High Resolution Wifi Signal Mapping

Didn't realize there could be such a wide variation in signal strength in such a small area. Amazing!

I would love to see this in realtime with a wider band. Maybe heatmap the different spectrum bands with different colors. Throw a cell phone in there and watch the fireworks....

And THAT is why you have an antenna in your laptop that usually stretches ~1'. Makes sure that it has contact with/intersects multiple "good" zones, and decreases the chances that the antenna only occupies a dead zone.

Just further proof that radio waves are black goddamn magic.

He needed to go one step further.

Set up a wireless hotspot, record a 3d area. Then physically move the wireless hotspot a set distance away (two wavelengths?) and re-record the 3d area. Compare the two.

Then figure out a way to show this in realtime.

Well, I'd wonder if the mill was affecting the signal strength as it was scanning (the observer effect).

Most likely. This interference could be reduced with a simplified machine: A pulley system powered by two stepper motors on the ceiling controlling orthogonal rails (like an etch-a-sketch) carrying a third stepper motor with a spool of thread with the detector device on the end. All devices could be synchronized to carry out their program in unison. Rather than use a camera, simply store the signal strength over time and the 3 stepper motors' movement over time. You end up with point data of x,y,z, and r.

... Compare the two.

I would like to see this... the interference patterns have a lot to do with the type of antenna and nearby objects. It would be interesting to try lots of scenarios using the automation I mentioned above.

I would like to see this with multiple scans over the same area, something a little more controlled. The nerd in me thinks it would be cool to see the (average) shape of the signal.

Back