Extreme Drone Crashes

A bunch of random equipment failures. Some people flying outside their skill level into things. A couple amusing animal attacks (bulldog/goose/ram). One mid-air R/C plane collision. One moron flying the thing into his buddy.

Nothing I'd call "extreme". Just expected outcomes of the hobby.

Okay, the ram attack was pretty cool. I'll give it that one.

lol idiot pilots ive got a Yuneec q500 and has yet to crash

yunn.jpg

That is so cool castlefire, these lil drones are taking photography to a whole new level! Super awesome.

..soooo don't buy a DJI? Gotcha.

Naah, just learn to fly and you're free to get anything. Of course, Phantom users tend to be like five year olds that only know the "Stop" and "Go" pedals, and wonder what the big circle thing in front of them does.

The crashes in the video can be broken into two categories. One are the "Damnit! My $800!" crowd, the other are "What a RUSH! Lets do that again!!!" people :)

The forest proximity guys tend to keep flying until either their quad gets totalled or they run out of propellers. When these guys crash, rather than get pissed their quad got broken, they're pissed because their flying got 'interrupted', the quad damage is a non-issue :D

For those of you who fly these things, are there GPS trackers you can get for them to locate them when they've crashed? My brother in law lost his QX350 and GoPro 3 a few weeks ago due to flying too high over a forested area. He hasn't been able to locate it yet.

sigh... I'm so tired of the 'drone' name people are giving RC helicopters these days. :eek:

my point remains. These aren't drones... They are remote controlled quadcoptors just like RC helicopters aren't DRONES either. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those words like 'hack' or 'cloud'.

For those of you who fly these things, are there GPS trackers you can get for them to locate them when they've crashed? My brother in law lost his QX350 and GoPro 3 a few weeks ago due to flying too high over a forested area. He hasn't been able to locate it yet.

There are two GPS related ways.

#1 Buy one of those GPS trackers that uses sim cards, you usually mount these on cars and you text it if you want to know where the car is and it will reply with the GPS coordinates. The downside is that it needs cellphone and satellite reception so if you crash in a blindspot, it won't help much. They usually pretty bulky, but people just get rid of the casing to make it lighter and only mount the circuitboard.

#2 If your flight controller supports it, display the GPS coordinates on your OSD and keep your groundstation recording. When you crash, you rewind the DVR, copy the screen coorinates into google maps, and you'll get the exact location of where it went down.

I personally figure it's a 1:20 ratio of flying time to fixing time on my multi-rotors. It's roughly 20:1 in the good way with RC planes. I've got five home made multirotors in my closet I gave up on last year. Not worth the hassle. You have to fly extremely close because of orientation issues or fly FPV.

It's more fun to fly line of sight. FPV is more technical achievement than than it is entertainment. Allot more prep needs to go into each flight. So much of what would be FPV fun is also against the law, common courtesy, or very expensive if something goes wrong. Sucks being an adult.

http://youtu.be/Mj7ZTJp_prM

Back