Peter Molyneux: 'It's Over, I Will Not Speak To The Press Again'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't like what the press is saying about you? Go into hiding! They'll leave you alone after that for sure. I also heard that covering your ears and shouting "Lalalalalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you!" works really well too. :rolleyes:

“The only answer is for me to retreat,” he says, speaking via Skype from his office in Guildford. “I love my games and I love sharing them with people. It’s this amazing incredible thing I get to do with my life, creating ideas and sharing them with people. The problem is, it just hasn’t worked.”

To be honest with his record and the way people still joke about his press conferences, it might be best if he just speaks through a press person from now on. He just gets too carried away and ends up over promising, with a filter in front of him, it would save him a lot of grief.

I used to like this guy, even after all the under delivered promeises... After the scumbag move he pulled on the kid who won Curiosity, I see him as nothing more than a conman.

Not sure what is up with Molyneux, but as far as I am concerned he hasn't been involved with a decent game since Dungeon Keeper. Bullfrog Studios was basically the zenith of creativity and success for him. I remember being excited about Black and White, running out to buy a copy and then being really disappointed with it :( As I recall the game later went through quite a bit of tweaking to bring it up to snuff but I never picked it back up.

Wish I understood how a guy with this much experience can release flop after flop and how he is still being financed. I used to think that some of the old school game devs... the Richard Garriotts, the Molyneuxs, the Van Caneghems, were just having a hard time making the leap from developing games in the day when you had really small teams to these larger endeavors but I think with the advent of Steam and other gaming platforms, it has actually become easier for creative minds to build great games with small teams and get them into the hands of players.

Maybe Peter had just lost that creative flair and inspiration. Frankly I just don't see how someone...even with as much past fame as him, is able to keep getting financing for game development with this kind of track record.

Probably for the best, honestly (for anyone in his position, not just Molyneux). I can empathize with the guy... I'm sure he has the best of intentions and wants his team to shoot for the stars but when push comes to shove, you can't sit on a project and hemorrhage money trying to shoehorn features in. At some point it has to be finished and difficult decisions have to be made on where to focus your energy.

You can't blame people for being upset when they inevitably get a fraction of what they were promised though. Further, his studio not delivering kickstarter goals, not to mention dropping the ball with the winner of their other mobile game is deplorable. Monyneux and other people in his position would be doing themselves a HUGE favor by keeping their cards close to their vest until they're close to release (or feature locked in the dev cycle). It seems all too easy to get the public excited for something that's just not possible,.

Yet another developer who is totally out of touch!

I love working on games, it is my life. I am so honoured to be a part of the games industry, but I understand that people are sick of hearing my voice and hearing my promises. So I’m going to stop doing press and I’m going to stop talking about games completely....

It not you or your promises people are tired of, it's your not following through on your promises.

Oh sure you take the money, and want the publicity the promises bring, but get all butt hurt when people complain that you aren't following through on your promises.

Godus? Oh you mean that pay to win game that's very simple, obviously a lazy mobile port?

Not sure what is up with Molyneux, but as far as I am concerned he hasn't been involved with a decent game since Dungeon Keeper. Bullfrog Studios was basically the zenith of creativity and success for him. I remember being excited about Black and White, running out to buy a copy and then being really disappointed with it :( As I recall the game later went through quite a bit of tweaking to bring it up to snuff but I never picked it back up.

Wish I understood how a guy with this much experience can release flop after flop and how he is still being financed. I used to think that some of the old school game devs... the Richard Garriotts, the Molyneuxs, the Van Caneghems, were just having a hard time making the leap from developing games in the day when you had really small teams to these larger endeavors but I think with the advent of Steam and other gaming platforms, it has actually become easier for creative minds to build great games with small teams and get them into the hands of players.

Maybe Peter had just lost that creative flair and inspiration. Frankly I just don't see how someone...even with as much past fame as him, is able to keep getting financing for game development with this kind of track record.

Yeah, sort of like why the hell does anyone choose M. Night Shyamalan to direct, produce or write movies anymore?

I also have to wonder, how much was he paying himself and his team during the development process?

Molyneux is funny, he so craves to be in the center of attention that he organizes interviews with the press to say that he will not talk to the press.

He keeps going back to the god game, sim games.. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR FUKS SAKE, and not some crappy psychological experiment for the masses type of game.

Did you guys read his interview with Rock Paper Shotgun? If not, you should:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

Their opening question to him was, "Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?"

The entire interview is so childish. You can hear the emotion in the RPS guy, and Peter Molyneux handles it with grace, like an adult. The interview is a total farce. I would say, "screw you" to the press too if I had an interview like that.

Ask hard questions, try to find answers, and don't give him any breaks. But don't just go on the attack and then never listen to his answers.

Molyneux is the Wachowskis of gaming. He has these high concept ideas that always look fantastic, and though every once in a while he drops a gem, usually you play his games and SEE where he was going, but fell short.

.@pmolyneux 20+ years later, just like .@TimOfLegend you shit all over your credentials and integrity to make a buck. Bravo. #GamerGate

Just posted that on twitter. I couldn't summarize it any better if I tried.

d_stilgar: He is a pathological liar, only like 5% of what he promises ends up in his games

The problem is he always talks too soon in development. He should learn from other studios, and just not talk until there is something solid to show, and then he can see what he is going to deliver on, or at least come close. He keeps talking about his dream games, but then those game would take too long to develop and cost too much money.

People are upset at Godus, but it still isn't done yet, so there is that. The treatment of the Curiosity guy was definitely lame.

Never heard of the guy:eek:

Me either lol. Well I have only because it seems those who followed him religiously know about him and lately thanks to Twitch this guy seems to be everywhere. Its as if people are trying to make this guy into a John Carmack or something.

Molydouche is a fucking prick of the highest order. He's one of this dickbags that has such a massive ego that he thinks he can do no wrong and when presented with the truth of his blunders, he retreats like the sad sack of a washup he is. This guy is a joke full of excuses on why he's a fail and that poor kid that got thrown under the bus for winning Curiosity and has zero to show for it.

Me either lol. Well I have only because it seems those who followed him religiously know about him and lately thanks to Twitch this guy seems to be everywhere. Its as if people are trying to make this guy into a John Carmack or something.

Mostly famous for the short lived Black and White PC game series that went to shit after the original but had a huge cult following along with Fable

Here's a good one: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

Towards the bottom are some funny quotes:
"If I'm with my Canadian friend, he'll introduce me as this God of Gods, and maybe they'll think I'm cool at a party or something. It hasn't worked. My Canadian friend tried to get me in with a girl with this. She thought I was a game designer, but she knew how young I was, so she didn't go for it."

I never thought ANYONE could be a bigger, self absorbed douchebag then this asswad, but damn, Peter just took that title.

CliffBleszinski_2.jpg

I'm of the opinion that The man never really was involved in a decent game. Lots of people he teamed up with made decent games, still did after parting ways with him too. Play dungeon keeper, startopia, and black & white in close proximity and tell me which two seem to have similar DNA.

I never thought ANYONE could be a bigger, self absorbed douchebag then this asswad, but damn, Peter just took that title.
Nah I dunno, he's self-absorbed for sure, but he would have to insult fans and gamers in general repeatedly to take away the crown from Cliff Bleszinski or Phil Fish.

From wikipedia:
Black & White was selected by GameSpy as the most overrated game of all time in an article published in September 2003, who cited a lack of true interaction with the game's townspeople and poor use of the much-lauded creatures among reasons the game ultimately disappointed.

I don't know how you go from spinning gold with Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate and Populous to pooping out turds like Black and White.

To be honest with his record and the way people still joke about his press conferences, it might be best if he just speaks through a press person from now on. He just gets too carried away and ends up over promising, with a filter in front of him, it would save him a lot of grief.

This.

I kinda liked Black and White, but I agree that it under-delivered in a lot of ways.

Great concept, extremely half-assed execution.

I don't know how you go from spinning gold with Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate and Populous to pooping out turds like Black and White.
It's pretty rare for one person to pump out hit after hit, especially nowadays where it depends less and less on one particular person.

I respect his decision to not speak to the press. Go make some great game Peter. We'll let you know when you get there.

It's pretty rare for one person to pump out hit after hit, especially nowadays where it depends less and less on one particular person.

I respect his decision to not speak to the press. Go make some great game Peter. We'll let you know when you get there.

This. Gaming journalism is damn joke these days. Between the reviews that clearly go in with a bias for a game, those that decide to use a game review to push their own brand of political nonsense, to reviews that spend 3 paragraphs reviewing a 25 hour game, there's really not much out there worth reading.

In fact, I find the most useful reviews to be the semi-satirical ones like Zero Punctuation. The guy lays it all out, aiming straight for the issues a game has, and only presents praise where it is earned and warranted, and even then grudgingly.

So I don't really blame the guy for mic dropping and walking off to do his own thing. HOPEFULLY that includes making good games.

Can we stop showering press coverage and Kickstarter cash on celebrity developers? It's getting ridiculous.

"Hey, I'm that guy who made that game you played when you were a kid and now I'm making another game! Give me money!" And then Kotaku et al. blog about it for months.
.@pmolyneux 20+ years later, just like .@TimOfLegend you shit all over your credentials and integrity to make a buck. Bravo. #GamerGate

Just posted that on twitter. I couldn't summarize it any better if I tried.
That'll show 'em.

Didn't Microsoft hire Molyneux to pimp their Xbox One during the big reveal? He showed off and promised this amazing, interactive game he was going to make for the new Kinect? Yeah...

Back