Why Taiwan Is Right To Ban iPads For Kids

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hell, why stop at children in Taiwan? The ban should be for everyone...everywhere. :D

Parents who fail to comply with the new "Child and Youth Welfare Protection Act" -- or rather, fail to enforce it upon their children -- may be fined 50,000 Taiwan dollars ($1,576). Now, as much as I dislike the excesses of bloated, interfering governments, I couldn't help but emit a yelp of joy when I read of these developments in Taiwan (which follow similar measures in China and South Korea).

Last edited:
Although their heart may be in the right place (depending on your attitude towards legislation that is justified by its "for the children" aspects), this does seem highly unenforceable (as the article mentions) ... short of monitoring the activities (and users) on every tablet you would never know if someone was violating the law (unless they somehow chose to do it in your presence) ... and it is also unclear what they mean by "electronic devices" (is a TV an electronic device, what about a computer, what about a video game console or Blu Ray player, is this only for tablets and phones) ... and this is not even getting into their wording of "an amount of time that is not unreasonable" (who determines that, is it the same for all ages, is it cumulative for all electronic devices) ... this seems to be the sort of meaningless legislation that is passed so that politicians can claim to have addressed an issue without actually doing something concrete ;)

Guess they will have to switch to portable TV's to babysit their kids :)

The parents probably love this, because its a lot easier to force compliance when you can justify it to your kids saying "listen you sub-adult, you were an accident, no one is happy with the situation, but its the law so obey or we will turn you in to the police".

Since you can't parent on your own, we'll do it for you. If this helps just one child.....

Yes, there are shitty parents out there. But, laws like this seem to tell the whole country "You suck as a parent. We know how to parent better than you do, so we'll make the laws for your children.".

Taiwan.... where the adults don't know how to parent, I guess.

I guess they don't want their children to grow up with their heads permanently tilted down in a 45 degree angle. And they talk to each other by texting even though they are right next to each other. That seems to be what one of my cousin's kids are heading to.

They aren't kids... they are babies... under 2 isn't a kid it is a BABY!! no a baby should NOT be using a iPad.
I have two kids, neither play with an iPad, and don't plan to let them tell they know what it even is.

They aren't kids... they are babies... under 2 isn't a kid it is a BABY!! no a baby should NOT be using a iPad.
I have two kids, neither play with an iPad, and don't plan to let them tell they know what it even is.

I agree. But, should the government make that decision for you? What if they decide that milk isn't good for kids and ban that? My (almost adopted) daughter doesn't use my iPad. She doesn't watch TV. She plays with toys and reads books (well, I do the reading). I guess she has used the iPad, but only to Facetime my parents.

The law they passed restricts the access to electronic devices for all children under the age of 18 ;)

Lawmakers passed a revision to the Protection of Children and Youths Welfare and Rights Act on Friday to expand existing regulations that ban children aged under 18 from smoking, drinking, chewing betel nut and using drugs to cover the use of electronic devices, Central News Agency reported.

The new regulation stipulates that juveniles "may not constantly use electronic products for a period of time that is not reasonable," according to the amendment.

Wow big government actually comes through. Piss poor parenting is no longer an American thing as it has become a major problem everywhere. I am sick of how kids of these new generations are acting like little shits. My generation would never dream of acting this way when we were little. Many of the bad kids remember a belt called Old Blackie at my school.

Wow big government actually comes through. Piss poor parenting is no longer an American thing as it has become a major problem everywhere. I am sick of how kids of these new generations are acting like little shits. My generation would never dream of acting this way when we were little. Many of the bad kids remember a belt called Old Blackie at my school.

*infinity except for the belt part

Good, I argue with my mom about this all the time. Every time my 6 year old goes over there she just lets him play on her iPad for hours on end and it drives me batty. I let my kid play 1-2 hours a weekend, and even then it's only things like Lego avengers and minecraft, I know way to many parents who just cram an iPad in their kids faces and then wonder why they all act like social rejects who can't interact with each other.

I believe that government should never get involved with this kind of thing, ever. All government does is power grab and screw things up. They'll screw this up too. Name one thing Government has actually done right long term.

This kind of crap is why i dont come around much anymore. Just post the news, save this crap for your blog.
An opinion is that offensive to your sensibilities? Its not like its diarrhea of the mouth hiding the article...

*infinity except for the belt part

That belt kept a lot of kids straight. Discipline only fell apart when we got this new age wannabe principle who stopped nearly any type of discipline because it was mostly black kids getting into trouble and she did not think that was fair. The previous principle was simply doing what those POS parents weren't doing at home. This was a rough school in a bad neighborhood.

That belt kept a lot of kids straight. Discipline only fell apart when we got this new age wannabe principle who stopped nearly any type of discipline because it was mostly black kids getting into trouble and she did not think that was fair. The previous principle was simply doing what those POS parents weren't doing at home. This was a rough school in a bad neighborhood.
Its just part of the liberal agenda come to fruition.

Did you hear recently that a kid was expelled from Kindergarten because he made a "terroristic threat towards another student"?

His parents had just brought him to watch the film "The Hobbit" and had given him a ring to wear around his neck. The boy told another student he could "make him disappear with his ring".

The school stated that "making someone disappear" whether a physical threat or one of sorcery is an act of violence, and expelled the boy.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/education/article_6b47c224-a8d2-11e4-8989-1f5b0d13dadd.html

Good, I argue with my mom about this all the time. Every time my 6 year old goes over there she just lets him play on her iPad for hours on end and it drives me batty. I let my kid play 1-2 hours a weekend, and even then it's only things like Lego avengers and minecraft, I know way to many parents who just cram an iPad in their kids faces and then wonder why they all act like social rejects who can't interact with each other.

I never had access to an iPad when I was little, and I'm a social reject who can't interact with others. Explain.

iPads are toys to kids. Like any toy, or like cookies, cake, candy, and other things you don't want kids obsessing over, it all comes down to having a time for it and a time not for it. My toddler has an iPad, and while it's 'hers' she learned early on that the iPad isn't omnipresent. It doesn't leave the house, and it can be taken from her at anytime. It is not her #1 thing, it's just one of her things. She will happily give it up in favor of going to the park, or shopping, or bath time, or whatever.

Now we just need her to learn she can't take ALL of her stuffed animals everywhere.

technology can be good for kids with autism or behavior disorders. there are several studies to back this up for a way to students to vent/learn effectively.

going from one extreme to another is not the best option.

Funny, this is actually the very first time I have actually heard of this news.

I live on the bloody island.

But the issue with our parenting is no longer the laws that restrict the way we parent, but the parents no longer give a damn when it matters most. We already have one of the lowest birthrates in the world, and we probably have a higher rate of employed parents than most other countries in the world due to the fact that our companies prefer to hire more people using the same wages than to increase wages for single employer, and our laws are doing f'all about it. Add long working hours (12 working hours, usually without extra pay, is more the norm than exception) to that mix, we end up with spending less time with your kids than with your desk.

Our government has a knack for targetting symptoms, not root causes, since those root causes are usually what got them into government in the first place.

As we have a saying, Taiwan isn't a place that is run by humans.

Don't constantly use it for an unreasonable amount of time! Sounds like a nonsense law.

I bought my daughter an android tablet when she was about 3 and a half, shes now 6.5 and still has the same tablet, is a model student and well ahead of her classmates.

It's a learning tool and a recreational reward. Let's ban TV's because some parents let their kids watch too much. Whatever.

I was born in 1969 and I saw shitty parents not parenting using NO "virtual babysitter" - it was called letting them run around on the streets. This isn't a new thing people.

technology can be good for kids with autism or behavior disorders. there are several studies to back this up for a way to students to vent/learn effectively.

going from one extreme to another is not the best option.
I used to date a special ed. teacher who worked with kids with autism and other behavior disorders. I had just bought an iPad and she wanted to try using it in her classroom so she traded me her macbook. I fell in love with OS X and she told me her students fell in love with the iPad. I started using MacBooks for all my portable computing and she never gave me my iPad back.

She said they really lit up when she pulled it out and they were really interactive. That's not my speciality nor interest, but from her description they benefitted greatly from using an iPad in the classroom under supervision.

Fuck taiwan, China and South korea

God bless America, were children can play video games and use tablets all they want.

Back