Monitoring Julian Assange Has Cost The UK Government $15M

HardOCP News

[H] News
$15,000 a day to babysit this clown? Ugh. I feel bad for the UK taxpayers. :(

Earlier this month the Met revealed that policing the embassy had cost an estimated £9 million up until October last year. That equates to roughly £10,500 per day --- and if you project that forward, it means the entire affair has now crossed the £10 million mark.

So.... a pittance compared to a bunch of other stuff they wasted money on.

i dont understand why it costs so much. Give me 2million I will a team monitor him for a year

i dont understand why it costs so much. Give me 2million I will a team monitor him for a year

Yeah, this seems a bit extreme, I mean how many people do they have watching the embassy?

If we assume a rate of pay of $100,000 USD for each officer, that would mean there are 150 people assigned to watch the embassy full time. WTF?!?!?

This was discussed before and if I remember correctly this was the cost of monitoring more than just him but for headlines they didn't bother working only the additional cost associated directly with him.

That's only about the cost of 2 toilet seats and a hammer in government money.. so what's the big deal? :rolleyes:

This is fucking hilarious.

If anything proves that Julian is not just an accuse "Another rapist on the run" as the media likes to spin him as, look no further than the proof with this.

The government wouldn't spend 15 MILLION dollars just to monitor an accused rapist, this is absurd.

I'm pretty sure that if the Swedes get hold of him, they'll send his butt to the US. The whole thing stinks to high Heaven. At least it's not my country that's footing the bill for this witch hunt.

15million is chump change to silence dissent, we'll probably split the bill with the UK.

This is fucking hilarious.

If anything proves that Julian is not just an accuse "Another rapist on the run" as the media likes to spin him as, look no further than the proof with this.

The government wouldn't spend 15 MILLION dollars just to monitor an accused rapist, this is absurd.

What it proves is that this guy probably cost the Brits and maybe others much more in development and operational costs for a now defunct and useless Intelligence Gathering System and those can cost more then enough to make this expenditure seem very small compared to the risk of letting him run free to his own devices again.

Silencing dissent has nothing to do with it. Outing Intelligence Sources can have everything to do with it. Embarrassing Allies and upsetting populations in unstable regions, 15 million is nothing compared to the costs of maintaining active Military Support in underdeveloped nations.

I'm pretty sure that if the Swedes get hold of him, they'll send his butt to the US. The whole thing stinks to high Heaven. At least it's not my country that's footing the bill for this witch hunt.

That's been the issue since day one.

The only reason this came up in Sweden is cause US can get him extradited to the states to "Stand trial" for "Giving away secrets" etc, given that even though he's not a US citizen he can still somehow stand trial for it.

Senators have repeatedly been asked about this issue, over and over again, and they always keep giving the run around.

The people openly ask "Why don't you grand Assange amnesty for this? So the States doesn't try to extradite him for false charges"

"Why should we grant him amnesty? Has he done anything wrong?"

"So you're saying he's done nothing wrong?"

"I dunno, we'd have to question on him on that"

"But you will only question him if he comes to america, where you can charge him?"

"Why would we charge him? Has he committed any crimes?"

"Why don't you talk to him over-seas then?"

"We much rather talk to him on US soil"

"He won't come to US soil, cause you're going to trump up charges on him"

"What charges? Has he done anything wrong? Why should we grand amnesty to somebody if they've done nothing wrong?"

And on and on and on and on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, the eternal fucking run around

figured he would have used the old banana in the tailpipe trick by now.

That's been the issue since day one.

The only reason this came up in Sweden is cause US can get him extradited to the states to "Stand trial" for "Giving away secrets" etc, given that even though he's not a US citizen he can still somehow stand trial for it.

US law can be applied everywhere, except for a few hostile countries.

At least they had set a firm spending limit for THX 1138. Even that society was more logical I guess...

$15K/day? They must have 30 officers stationed around the building waiting for him. It's not like they have to do it that way. Probably bankrolled by the US anyway.

I think Julian Assange is an ass clown. That said, this cost should not be put on him. he just slipped into the embassy, and the UK is not paying for his care. They are paying to catch him for extradition as a result of US political pressure. If anything, this cost is the burden of being friends with American Politika. If you don't agree, what other rapist has the UK spent 15 million trying to catch?

While Assange a creepy little hubris filled cretin, the idea that the UK is dumping $15 million to make sure this sad sack of a human being doesn't escape the Ecuadoran consulate in a diplomatic pouch only tells me that government is as stupid in its management of it's peoples money as is the person it is trying to spy on. Is there no limit to what the UK will waste on making sure this guy doesn't leave the country while whole swaths of the UK are being taken over by radical militant Islamic Sharia lovers beheading bobbies in broad daylight in the streets?

Sweden should just a sure him that he wont be handed over to another country... problem solved

While Assange a creepy little hubris filled cretin, the idea that the UK is dumping $15 million to make sure this sad sack of a human being doesn't escape the Ecuadoran consulate in a diplomatic pouch only tells me that government is as stupid in its management of it's peoples money as is the person it is trying to spy on. Is there no limit to what the UK will waste on making sure this guy doesn't leave the country while whole swaths of the UK are being taken over by radical militant Islamic Sharia lovers beheading bobbies in broad daylight in the streets?

Embasies are constantly watched anyway, so I guess that most of quoted expenses would happen even if that moron never existed.

It's peanuts beside the money they spend on the daily interest that accrues on their government's borrowing, just like in the US, where some ~$525,000,000+ a day goes to service interest on the US Federal debt. (Assuming interest rates don't go up, which could quickly double/triple that amount.) That's only *part* of the Federal debt--which amounts to every man, woman and child in the US (~320,000,000) paying ~$1.69 every day, 24/7/365, in extra/hidden taxation, just to serve the existing debt--which is slated to continue to increase unless government spending drops to a level where it matches the tax revenue the government collects (balanced budget.) And that is a very doubtful proposition...;)

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/21960

Back