Apple To Overhaul Genius Bar

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure "The new Concierge" sounds any better than what they have now. What do you think?

Apple will soon make a significant change to retail store Genius Bar appointments to improve the customer experience, according to several sources briefed on the upcoming shift. During the week of March 9th, Apple’s United States stores will launch a new initiative called “The new Concierge” that replaces traditional walk-in Genius Bar appointments.

I think that this is a change for the sake of change.

This new program ....... moves away from the classic appointment model.

There is a reason that the appointment model works. It's simple, scheduleable, and isn't a pain in the dick for people to work with. "Oh look at us, we're going to use a "special algorithm" to triage user problems" good job dumbasses. Way to overcomplicate shit.

I thought their technical ability meant they could only deal with three different problems anyway.

If all else fails...replace!

I actually feel disgusted whenever I walk past an Apple store.

Are they finally going to get their liquor license?

I see what you did there. :p

6290288541_dd1d185953.jpg

This seems to be only helping with walk-ups. That doesn't help people who make appointments ahead of time (like you're supposed to). I hope this doesn't interfere with that, as a business customer I'm already dealing with making appointments, being on-time for them, and the Store just sorta forgets I'm there and I'm waiting 20 minutes.

Wait, the Apple Store actually takes walkups? Usually they tell me to sign up for an appointment or wait 5 hours until the store closes and they may be able to find some time to replace a power cord for me.

The appointment model was dumb anyway. When people have a problem they need it fixed have an appropriate number of people in the store. It is as stupid as appointments with doctors. Why do you have to wait if you have an appointment. I have never been to any Doctor or Dentist in my entire life where I walked in and was taken in and began immediate service at my appointed time which is what you would expect when you have an appointment. I have however had many issues with myself or family members where we wanted help soon and were unable to get it, hey you are really sick? Schedule an appointment a week from now or go to the ER. Ya thanks for the reasonable choices...... I have been to countries where doctors offices are walk in only, you know what's funny? I get help the day I need it and I find in general I don't have to wait much if any longer. The big problem with appointment systems is they cant actually predict how long it will take, and leaving some extra time or space in for longer than normal service? No way, cram as many as you can in so that if one single appointment the whole day goes wrong the entire day gets delayed, actually what's even better we will over schedule every day in case someone cancels.

Never had problem with the appointment system. Actually its great tbh.

This seems to be only helping with walk-ups. That doesn't help people who make appointments ahead of time (like you're supposed to). I hope this doesn't interfere with that, as a business customer I'm already dealing with making appointments, being on-time for them, and the Store just sorta forgets I'm there and I'm waiting 20 minutes.
Sorry buddy, i visited the apple store at a busy mall here in silicon valley, valley fair. I got there at 1045 to get my girl's barely used brand new nano replaced. By the time they opened the doors they had to split the crowd, there was only 1 person that made an appt, everyone else had to wait in line to get their apple product serviced.
they had 40+ employees and of the 100+ people waiting i would guess 85 of them needed help or repairs and maybe 1 or 2 scheduled an appt.

I learned my lesson on scheduling, but then again i dont buy into the apple craze.

anyways, the store was so busy i was lucky to be the 15 person in line and still had to wait once they got my info, i didnt get seen till 12:10. Oh well, still got the nano replaced and left the place as soon as i could.

The apple store is weird, so are the MS and Samsung store.
In fact all this stores that carry so few products are weird to me (yes MS and Samsung have more products than apple).. I am sure 'cause I don't make enough $$ so I am no used to this high end retail crap
Code:

The apple store is weird, so are the MS and Samsung store.
In fact all this stores that carry so few products are weird to me (yes MS and Samsung have more products than apple).. I am sure 'cause I don't make enough $$ so I am no used to this high end retail crap
Code:

I agree. An Apple Store just opened near me a few months ago. Strange thing is, it is a very large store space which does not make sense since there are only a handful of products. However, they have 5-10 of the same thing on display at each product table/display. Seems such a waste of expensive retail space.

Are they gonna move away from the "our update fucked your iPhone, and you can fix it by purchasing our newest iPhone" service model?

Are they gonna move away from the "our update fucked your iPhone, and you can fix it by purchasing our newest iPhone" service model?

No because customers can no longer brag about how profitable the company is at overcharging for mediocrity like 1GB DRAM when Safari constantly reloads due to low memory causing you to exceed your mobile data cap.

The appointment model was dumb anyway. When people have a problem they need it fixed have an appropriate number of people in the store. It is as stupid as appointments with doctors. Why do you have to wait if you have an appointment. I have never been to any Doctor or Dentist in my entire life where I walked in and was taken in and began immediate service at my appointed time which is what you would expect when you have an appointment. I have however had many issues with myself or family members where we wanted help soon and were unable to get it, hey you are really sick? Schedule an appointment a week from now or go to the ER. Ya thanks for the reasonable choices...... I have been to countries where doctors offices are walk in only, you know what's funny? I get help the day I need it and I find in general I don't have to wait much if any longer. The big problem with appointment systems is they cant actually predict how long it will take, and leaving some extra time or space in for longer than normal service? No way, cram as many as you can in so that if one single appointment the whole day goes wrong the entire day gets delayed, actually what's even better we will over schedule every day in case someone cancels.

works for the airlines

I think that this is a change for the sake of change.

No it isn't

" Using a special algorithm, the application provides the customer a wait time based on issue priorities. For example, a customer seeking an iPhone screen replacement will automatically be placed higher in the queue than a customer seeking help with a minor iCloud issue."

I.e. services you will likely be paying for get pushed to the front of the line.

Back