Boston Dynamics' New Robot Is "Spot"

Now the way the robot maneuvered after being kicked was freaky real. Our end is near.

just imagine the BIG one getting up to a full trot or jog speed, and then ramming the shit out of whatever it's target is.

Would be so awesome to watch.

One thing is for sure, those won't be used for stealth "you hear a jet engine outside?"

I actually felt kinda bad when people were kicking it. I know I shouldn't, but instinctually those feelings rose up in me.

How long does the charge last?

Need one to fetch my quad drone...

...and why is that thing not one the battlefield with an m60 on its back today??? The issue is probably jamming/hacking, right?

BTW Where is the obligatory line about bowing down to our robot masters?

I actually felt kinda bad when people were kicking it. I know I shouldn't, but instinctually those feelings rose up in me.

hah, ya my first thought was "aww poor thing!"

but watching it again the way it recovered was really freaking impressive

...and why is that thing not one the battlefield with an m60 on its back today??? The issue is probably jamming/hacking, right?

1. Cost
2. Range
3. Noise (although the new one is much quieter)
4. Its a solution without a need.

The idea was bred out of the crazy terrain of Afghanistan. Being able to have a mechanical donkey for soldiers to slap their packs on, or better yet, a mechanical stretcher bearer to haul the wounded back without forcing everyone to retreat to cover one man. The problem is, at its current state, a donkey is still better and the USA is almost completely out of Afghanistan.

Boston Dynamics does get a lot of military funding, but I suspect these walking creations will likely end up serving more civilian uses first through advanced prosthetics and the AI and navigation systems would be greatly served on warehouse machines like automated forklifts. Until this thing has a hundred+ mile range, I sincerely doubt the military will pick it up. At this point wheeled and winged robots serve the military much better.

Me too. Thank goodness for stupid computer chips without feelings eh?

Now the way the robot maneuvered after being kicked was freaky real. Our end is near.

Yep, very impressive recovery. What was disappointing was when it climbed stairs. It just plopped it's feet anywhere as if it only has one 'gait' if you will. I suppose that's adequate with its recovery ability.

Out of all the robots i've seen the dog one has the most potential in the field.

Boston Dynamics does get a lot of military funding, but I suspect these walking creations will likely end up serving more civilian uses first through advanced prosthetics

All I can think of is the boss from Monsters Inc.

I always thought our future robotic overlords would be two legged. Damn, now I will have to bow even lower to below the height of a four-legged version.

OK, how much?

They keep making these robots, when are they going to start selling them?

Back