FAA Allowing Companies To Start Claiming Territory On The Moon

HardOCP News

[H] News
This sounds a lot worse than it actually is. Honestly, I was half expecting something like this.

In a previously undisclosed letter obtained by Reuters from the FAA to Bigelow Aerospace, the agency says it’s aiming to “leverage the FAA’s existing launch licensing authority to encourage private sector investments in space systems by ensuring that commercial activities can be conducted on a non-interference basis.”

The moon needs to be left alone.
We really shouldnt fuck everything up.

Atm it looks great and does what it has done for billions of years and we evolved used to that, as has wildlife and the oceans etc.
Change this at our peril.

I am pretty sure Apple already has a Patent covering:

"Large celestial body experiencing rotational velocity while in gravitational equilibrium"

So nobody is going to use the moon without paying them 30%.

If it's somehow profitable to own a land on the moon, then I don't see why not.

Good luck with that, though.

Damn, corporate off-shoring is really getting out of hand.

Undisclosed, eh? I wonder what the thoughts are of other countries on this situation.

What exactly gives the FAA the right to sell land on the moon ?

Exactly. We have a flag there and everything!

The radiation from the sun has bleached the flags so they're completely white.

So really, France has flags on the moon...

America 2.0! Better because, this time, we don't have to displace an entire continent's worth of people to start profiting from it's resources, we just have to be there first. Also, we don't even need slaves this time, Google is building us robots!

I haven't read all the text, but i thought the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 prohibits 'ownership' of celestial bodies... http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty_of_1967

I think this came up once before somewhere after companies started selling land on the moon as some kind of scam through a loose interpretation of the wording.

From the article:

To be clear, this wouldn’t mean that a company would actually own that spot[/b[, or be able to run ads on it like, “The Man in the Moon! Brought to you courtesy of Comcast!” (whew).

Instead, this preliminary step by the U.S. government would allow companies to simply stake claims through an already existing licensing processing for space launches, reports Reuters.

Or the government can just get the fuck out of putting rules on space, corporations could do whatever they want and hey maybe we'll have a Moon base, maybe we'll have a Mars base, sure the outcome of that future is probably closer to Blade Runner than it is Star Trek, but lets be honest, we're too fucked up a race for Star Trek type shit to ever happen..

The radiation from the sun has bleached the flags so they're completely white.

So really, France has flags on the moon...

All right new deal: Whoever invades and holds France gets the moon!

I laid claim to the entire moon decades ago, before America ever landed on it. The contracted agreement was with the Almighty Himself, as He was the other party. The Hosts were witness. I have assurances that MY property will be vigorously protected from any corporate incursion. Everyone knows when you get corps mucking around in extraterrestrial activities, pretty soon it's killer aliens everywhere. My ownership has ever been a peaceful one, sans killer aliens. Please endorse my claims over all corp greedy grasping. Thank You.[/I]

You start this shit...and the chinese will owe half of it before you even finish your hamburger.

Dear FAA, go fuck yourselves. And good luck enforcing who claims the moon dickheads.

I'm not sure US corps are capable of taking the moon back from the Hive.

I'm USA and all, but...

Who the fuck says WE own it?

The moon should fair game to everyone, first one to build a colony there gets to claim it. Let the space race begin ;)

Aliens live under the dark side, we no longer have a claim.
Its a prelude to strengthening their invasion force.

All the hate, over basically saying "here's where you land, and here's where you land, so we don't fuck each other's shit up and thus increase the feasibility of going to the moon."

No one's laying claim to the moon, RTFA.

Back