Anthem Accused Of Failure To Inform Customers Hit By Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
This just keeps getting worse every time we hear about it.

In a letter sent to Anthem, the attorneys general said that "few follow-up details have been made available, and none at all about how individuals can sign up for the protections Anthem will provide them." The letter expressed "alarm" at Anthem's failure thus far to follow up with customers impacted by the hack.

I got a notice from my employer about the hack and mentioning Anthem's intention to provide the credit monitoring and identity theft protections. Still haven't heard a peep from Anthem themselves.

I got a notice from my employer about the hack and mentioning Anthem's intention to provide the credit monitoring and identity theft protections. Still haven't heard a peep from Anthem themselves.
Nor has anyone else I've met. How many of the 80-million plus letters they need to send have actually gone out?

some folks were saying its not PHI therefore not covered under HIPAA HITECH act for reporting breaches asap or face fines up the pmitap.

I saw a letter given to my company saying they are going to send letters to customers and 1 year of credit protection... However considering the don't have my new address I'm not sure how I'm going to get the letter lol... I would love to see go under for this but considering the limited liability bestowed on them that will never happen. Perhaps I'll get a few penny's once the class actions get settled haha...

Anyway I put freezes on my credit reports with the bureaus rather than wait to find out I'm getting fucked. Something I wanted to do years ago but it seemed like it was a pain in the ass. Considering these credit monitoring services are pretty much worthless compared to a credit freeze and with the usability being made easier in the past few years it was a no brainier to go with a freeze. It just sucks that I can't change my SS# and of course I can't really do anything more than be vigilant with my current accounts, however those are getting better with instant notifications about charges and changes to accounts.

Same here. I hope the AGs do go after Anthem for this, their non-action seems very Sony like to me.

If people actually read the letter, they said in the coming weeks you would get notified if you are affected. This was announced last week? This is just ambulance chasers trying to get their name out there because Anthem can't print and mail 30 million pieces of mail in a weeks time.

some folks were saying its not PHI therefore not covered under HIPAA HITECH act for reporting breaches asap or face fines up the pmitap.

Full patient names with socials alone is PHI for a health care company, and is absolutely 100% a HIPAA violation. I work in the industry, and even data files that contain only this information are encrypted and sent only over secure channels. They face up to 10k per violation, so their fine better be closer to 1bil than 100mil. They need to hurt bad from this, so they improve security, and others do as well after seeing the fine.

Don't judge them too harshly until all the details are made public. This was nothing like the Target breach. My data is out there now along with the rest of it so I'm just as frustrated as everyone else.

I had them at a previous employer last year so there's no chance my previous employer is going to notify me. They did say it was going to take some time to get all the notifications our because they're coming via snail mail.

Back