Telescopic Contact Lenses

Would this work for individuals with depth perception? from what I understand its like looking down the center of a straw.

Would this work for individuals with depth perception? from what I understand its like looking down the center of a straw.

Almost like looking through a telescope.

Get 2 if you want binocular vision...like binoculars.

Any sort of magnification is going to remove your field of view by the same amount it magnifies. The lens itself could also further reduce that by physically prevent light from larger angles from entering it, that said, this looks like one of said cases.

I'm not quite sure what market there is for this, you can already buy flip down glasses to increase magnification for microscope like view, and a pair of binoculars is going to give you vastly better distance viewing. This seems like some oddity that has no real place.

They're switchable. I mean what do you people want? As a proof of concept this is already amazing.

Who else kept hearing the bionic eye sound effect form six million dollar man in the back of their head while reading the article?

Unless your eyes are seriously degraded, there would be of no use for the average user. Pop in a pair of very expensive uncomfortable contacts, or pick up a pair of binoculars?

I'm not quite sure what market there is for this, you can already buy flip down glasses to increase magnification for microscope like view, and a pair of binoculars is going to give you vastly better distance viewing. This seems like some oddity that has no real place.

Can you post some links for the flip down glasses? I've never heard of anything like that?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My bionic eye is superior, and I got it free after mail in rebate when I bought my 6 million dollar man upgrade!

I don't see how this could be technology gone wrong, if it works. Ever tried to wear glasses with a monocular mounted in them? They're heavy as hell and require a lot of practice before using in a situation such as driving (not to mention they're really goofy looking). For someone that's visually impaired this could be a godsend.

It's too bad it's limited to 2.8x though. With 20/200 vision (with glasses, give or take) I require 4x magnification to bring my vision to 20/25. I wonder if 2.8x would be good enough to bring it to 20/60 (the minimum for driving).

"An estimated 285 million people are visually impaired worldwide. Age-related macular degeneration alone is the leading cause of blindness among older adults in the Western world. "

These would be terrible for macular degeneration. All they would do is magnify a portion of you vision that you don't have.

first this is most likely not uncomfortable as it looks. it is an scleral lens. it rest on the white part of your eyes and does not touch your cornea, where most sensitivity is located. also, there is a lot of saline solution between the lens and your eye. scleral lens are bulky, but once you learn how to put your eye inside one ( yeah, that's right, with sclerals you don't move the lens towards your eye, put your eye towards the lens, which is full of saline:cool:.) it is the most adequate lens for outdoors usage and practicing sports.

telescopic sclerals sounds amazing

... it rest on the white part of your eyes and does not touch your cornea, where most sensitivity is located. ...

The bulbar conjunctiva over the sclera is VERY sensitive. It's probably every bit as uncomfortable as an RGP. You just have to get used to it. Inverted telescopes to increase the field of view of someone with a narrow visual field are much more practical than this.

..."It is fit for the microsurgery, vascular surgery, head surgery, orthopedic, ophthalmology, and gynecological, ENT operation, plastic surgery and breast surgery and so on."

If we distribute them to the male population then no female would ever again need surgery

"OMG ITS LIKE MT EVEREST"

Back