Sony to Offer $160 ‘Premium Sound’ Memory Card

HardOCP News

[H] News
The best accessory for your $1,200 Sony Walkman? How about a 64GB SDXC card for $160? :eek:

Now comes a memory card engineered for sound quality. Beginning next month, the 64 gigabyte SR-64HXA micro SDXC memory card will be sold for around $160 in Japan, roughly five times the cost of a standard card with the same amount of storage. The SR-64HXA produces less electrical noise when reading data, the company says.

This is the real deal. I put Teenage Dream on it and the sound quality was so good that I felt like I was having unprotected sex with Katy Perry.

This is the real deal. I put Teenage Dream on it and the sound quality was so good that I felt like I was having unprotected sex with Katy Perry.

I'd buy that for a dollar! ...a dollar...maybe 20.

2gP1sPg.png

Now comes a memory card engineered for sound quality. Beginning next month, the 64 gigabyte SR-64HXA micro SDXC memory card will be sold for around $160 in Japan, roughly five times the cost of a standard card with the same amount of storage. The SR-64HXA produces less electrical noise when reading data, the company says.

does it actually do anything? What is electrical noise when reading data? What does that mean?

Working at airports for 25+ years (I inspect markings, signs, pavements, lighting systems, etc.) I can't hear the difference anyway. Give me a cheap ass stereo/radio, etc. and I am fine.

Obviously it makes the 1s and 0s more crisp, duh.

Exactly. It adds the head to the 1 and the slash to the 0. This way the sound engine can tell the difference between one/zero and I and O. It gets quite confusing with these new lossless formats.

Exactly. It adds the head to the 1 and the slash to the 0. This way the sound engine can tell the difference between one/zero and I and O. It gets quite confusing with these new lossless formats.

It also increases data thoughput twofold because it doesn't require all the parity required of "regular" SD cards. This really helps when transferring music onto it!

I was once told by a photographer that he would only burn his images on silver bottom CDR media because the colored dyes messed with the color in his photos. He would buy this.

Putting more food in your freezer helps the food freeze since it makes your freezer have less space to keep cold.

I was once told by a photographer that he would only burn his images on silver bottom CDR media because the colored dyes messed with the color in his photos. He would buy this.

zHtFxZK.gif

Holy shit. I guess Blu-Rays are out of the question then, too.

Not as bad as this (it was $500). Some of the reviews are great.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Would you guys visit a website dedicated to making fun of stupidly overpriced products? I'm thinking that this is a big enough market that's going untapped...

Putting more food in your freezer helps the food freeze since it makes your freezer have less space to keep cold.

Actually if you have a vertical freezer as opposed to a chest freezer it helps to keep it fuller, as every time you open the door you loose a lot of cold air.
Doesn't matter as much with a chest freezer, as most the cold air stays inside when the lid is open.

Would you guys visit a website dedicated to making fun of stupidly overpriced products? I'm thinking that this is a big enough market that's going untapped...
I suggest making it a pay site.

Sounds fun to me though I normally just visit audiophile sites to get my fix of stupid.

Sony, again making dumb decisions trying to give off the illusion of their "premium."

I have a friend who has spent hundreds of dollars/ft for speaker cable, expensive HDMI cables, and who just asked me my thoughts on wifi sensitivity and if he should buy devices to stop it. He would buy this.

Less electrical noise!? I like my electric guitar to scream of electrical noise. No sale!

It would be a cool site but do get ready for tons of lawsuits :(

Wow. I knew Sony has not been okay for quite some time but they must be in really bad shape if they think they have to get in snake oil business. This is as bad bullshit as audiophile power cables. :( (and i do really mean power cables, the ones you connect to wall)

I have a friend who has spent hundreds of dollars/ft for speaker cable, expensive HDMI cables, and who just asked me my thoughts on wifi sensitivity and if he should buy devices to stop it. He would buy this.
The only time i'd suggest buying expensive by expensive i mean not bargain bin HDMI cables is if you're going over like 30ft+ in distance. Then you have to be careful in what you buy, bargain bin hdmi cables might not follow spec proper and suffer too much signal loss for 1080p. But like 3-6 ft even cheap ones if they are listed as 1.4 can do 4k 30fps

The only time i'd suggest buying expensive by expensive i mean not bargain bin HDMI cables is if you're going over like 30ft+ in distance. Then you have to be careful in what you buy, bargain bin hdmi cables might not follow spec proper and suffer too much signal loss for 1080p. But like 3-6 ft even cheap ones if they are listed as 1.4 can do 4k 30fps

Oh most definitely! I have some 30-50 footers and they are thick and well made. His cables are 3 footers to go from receiver > TV or Blu-ray, and he spent hundreds on them. The kicker? They are only 1.2 compliant because he bought them years ago and overpaid, and cannot justify replacing an expensive 1.2 cable with a cheap 1.4, even though the cheap one is better. Better yet, he tells me he can tell the difference in video quality between HDMIs!

So I am guessing that the circuitry in the walkman is so bad that regular SD cards pull too much power while reading data, therefore causing "electrical noise" because the rest of the system cannot handle the power draw.

The sound read from the SD card should be being buffered in RAM I would think.. or have they completely cheaped out and not put any RAM in this thing?

Still, even if there was RAM, you might be able to possibly get some electrical noise from it buffering up the next song.

Basically what Sony is saying is that their stupidly overpriced walkman is a piece of crap and they are putting out a stupidly overpriced SD card to try to fix what they see as a major issue.

Oh most definitely! I have some 30-50 footers and they are thick and well made. His cables are 3 footers to go from receiver > TV or Blu-ray, and he spent hundreds on them. The kicker? They are only 1.2 compliant because he bought them years ago and overpaid, and cannot justify replacing an expensive 1.2 cable with a cheap 1.4, even though the cheap one is better. Better yet, he tells me he can tell the difference in video quality between HDMIs!

I bought some cheap cables years ago and they handle 1.4 just fine. Most 1.2 cables actually do.

Are you sure this isn't made my Monster or Beats/Apple?

Guess Sony is trying to get in on the "gullible with too much money" market.

No, if it was it would be white, and cost 2-3 times as much because..... Apple!

So I am guessing that the circuitry in the walkman is so bad that regular SD cards pull too much power while reading data, therefore causing "electrical noise" because the rest of the system cannot handle the power draw.

The sound read from the SD card should be being buffered in RAM I would think.. or have they completely cheaped out and not put any RAM in this thing?

Still, even if there was RAM, you might be able to possibly get some electrical noise from it buffering up the next song.

Basically what Sony is saying is that their stupidly overpriced walkman is a piece of crap and they are putting out a stupidly overpriced SD card to try to fix what they see as a major issue.
Obviously all their parts have 0 protection against EMI:D

Or buy CAT 6 and something like this,
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8121&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8200&seq=1&format=2

I have HDMI wall plates behind the TV's with 100 ft runs all through the house and outside. Then you only need 1-3 ft HDMI cables. Not sure how good the 1's and 0's are travelling through CAT 6 though.

On that note I got my girl Hello Kitty Beats and Sony MDR headphones. She didn't like the Sony ones until she used the Beats for a day. Now the Beats are in the closet. She is finally starting to believe me on marketing hype. Sony just needs to triple the price of their headphones and make them look more stylish for the based god crowd.

Theoretically, electrical noise from the memory card could affect the downstream DAC and headphone amplifier.

Theoretically, electrical noise from the memory card could affect the downstream DAC and headphone amplifier.

The noise induced by reading memory is no where NEAR enough to affect the DAC. It would have to actually cause bit corruption/injection to do that. This is a total joke

Back