800,000 Using HealthCare.gov Were Sent Incorrect Tax Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just when you thought all those HealthCare.gov hassles were behind you, this little tax time surprise pops up. :(

About 800,000 taxpayers who enrolled in insurance policies through HealthCare.gov received erroneous tax information from the government, and were urged on Friday to hold off on filing tax returns until the error could be corrected.

Last edited:
Obamacare has more issues? Why am I not surprised... I am not 100% against it, but it was WAY too rushed. They needed to put more time and thought into it. Now, because of the issues, even those that supported it are having negative feelings about it.

You hear that sound?

That's the sound of uncertainty leaving the marketplace.

Only really an issue if you're from one of the dummy states that didn't set up its own exchange / didn't take free money.

Only really an issue if you're from one of the dummy states that didn't set up its own exchange / didn't take free money.

"Free" money now that goes away later and leaves the full cost on the state.

I am not one bit surprised that the IRS doesn't have it together. They are running "Obamacare".

I wonder how much extra of our tax dollars they are going to use to fix their "mistake".

"Free" money now that goes away later and leaves the full cost on the state.

I am not one bit surprised that the IRS doesn't have it together. They are running "Obamacare".

I wonder how much extra of our tax dollars they are going to use to fix their "mistake".

You're right. Much better to just have uninsured people languishing in your state emergency rooms

States with most uninsured:
Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana

States that didn't set up an exchange or take free money to expand medicaid:
Texas, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana

zomg overlap

Still don't see why we didn't adopt healthcare like Japan or France. The govt covers around 70% of most medical costs the rest is left to you to cover. Allows the govt to dictate price and practices, something desperately needed in the non-compete market of medical supplies. It also doesn't entirely remove personal liability that a single payer system would, plus allows room for completely privately funded medical procedures.

Wait you people don't like the ILLEGAL tax and fines imposed on the NOT lazy people who actually work to yet again support the lazy!? I'm confused... [/sarcasm]

Not signing up is hassle-free. And I'm sure the IRS will make paying the fine as easy and painless as possible...

Don't you people have jobs anyway? Benefits? This law has had exactly 0 effect on my life.

Don't you people have jobs anyway? Benefits? This law has had exactly 0 effect on my life.

Yes, I have a job. Its' health insurance plans are horrible... they were horrible before Obamacare, and they're even worse now. And what does that have to do with anything? The government has forced this upon us, and now they are doing a very poor job delivering on their promises. Not that I expected anything different *or* intended to be a part of it in any way whatsoever.

You mean unlike the dummy state of California that DID setup it's own exchange and also sent out the wrong tax information.

In spite of the millions spent on advertising/propaganda, the California exchange is a real mess.

My state spent $130 million dollars on an exchange it then threw away. The director took a nice vacation to the Cayman Islands before resigning.

You mean your insurance cost and deductible didn't go up, while the coverage went down like it has for almost everyone else in the country? You must work for the government or have a really generous company that absorbed the increased costs.

Having needed to really use my health insurance for the past few months due to a serious medical problem, I've seen 1st hand how broken the system is, and Obama care did nothing except increase the cost, increase government spending and further break the system.

I don't know what the real solution is, but I think we are going to eventually end up with national health care, and all the waiting & coverage denial that will entail as they cut spending. The rich will still be able to buy the best care, but the middle class will end up lumped in with the poor, and people will die while waiting for care (it's cheaper that way)

I put the blame in large part on the government interference but also on the Doctors.
($1,000 for 1 hour charge for a doctors assistant to transcribe a 5 minute visit? really?)
Some of the charges I've seen are not just unreasonable, they are down right immoral.

Still don't see why we didn't adopt healthcare like Japan or France. The govt covers around 70% of most medical costs the rest is left to you to cover. Allows the govt to dictate price and practices, something desperately needed in the non-compete market of medical supplies. It also doesn't entirely remove personal liability that a single payer system would, plus allows room for completely privately funded medical procedures.

Probably a corruption issue, healthcare industry has heavy pockets and it's all about money here when you wanna get something passed.

Canada used to have a system like ours before it turned to universal, drastic improvement in their healthcare system today. For us we waited a bit too long and now it's much more expensive to reverse course and follow the same path.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada#History)

It's making local industries less competitive on the world stage. GM, for example, has to compete against Toyota while paying around $1000 more in costs per car due to balooning healthcare coverage expenses.

800px-Health_care_cost_rise.svg.png

Not looking good, will probably make automation even more attractive an option this side of the pond. If Foxcon finds it interesting in China where labor is still relatively cheap, then I can only imagine what that means for the future of manual labor down here.

I think universal healthcare would have a nice capitalist twist to it; rather than so many people locked into their jobs for healthcare, particularly if they have families, people might feel more free to innovate, create and start their own businesses.

With 65% of bankruptcy being due to medical bills, it could uncap a decent source of entrepreneurship in the country removing a significant part of that worry.

You mean your insurance cost and deductible didn't go up, while the coverage went down like it has for almost everyone else in the country? You must work for the government or have a really generous company that absorbed the increased costs.

Having needed to really use my health insurance for the past few months due to a serious medical problem, I've seen 1st hand how broken the system is, and Obama care did nothing except increase the cost, increase government spending and further break the system.

I don't know what the real solution is, but I think we are going to eventually end up with national health care, and all the waiting & coverage denial that will entail as they cut spending. The rich will still be able to buy the best care, but the middle class will end up lumped in with the poor, and people will die while waiting for care (it's cheaper that way)

I put the blame in large part on the government interference but also on the Doctors.
($1,000 for 1 hour charge for a doctors assistant to transcribe a 5 minute visit? really?)
Some of the charges I've seen are not just unreasonable, they are down right immoral.

none of this is true

Once government can dictate goods and services, then what? They can tell you what to eat, drink, say, do and if you don't, you can't qualify for goods and services until you comply? That's the way it will go.

There is no such goddamn thing as "free" money you idiot. "Free" is the last adjective in the frickin' universe that applies to money.

The only people I ever see whining about this law are the ones that it has pretty much no effect on at all.

I suppose all the heterosexual people supporting gay marriage should just shut their pie holes then?

Obamacare has more issues? Why am I not surprised... I am not 100% against it, but it was WAY too rushed. They needed to put more time and thought into it. Now, because of the issues, even those that supported it are having negative feelings about it.

It was ramrodded throught congress, but its had plenty of time to be executed. what 4-5 years?

The only people I ever see whining about this law are the ones that it has pretty much no effect on at all.

Since it is and will always be a drain on the general fund, it affects everyone that gives and none of those that just take.

I dare you to come up with a worse analogy

It works.

Gay marriage doesn't affect my life, why should I care?

Oh, that's right. I care about rights.

Rights coming and going. As in, you have the right to purchase care. But you do not have the right to someone's labor.

Once government can dictate goods and services, then what? They can tell you what to eat, drink, say, do and if you don't, you can't qualify for goods and services until you comply? That's the way it will go.
You're a fool if you don't understand how non-compete the healthcare industry is. In large part due to heavy and necessary government regulation as most people don't want a random person treating people or creating medical devices without testing.

The high cost of entry has left much of the industry with few corporations dictating the flow of a large part of it with wall gardens when it comes to many of the more advanced tools needed.

If you pay for health insurance you are already being dictated what you can and cannot have done/covered, how would this change with the government? Plus the system would allow for completely outside funded procedures like most single or mixed payer systems. Maybe finally force us off an ala cart payment system for healthcare.

It's easy to spit out random platitudes but that's not an argument.

Cmon now, the one idea Republicans have had in years that isn't completely pants on head. Just own it.

Back