Lenovo Admits to Superfish Screw-Up, Clean-Up Tool on the Way

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I suppose large corporations such as Lenovo feel it’s the righteous thing to do to admit it screwed up after being caught in wrongdoing. Just imagine how holier-than-thou Lenovo must feel now since announcing the company released a tool to remove the offending adware, Superfish, which was found to render the affected laptops vulnerable to attacks.

Superfish is present on Lenovo laptops sold between September 2014 and January 2015, although Lenovo says no Thinkpads were shipped with the adware.

Last edited:
They did the right thing. Better to apologize and clean up than deny and do nothing. I did have a Lenovo laptop I bought in the relevant time period. I ran the removal tool and it's not on the laptop. It is a Thinkpad E440, so was not in the named group, but I did remove a pile of crapware from it when I got it.

Goes to further show you can not trust Chinese owned and operated companies...

At least nothing from mainland China

I still won't trust them unless the fire the people behind the decision to do this in the first place. If they don't, it will probably happen again.

Also,

This goes to show that the first thing you do when you buy any oem computer is wipe the drive and do a fresh windows install off of a clean windows ISO using the key on the sticker on the bottom.

Never ever use the preinstalled image.

Zarathustra[H];1041440956 said:

I'm leaning towards this. installing certificates that could read user's passwords and logins, is not for advertisement, that's hacking. considering, most these lenovos go into business environments, and china is one of the foremost miners of business r&d, this is not surprising

Zarathustra[H];1041440965 said:
This goes to show that the first thing you do when you buy any oem computer is wipe the drive and do a fresh windows install off of a clean windows ISO using the key on the sticker on the bottom.

Easier said than done, especially with the most recent Windows versions?

Zarathustra[H];1041440956 said:

Because no non-Chinese company would ever do such a thing right?

Because no non-Chinese company would ever do such a thing right?

LMAO.... pretty much this. Seriously, what's up with boning your costumers these days? I suppose it probably happened before too, but it just seem to get worst.

Still don't trust them anymore. Huge violation of any possible trust. Even more reason to do a fresh install and clear cut the crap out whenever possible on a new device period.

Back