way to find a USB cable that does not have a Type A on one end.

So I don't think it was unwillingness to put small connectors on motherboards, there just isn't a demand for it. Although it could very well be that no one makes a Micro USB to Micro USB cable because no motherboard has the connector :D

After using Lightning cables, I don't understand why we didn't have reversible USB like 10 years ago.

Have you tried installing 3 on a windows 7 system when you have no idea who makes the chipset? Or have you used 8 enough to realize that 3 tends to be a little bit faster then it is on 7 because it's treated as a separate stack from usb 1 and 2? so yes, support will probably be in 7 and 8 but it may not be as good.

Yes I have installed drivers for USB3 on Win7. I hope most of us on this forum have no issues with knowing or searching which chipset we are running for USB3 ports.

That is good information about Win8 having a faster separate USB3 stack.

Good point, you can run any current display standard over USB 3.1 thanks to those reserved high-speed lanes.

I guess the only problem users would have is: how do we universally mark the 3.1 lanes that can carry video? It won't be cost-effective to route it to every single one of them. We already have tons of different colors for USB ports, so you better grab a distinctive one quick before they're all taken :D

asususb31-6b.jpg

ASUS has apparently decided on teal. :rolleyes:

Generally, Micro and Mini USB are always on the "target" end. You have to go out of your way to find a USB cable that does not have a Type A on one end.

So I don't think it was unwillingness to put small connectors on motherboards, there just isn't a demand for it. Although it could very well be that no one makes a Micro USB to Micro USB cable because no motherboard has the connector :D

After using Lightning cables, I don't understand why we didn't have reversible USB like 10 years ago.

20%20-%20USB%203.1%20Type-C.jpg

MSI, at least, feel that Type-C connectors belong on motherboards, right there in the I/O panel. I'm in agreement with them.

the mini connector looks fragile. I don't want a mini connector on my flash drives either. Phones and eReaders - yes

Back