Amazon In Talks To Buy Some Of RadioShack's Stores

HardOCP News

[H] News
What a great idea! Instead of going to BestBuy for a little "showrooming" in preparation for your next online purchase, you can cut out the middle man altogether and do it all at an Amazon store. ;)

Amazon has considered using the RadioShack stores as showcases for the Seattle-based company’s hardware, as well as potential pickup and drop-off centers for online customers, said one of the people, who asked not to be named because the deliberations are private.

Kind of wondered when Amazon would get into brick and mortar, it's not like that haven't done everything else.

Would be good spot for a Return Center and the UPS truck to stop and pick up or drop off stuff without making extra deliveries.

Best thing that could happen to Radio Shack. Amazon Fire Phone sales for everyone on AT&T!

Would be good spot for a Return Center and the UPS truck to stop and pick up or drop off stuff without making extra deliveries.

Buying out RadioShack locales would be an awesome way to go nationwide with Amazon Locker. Shipping to home is risky and shipping to work is not viable now that the USPS is fouling things up.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
um.... aren't about 80%+ of Radioshacks located in an indoor MALL?

And how many of us enjoy going to the mall?

*crickets*.....

I would never utilize a pickup/dropoff location if it was at Radioshack. UPS is much more convenient for me.

Maybe ten years ago. Radio Shacks can't afford indoor Mall rent. The nine RSs near me are all in outdoor strip malls.

*crickets*.....

I would never utilize a pickup/dropoff location if it was at Radioshack. UPS is much more convenient for me.

Agreed on the mall part. However, I do have a local RadioShack near me that is a regular store. If I could order my stuff online and simply drive there now and pick it up the same day then I'd probably do that instead. I do have Prime and love the 2-day shipping so that's my backup plan if Amazon doesn't buy that RS near me.

stuff like this will make Amazons prices go up as they'll have more overhead.

I dislike this information.

But... it now gives them a location in the state, which means they need to charge sales tax for all purchases from that state...

That's not going to stop me from shopping from them. The sales tax is a non-issue.

I was just there. I'd love it if I was 17 of under. My teenage boys loved it. MILF's were abound, but they had their 3 kids with them. I found the Uggs and leggings area of the wild, though. TONS of them.

Personally, other than some cute MILF's, it was pretty bad. People with no manners running around, people not watching their kids... I spend most of my time in Barnes and Noble. Find a few good books. Wife goes shopping.

I think Amazon will do good with this. Almost like Apple stores. Just a presence to help get word out there for people without internet or that don't spend a lot of time on the internet.

But... it now gives them a location in the state, which means they need to charge sales tax for all purchases from that state...

Pay your way, you liberal freeloading hippy! ;) I like living in Oregon. No sales tax! Visit Washington, and get tax taken off. :) I do feel bad for you guys that do. Especially when I visit other states and buy things and see the total jump way up... Oh, tax....

Shipping to home is risky and shipping to work is not viable now that the USPS is fouling things up.

I feel this way since at home the box will sit on my porch all day where anyone driving by can steal it. At work all USPS packages get routed to a mail room that serves 10s of thousands of other workers and thousands of students (university). At times this has caused me some grief since I have had delivery confirmations days before actually getting my package.

I've been saying Amazon should have some local stores for showcasing and to make returns of big items easier FOR YEARS. Glad they picked up on it. I guess my personal emails to Bezos were being ignored for some reason.

THAT being said... why bother with Radio Shack stores? Unless they get a HELL of a deal on the real estate and used inventory, seems like it would be easier to start from scratch and not bring RS's haunted nighmare luggage along for the ride.

Except most RadioShack locations are inside malls. Not exactly the best location for dropping off and picking up a lot of boxes.

Maybe this will be for actual Amazon retail stores where we can maybe buy stuff like CPU's or video cards and things like that. Even if they cost a little more I'd likely buy from there because I'll pay a little more for instant gratification and not have to wait on shipping and it would be nice if something went wrong to have an actual store to go to and talk to an actual person to get the issue resolved. This would be great for those of us that don't have a Frys or Microcenter anywhere near them.

Except most RadioShack locations are inside malls. Not exactly the best location for dropping off and picking up a lot of boxes.

How do you think all the merchandise gets to the stores? Most indoor malls have delivery halls and doors for each shop. Anchor stores usually had their own docks. When I was a teen, we played in the halls until security kicked us out. Then later when I worked at Vans, we got daily shipments of stuff. UPS, FedEx, Consolidated Freight, private trucks. Some dropped off at the common dock, some delivered to our back door.

There was also a bank deposit box in the back hallways, and how some stores were robbed back in the late 90's. http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...nkdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=x1kEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5012,3466207

they already charge sales tax in California. The funny part is that since they started charging sales tax, I have actually bought more stuff from Amazon. as their price is still lower most the time when I include the free shipping.

At work all USPS packages get routed to a mail room that serves 10s of thousands of other workers and thousands of students (university). At times this has caused me some grief since I have had delivery confirmations days before actually getting my package.

So it's not just me. I work in higher ed too. Even work-related Amazon orders my dept makes get delayed up to FIVE days in Central Mail. Longer, if the package weighs more than 2 lbs. :rolleyes:

How do you think all the merchandise gets to the stores? Most indoor malls have delivery halls and doors for each shop. Anchor stores usually had their own docks. When I was a teen, we played in the halls until security kicked us out. Then later when I worked at Vans, we got daily shipments of stuff. UPS, FedEx, Consolidated Freight, private trucks. Some dropped off at the common dock, some delivered to our back door.

There was also a bank deposit box in the back hallways, and how some stores were robbed back in the late 90's. http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...nkdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=x1kEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5012,3466207

I worked at a radio shack while in college (many years ago), and the long back hallway was a tough delivery for anything large. we had a very small back room that would have been very limiting for storing orders, our normal every 2 week order usually filled the room so much it was difficult to unpack larger boxes.

I have an empty RS and an empty Staples in town. Take them both. I would love a locker or return center nearby. Maybe even a shipping service or at least carrier drop off point since all I have locally is USPS.

Is this the return of the Sears catalog stores?
How can a B&M carry any thing close to the wide selection the online store does?
That is the main strength of Amazon.
I even buy auto part from them if they have it.

Is this the return of the Sears catalog stores?
How can a B&M carry any thing close to the wide selection the online store does?
That is the main strength of Amazon.
I even buy auto part from them if they have it.

The B&M should carry small stuff like cables and cases, while everything else is ordered from the catalog (on-line) and delivered in bulk to the store in a day or 2.

Even Walmart does free delivery to you local store for some stuff.

They are going to be forced to collect sales tax everywhere anyway, so why not compete with the fucks that fucked you and take away the last few foot shoppers out there.

Amazon needs to focus on their core business instead of creating value-added services and other ventures.

They are getting worse by the day and I almost never buy products from them because of: increasing prices, charging sales tax, and higher "free" shipping minimums designed to increase Prime membership.

Amazon also needs to fix their damn website; it is unbelievably awful and consumer hostile.

Product pages are cluttered and filled with useless junk. At least 80% of the page is non-information, advertisements, and cross-selling.

Their search engine is purposely inaccurate and basically unusable. There is no advanced search functionality or Boolean logic, which is desperately needed to refine and filter out Amazon’s fake search results and non-related items.

*crickets*.....

A while back when I was still working part-time at RadioShack, they were making a conscious effort to get out of indoor malls and concentrate on the outdoor/stripmall stores. They even had a renovation plan to make the mall stores look completely different from the stripmall stores, including different inventories at each. A lot of customers complained about it at the time.

Dang this could be a great idea. Stock some of the most common items. Offer same day delivery on stuff that's in the store for local Amazon prime members.

Back