Dying Light Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Overclockers Club published a review of Dying Light this afternoon. If you were thinking about buying this game, you should probably read this first.

Should we try to save Harran or let the infestation go unabated? I have a hard time answering that, as my own feeling is to fail to recommend Dying Light. Please understand that failing to recommend a game does not mean it is bad. In this case I just do not feel it is that strong a title. The graphics are good, but not perfect, and the story is completely predictable and unoriginal. The gameplay is fun, but it is also fairly unremarkable.

I would say it isnt game of the year, but damn is it fun to burn off aggression beating up zombies in this game.

Dismemberment is well handled in this and the style of running and leaping around is a blast.

Its awkward to sit here and say I'm enjoying the game yet I'm not sure I'd recommend it to people.

It's Dead island without the obnoxious unlikeable main characters and a more palatable story as well as fun parkour modes of transportation.

It however had some minor launch issues and still doesn't support Crossfire as far as I can tell though Eyefinity is functional as is the norm these days.

What they gave up for all that is the energy, color and excitement of the original. The story isn't obnoxious, it's bland. the games cityscape is impressive, but it's oppressively brown. Theres not nearly as many weapons and they're all bland and boring(comparatively).

I was sitting around last night when I happened on the gameplay trailer for Dead Island 2 and I could instantly pick out a ton of things that Dying Light is missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sUv-bBrb6Y

I'm sad that we'll lose Parkour in Dead Island 2 but I'm cautiously optimistic about the "Spec Ops: The Line" team working on this. It looks sweet so far.

Probably the only game where you can put the smack down on literally 100s of zombies at a time, all there

Probably the only game where you can put the smack down on literally 100s of zombies at a time, all there

...besides Dead Rising. And Left 4 Dead. And Dead Island. And The Typing of the Dead.

Let's just go with 'anything with "Dead" in the title'.

...besides Dead Rising. And Left 4 Dead. And Dead Island. And The Typing of the Dead.

Let's just go with 'anything with "Dead" in the title'.

The bridge zombie group is pretty impressive but talking shear numbers Dead Rising 3 has it by a long shot. You can setup an area to have 200-500 zombies easily. I think my highest dead rising 3 combo was in the range of 200 when I was just dicking around.

I guess I'm glad I didn't base my buying decision on that article, because this is actually one of the few games I really enjoy that I had no regrets buying it at full price. :p

It may not be ground breaking, but if we expect every game to be ground breaking, we'll hardly enjoy any game.

The Parkour element adds a fun dimension to the game but will say glad I caught a 20% coupon when I purchased it.

This game really shines in co-op. Been playing with a few buddies and having far more fun than the few hours I played solo. Highly recommended.

Maybe I'm crazy but I freaking love the game. 32 hours in and just beat it last night. I've had zero technical issues and game runs very smooth on my system. I'm looking forward to another play through.

This one's definitely a wait for me. I'm mostly tired of zombie games at this point, and Dead Rising 3 is the next one I'm planning on buying. But I'm not buying either of 'em 'til they hit around $10.

Also, hearing about Dying Light's chromatic aberration (color-splitting) effect that can't be turned off was a huge turn-off for me. I could see that getting really old really fast, so I kindof just want to wait 'till a patch comes out that makes some of the intentional video degradation optional. As a photo enthusiast who strives for image quality constantly, I am becoming less and less tolerant of intentional flaws like film-grain and lack of FoV adjustment. Adding intentional chromatic distortion just sounds like a horrible idea to me.

This one's definitely a wait for me. I'm mostly tired of zombie games at this point, and Dead Rising 3 is the next one I'm planning on buying. But I'm not buying either of 'em 'til they hit around $10.

Also, hearing about Dying Light's chromatic aberration (color-splitting) effect that can't be turned off was a huge turn-off for me. I could see that getting really old really fast, so I kindof just want to wait 'till a patch comes out that makes some of the intentional video degradation optional. As a photo enthusiast who strives for image quality constantly, I am becoming less and less tolerant of intentional flaws like film-grain and lack of FoV adjustment. Adding intentional chromatic distortion just sounds like a horrible idea to me.

I can easily say Dead Rising 3 is the best zombie game I've ever played but I played it on Xbox One and it was well worth the $60. I beat it 5 or 6 times. If you don't zombie games then theres nothing I can do for you though.

Theres a fixer app for Dying Light similar to the one for Borderlands that gives you the option of disabling CA and Film grain.

If you don't zombie games then theres nothing I can do for you though.

Well, it's not that I don't like them, I have just played so many hundreds of hours of zombie games (DR2 & DI each twice, along with many others before), and seen so many dozens of zombie movies in the last few years that the entire genre is starting to get very mundane and tiring for me. Every time I see yet another movie or game with "Dead _____" or "____ of the Dead" title, I roll my eyes a little. :rolleyes:

I'm just taking a break for a while, but I'm sure to be back (when DR3 is $10). :D

I too am glad I didnt make a decision based on this review. I love the game, get 4 players together on co-op and its a lot of fun. Venturing out at night avoiding the Volatiles while looking for the herbs or Bolter tissue..tense but a blast. Looking forward to more DLC.

Well, it's not that I don't like them, I have just played so many hundreds of hours of zombie games (DR2 & DI each twice, along with many others before), and seen so many dozens of zombie movies in the last few years that the entire genre is starting to get very mundane and tiring for me. Every time I see yet another movie or game with "Dead _____" or "____ of the Dead" title, I roll my eyes a little. :rolleyes:

I'm just taking a break for a while, but I'm sure to be back (when DR3 is $10). :D

I couldn't play Dead Rising 1, just everything about it was garbage. Dead Rising 2 is ok I've put a few hours into it, but having already played DR3 its just not very fun. The movement in DR2 was really slow and you had to use Stations to make stuff, find blueprints to make much of anything. In DR3 they took all that away. You can actually move like a normal person now. tons of vehicles and mods. You're not tied to any location or blue prints anymore. Blue prints show you how to make stuff but you can just experiment and figure them out on your own now.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that so many people are easily frightened these days?

Is it just me or does anyone else think that so many people are easily frightened these days?

You should read the Polygon review of this game. The reviewer basically had 'moral' issues with using melee weapons against zombies. That's right! Issues with killing zombies in a melee zombie game. It was one of the worst articles/''reviews'' about a zombie game I have ever read.

I recommend reading it for the lulz -- then again you would have to visit Polygon.com...so there's that.

Last edited:
I am about one third through the game and it runs very well and looks very good on the system in my sig. I have been streaming this game almost everyday and many of my viewers and friends have purchased it based on watching me play. There is no doubt that it is extremely predictable with a mediocre story line at best...But....The game is extremely enjoyable! It is a console port through and through, but it looks and feels great. I am enjoying it and I know sixty bucks is a high price tag, but I definitely don't feel i wasted my money or more importantly....my time.

Decent game, maybe if it came out sooner. The zombie genre is so overdone at this point, sure its a bit of fun but combining mirrors edge with zombies is unremarkable. While playing it I was like oh god, that mission with the insane guy with his mom just seemed trying too hard and was annoying. As a game to jump in and mess around with mechanics and graphics are nice, story and missions are phoned in and I lost interest quick. Its well done but so is the genre. :eek:

Maybe if they added zombie eagles randomly attacking..:p

I really think all that matters is: Is the game fun to you and fun for you? If so, then that's really all that matters. Could it be better? Sure, but we can say that about probably 99 percent of the games ever created :p

I saw a friend playing it on his high end laptop and I liked what I saw enough that it will be the first game I purchase once I buy all the parts for my PC.

Maybe if they added zombie eagles randomly attacking..:p

Slow zombies get boring fast. That's why you make them fast with a mod. They'll climb up to get you but usually end up falling and killing themselves. Bridges at night are a death trap if you're not careful. I doubt I'd have made it past few hours without this mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/37/?

When you really get bored and want to go bonkers get the Ultimate Ninja mod. It's a bit like Fist of the North Star from Dead Island but not as crazy.

It's one of those buy when it's $7.50 @ Steam titles, which is pretty much every single title released these days.

It's one of those buy when it's $7.50 @ Steam titles, which is pretty much every single title released these days.

DL is a damn solid game and is worth the ~$40 most of us are getting it for. The fact that the devs are releasing modding tools will only make the game better and better.

I am 32hours in and still haven't finished the game. Well worth the price of admission

Parkour not as strong as in Titanfall. However it's a good game, challenging. This game is definitely great co-op.

GetOffMyLawn.jpg

But I do love all the valuable insight from people that haven't even played it. Problem is, if everyone waited for "$7.50 Steam sale" then pretty much no single title would be released these days, and then these same shortsighted people would be the first to complain "where have all the PC games gone?".

I got it for $45 from GMG, and its grown on me enough that I'd gladly re-buy for $60 if I had to go back and do it again and a lower price didn't exist. First hour of game I wasn't sure what to think but then it picked up. Co-op'ing with friends and just cruising around jumping rooftop to rooftop looking for loot is a total blast. Popping heads with an assault rifle or shotty is glorious. I would like to put a flyswatter to the face of the guy that voice acted the protagonist however; relentlessly and without end.

Last edited:
The red and blue color shifting effects drive me insane.... especially noticeable with my 5760x1080 setup since the outer monitors are slightly stretched anyway.... game is much much better without that and the filmgrain effect IMO.

Sooooo reminds me of the HOLY CRAP EVERY GAME HAS BLOOM NOW CAUSE ITS A NEW THING EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP!

About 7 hours in, single player only so far, and for as simple as the game is it is definitely entertaining,

The voice acting of the main character is good enough to make me actually laugh at some of it. The combat seems a little meh so far, but I think its mostly that I haven't quite figured out its finer points yet.

Gawd, the looting tho. Jeeeeeeezus, I understand why its not instant and all, but damn, that can be tedious some times.

Gawd, the looting tho. Jeeeeeeezus, I understand why its not instant and all, but damn, that can be tedious some times.

I've just learned to run a short distance away and come back so that all the loot is neatly packaged on the ground while all the corpses have already rotted away. :D

I've just learned to run a short distance away and come back so that all the loot is neatly packaged on the ground while all the corpses have already rotted away. :D

Yes, exactly! Also the perk you can choose to help you loot faster is nice. For a while I would go to a highly populated area and just fire bomb the shit out of it, taking out all nearby zombie herds. Wait a couple minutes, and all their loot is in packages littered over the ground. At that point you just need to hit your loot button once, no need to hold it down. :)

GetOffMyLawn.jpg

But I do love all the valuable insight from people that haven't even played it. Problem is, if everyone waited for "$7.50 Steam sale" then pretty much no single title would be released these days, and then these same shortsighted people would be the first to complain "where have all the PC games gone?".

Don't worry, there's always enough sheeple to pay $60 for a title without doing research first to support the developers even if it's a shitty game. ;)

Not sure what you're referring to but I know I can't play those jump scare games like Outlast. It's just not enjoyable for me to have a heart attack every couple minutes.

Not sure what you're referring to but I know I can't play those jump scare games like Outlast. It's just not enjoyable for me to have a heart attack every couple minutes.

Don't get me started on jumpscares. Hence my hopes are high for the new Silent Hill title to break that bad habit and re-introduce the good old times when the focus was on tense psychological horror.

Don't get me started on jumpscares. Hence my hopes are high for the new Silent Hill title to break that bad habit and re-introduce the good old times when the focus was on tense psychological horror.

I haven't played one since Silent Hill 2. It's definitely on my top 5 best games of all time. I own 3-5 but I just keep putting them off.

Flushing $59 down toilet hurts more than 5 dollars. This game will be cheap by the end of the year.

Wasn't really the point. Guy said he wasn't a zombie fan. So don't see how 60$ or 5$ is relevant. It's still the same game lol

Back