Europeans Dismiss The President’s Remarks About Protectionism

HardOCP News

[H] News
This isn't surprising. If it's not about levying fines against U.S. tech companies (or taxing them), the European Commission doesn't want to hear a damn thing our government has to say.

Our role is to ensure that companies which are doing business on our continent play by the same rules. We need to protect our citizens. At the same time, we want to encourage companies — being European or not — to develop, invest and make the most out of a market of 500 million potential customers. Uniform rules — rather than a patchwork of 28 different regimes — are a market opener. The Single Market with over 500 million potential customers is a golden opportunity.

well Obama's been all about protectionist policies and screwing trading partners. Really can't be surprised when countries retaliate. I wish Canada had the balls to fight back.

Personally I can wait to see Obama gone and hopefully replaced with somebody interested in global trade and the global economy.

Yep, long time coming. It's called levelling the playing field.

What's good for the goose...

How could this happen? The media told me it was all because of that evil Bush that our allies and trading partners hated and had no respect for us.

It couldn't be all the lying, disrespect, backstabbing, and general lack of backbone that this administration has shown our friends. This must still Bush's fault.

well Obama's been all about protectionist policies and screwing trading partners. Really can't be surprised when countries retaliate. I wish Canada had the balls to fight back.

Personally I can wait to see Obama gone and hopefully replaced with somebody interested in global trade and the global economy.

Wanna know how I know you're a Republican? Global trade and global economy as it is now and, has always been practiced, will simply continue to undermine our standard of living, lower wages and, further decrease the buying power of the dollar. Why are so many, so eager to throw away the gains someone else worked for?

We had 8 years of Republican presidents that did just that. The net result was a contraction of the US economy and export of all our industry to other nations.

We had 8 years of Republican presidents that did just that. The net result was a contraction of the US economy and export of all our industry to other nations.

With Obama's record on foreign policy and tactics, you are truly going to try to put him ahead of the last Bush as far as global economy is concerned?
Please resuscitate me after I pass out from running out of breathe from laughter.

Wanna know how I know you're a Republican? Global trade and global economy as it is now and, has always been practiced, will simply continue to undermine our standard of living, lower wages and, further decrease the buying power of the dollar. Why are so many, so eager to throw away the gains someone else worked for?

emphasis on
Why are so many, so eager to throw away the gains someone else worked for?

the definition of welfare in the States
and you try to flame someone for being a Republican
o_O

You know how I know you're not? You have no idea how specialization of labor works prefer to coast on someone else's gains.

Came to thread expecting skull-hammeringly pointless 'herp derp Obama' political bickering. Was not disappointed.

How could this happen? The media told me it was all because of that evil Bush that our allies and trading partners hated and had no respect for us.

It couldn't be all the lying, disrespect, backstabbing, and general lack of backbone that this administration has shown our friends. This must still Bush's fault.
Or maybe... *gasp* it's BOTH! Seriously, in terms of policies, Obama may as well be Bush 2.0. Both the Republicans and Democrats are largely bought and paid for these days, trying to lay blame on one and acting like the other wasn't the problem too just leads to more of the same.

Global trade and global economy as it is now and, has always been practiced, will simply continue to undermine our standard of living, lower wages and, further decrease the buying power of the dollar. Why are so many, so eager to throw away the gains someone else worked for?
Well not really, the way it is now started around the early 80s, which is why we've had our manufacturing base bottom out and lost massive amounts of jobs and worker rights, because we're now competing against sweatshop labor and it's hard to match $3 dollars a day for work. Before then we had a lot more tarrifs in place to prevent that from happening.

With Obama's record on foreign policy and tactics, you are truly going to try to put him ahead of the last Bush as far as global economy is concerned?
Please resuscitate me after I pass out from running out of breathe from laughter.

It's almost as if, in your mind, the Great Recession never happened, or if it did, it didn't begin in 2007. And that the unnecessary Iraq War never happened, and didn't severely distract from the Afghanistan War. MissionAccomplishedBanner.jpg

And a bankrupt nation and a wall street out of all sense of control and two wars we couldn't afford.

Republican Presidents these days are just horrible for the country.

I love when people talk about our countries debt. They obviously have no idea that our countries debt to income ratio is lower then pretty much all the countries people compare it to. Also, China and Japan "own" very little of our countries debt.

Here is a fix, anyway. Legalize marijuana nationwide. Tax it. Start taxing churches/certain "non profits". Boom money in the bank.

Them thar daggum gubment! We is gunna argue 'bout it till they start a' readin' our forum posts and see we ain't gunna take it a layin' down! We is dun did armchair activitism dagnabit! That'll show 'em fellars in Wurshinton!

Republican Presidents these days are just horrible for the country.

But great for the defense/finance and building industries...that they are board members/major stock holders of.

Everyone else? Not so much.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH That's funny you think anything will change with a different president, regardless of party. The president isn't the issue, the whole system is broken...

I love when people talk about our countries debt. They obviously have no idea that our countries debt to income ratio is lower then pretty much all the countries people compare it to. Also, China and Japan "own" very little of our countries debt.

Here is a fix, anyway. Legalize marijuana nationwide. Tax it. Start taxing churches/certain "non profits". Boom money in the bank.

In the back of the minds of those other countries is the assumption they can support/pull themselves up from an exterior economy (the US and broader Euro economies). The have exports to relatively unchanged exterior economies to live off of.

There's no one big enough or willing enough for the US to crutch on or pull ourselves out of the muck. In fact as we go down, the other economies will start flounder. Our few exterior markets will also suffer. No prop up for us.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH That's funny you think anything will change with a different president, regardless of party. The president isn't the issue, the whole system is broken...

What is laughable is that only believes he's done nothing but fold to our trading partners which is Washington business as usual since the 70's. And we have Wallstreeters who profit from this situation propagandizing this treason as a virtue.

In this case I'll side with the EU technocrats... the tech companies get just as much scrutiny as any other sector. For tech it just seems that the us gets singled out because of the big role the US companies play. The downside of doing business in Europe is big government, the advantage of doing business in the EU is that, in general, you have little to no private lawsuits with little to no compensation for the costumers when they get shitty products.

I get a bit tired of the mindless bashing of news (just a general comment on all websites).

We should simply adopt a policy of reciprocity. We do to you what you do to us.

Tax our imports X%? We tax your imports X%. Create BS "fines" for our companies, we create the same fines for your companies.

The United States is ultimately a larger consumer than Europe, and Europe exports a LOT of shit to the United States. The problem though is that they know we don't have the backbone to enter into what is essentially economic warfare with the failing European economy.

So they can tax/fine/etc American companies without any fear that it would affect their own exports.

We should simply adopt a policy of reciprocity. We do to you what you do to us.

Tax our imports X%? We tax your imports X%. Create BS "fines" for our companies, we create the same fines for your companies.

The United States is ultimately a larger consumer than Europe, and Europe exports a LOT of shit to the United States. The problem though is that they know we don't have the backbone to enter into what is essentially economic warfare with the failing European economy.

So they can tax/fine/etc American companies without any fear that it would affect their own exports.

That kind of thinking led to a global depression in the 1930's Retaliatory protectionism is one of the worst things that can be done.

Also, the anit-globalization people on this thread are hilarious. You guys are the types to say rain is caused by bringing an umbrella, and blame gravity on looking down (ala Wile E Coyote)

Or maybe... *gasp* it's BOTH! Seriously, in terms of policies, Obama may as well be Bush 2.0. Both the Republicans and Democrats are largely bought and paid for these days, trying to lay blame on one and acting like the other wasn't the problem too just leads to more of the same.

Well not really, the way it is now started around the early 80s, which is why we've had our manufacturing base bottom out and lost massive amounts of jobs and worker rights, because we're now competing against sweatshop labor and it's hard to match $3 dollars a day for work. Before then we had a lot more tarrifs in place to prevent that from happening.

While driving home last night I was listening to Marketplace on NPR. They were interviewing the manager of a glass manufacturing company that had recently purchased, renovated, and re-opened a former GM assembly plant. The really interesting part was that the company is based in China, but due to drastically increasing costs for specialized labor in China, it was actually now cheaper for them to pay workers here in the US to manufacture the glass.

Eventually the global markets will reach some form of equilibrium after all of the third-world sweatshop-running countries develop a reasonable standard of living. We've recently seen that happening in China. This is a major impetus for the renewed Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations, because it should theoretically allow Chinese companies easier access to properties and capital here in the US.

With materials typically traded on global markets, the cost of labor is the most significant factor which encourages companies to set up their manufacturing in a specific location. If the trend is true, then sooner, rather than later, we might see wage-parity with Chinese labor. This would remove the incentive for companies to outsource their manufacturing labor to China.

The biggest concern that I have with regards to the TPP, is that we would be opening a free-trade system with a country that arguably manipulates its currency more than we do. China has been artificially decreasing manufacturing costs further by heavily subsidizing the industry. These two things encourage the low prices for goods, but at least we may be seeing signs of some leveling in the playing field coming in the not-too-distant future.

Unfortunately, just because there is less incentive to move labor overseas, it does not mean that there is sustainable middle-class wage growth here in the US. The NPR interview acknowledged that the majority of workers in the US facility were making only slightly better than minimum wage (they didn't give specifics, but hinted that it was in the neighborhood of $10/hour). As global labor market equilibrium approaches, it is pulling overall wages down, largely due to the sheer volume of labor available in developing countries.

We actually have a robust trade economy with the EU, but I imagine that our repeated efforts at a TPP have drained resources away from the conversation about trade agreements with Western Europe. Combined with renewed instability in the Middle East, where our foreign policy has looked as shaky as ever, and the massive migration from the Middle East into Europe, it only exacerbates the situation by distracting everyone involved with external factors. The Euro-zone is dealing with enough internal economic strife without all of the excess baggage that comes along with negotiating with the US...

That kind of thinking led to a global depression in the 1930's Retaliatory protectionism is one of the worst things that can be done.

Also, the anit-globalization people on this thread are hilarious. You guys are the types to say rain is caused by bringing an umbrella, and blame gravity on looking down (ala Wile E Coyote)
Can I rewrite history too? Cuz it looks fun!

Or perhaps we can stick to facts, since the stock market crash that is the primary cause of the Great Depression happened, oops, BEFORE any protectionist policies were implemented in the United States. What also happened BEFORE any protectionist policies was the great drought the ruined crops around the nation (google the "dust bowl"). You're screwing up cause and effect, as it was the great depression that sparked support for tariffs on imports, and that wasn't at all tied as retaliatory to European powers.

Back