New WiFi Chip Can 'Steer' Signals

HardOCP News

[H] News
A 20 to 45 percent increase in signal strengh just by using a WiFi chip originally developed for cellphones? Sounds good to me.

A San Diego company called Ethertronics believes its new "active antenna" chip originally developed for cellphones can solve slow WiFi connections, though. Even better, the company says the EtherChip can extend your connection's range and make sure there's decent signal throughout your house even without the use of boosters.

I had to shell out $100+ for a new router ahead of time because my neighbor had a stupid strong router. If this actually makes things directional that would be good. If it just increases levels its not needed. People need easy distributed solutions.

Yea whatever it takes to get that 5GHz around the one corner that prevents LOS....Im down

I had to shell out $100+ for a new router ahead of time because my neighbor had a stupid strong router. If this actually makes things directional that would be good. If it just increases levels its not needed. People need easy distributed solutions.

Most decent routers/AP's I have used have an option to automatically adjust signal strength, or manually set it.

I feel like lots of people don't know what they are doing and think "why yes, I want better signal strength" and just pin the setting, without knowing that they likely are not improving their experiences, while sabotaging those of everyone around them... :(

This product seems to suggest that some sort of advanced vectoring is going on, which allows it to provide better signal without brute forcing it. Could be a huige deal, and vastly improve the very congested 2.4 Ghz band.

Easy way around it is move from what everyone is using.. No one uses 900MHz these days... or 24Ghz.
Currently going about making a 10km two section PTP link using 900 fallback with 5.8 also.

Back