Google Is Developing Its Own Uber Competitor

HardOCP News

[H] News
Uh oh Uber, it looks like the folks at Google might be coming after you. :eek:

Uber faces an ever-growing cast of adversaries that includes dubious regulators, litigious drivers, hostile members of the press, and some well-funded rivals. But the most significant threat to the app-based transportation company may be much closer to home: one of its biggest investors, Google.

while you can count me in on the whole self driving car thing.. for my commute it would be great.

but should you not see at least a few on the road for a bit before you start to plan on fleets of them acting as a taxi service?

though.. i do have to applaud them for some serious long term thinking

This is interesting. I'm a user of Uber. Some competition isn't bad.

Dear Google:

Stop with trying to compete with everyone on everything, and just roll out fiber to cities quicker. Chop chop!

Uber's two main problems have been its evasion of regulations and the mistrust of its drivers.

Is Google eventually planning to deploy its self driving cars with this service? That would be a great way to prove their viability to the public.

The owners of Uber obvious aren't onboard with the proper politically correct forward facing messaging. Google will start a service in enough key markets to kill their business model and once uber is gone, they'll close down their version, too.

I'm guessing Google isn't too fond with how Uber has been operating. Their petty anti-competitive tactics and downright douchebaggery may be one reason.

The owners of Uber obvious aren't onboard with the proper politically correct forward facing messaging. Google will start a service in enough key markets to kill their business model and once uber is gone, they'll close down their version, too.

I need to make a conspiracy theory generator; plug in a headline, output a conspiracy theory!

The Uber/Lyft model is good now, outside of the cost issues they may come under due to employment practices. But it really comes into its own with autonomous, particularly electric, vehicles. Super interested to see how this plays out.

Are they calling it Goober?

200_s.gif

Back