Windows 10 Is Coming To The Raspberry Pi 2 For Free

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you planning on picking up the new Raspberry Pi 2, Microsoft will be offering up a specialized version of Windows 10 for free.

Today the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced the retail availability of their new board, the Raspberry Pi 2. We’re excited to join the Foundation in also announcing that Windows 10 will support Raspberry Pi 2, which will be free for the Maker community through the Windows Developer Program for IoT later this year.

Has to be slow as molasses on MicroSD, cheaper than a NUC and netflix works in chrome now.

interested in seeing what windows on ARM is going to look like

i would have got a raspberry pi2 anyway, free windows is just a cherry on top

Did not expect. Just last night I was wondering about this --> next morning later, "whaaaaa?"

I thought Microsoft was dropping ARM support.

The board not being slow as molasses for the same price is a bigger story

I have a first generation I was using for some sensor monitoring (low power home automation) and Led lighting control. But due to hardware access and performance issues with python I have not been able to get a decent number of NeoPixels to work consistently (might be the first generation hardware).

I would rather code in C# than python, but that was even less likely to work well with NeoPixels due to timing requirements.

What I would LOVE to see is a .net hardware direct access library that keeps the garbage collector from interfering with timing that is developed by Microsoft and included as part of this package. I bet the first go is nothing more than a rebranded Windows RT but I am hopeful it can evolve into something awesome.

im glad.

I got the pi through my class, its my first time using python, linux, and github. combine those together + a professor that doesn't teach and you're pretty much done.

Why would it be any slower than Windows Phone, which runs on a similar level of hardware?

They say W10, but as mentioned above it will prolly be more of a limited RT version than full Pro. I suppose you could speed things up with a 120$ UHS, if supported, but still limited to the 1GB ram. Besides M$ is too proprietary in nature, pi fits more snugly in the linux camp.

Isn't this obvious to everyone that the Raspberry Pi 2 will run the mobile phone version of Windows 10? I mean the RP2 is basically a cell phone mainboard. Microsoft has been trying to blur to lines between phone, tablet and PC ever since Windows 8. That's why everyone hates Windows 8 in a desktop environment. Are you all just assuming it would run the desktop version because that's what you want? Since when does Microsoft give people what they want?

I would guess that, like other non x86 platforms, it will not have the ability to run Win32 apps. But, The potential of the "universal apps" running on pretty much every hardware platform and form factor is pretty good.

I would guess that, like other non x86 platforms, it will not have the ability to run Win32 apps. But, The potential of the "universal apps" running on pretty much every hardware platform and form factor is pretty good.

It was mentioned by the Pi's CEO that won't be Win32 compatible. There are already x86 equivalents for that if necessary but at higher price points. I can't wait for Build to see this in action and if modern apps will become more open for deployment. If Microsoft wants modern app to really take off it's going to have to not all be control through the Windows Store.

Did not expect. Just last night I was wondering about this --> next morning later, "whaaaaa?"

I thought Microsoft was dropping ARM support.

Why would they drop ARM support the RT and windows phone are all on some for of ARM...
what they are doing is getting back into a market that they screwed their selves out of when they fell behind on doing anything with Windows Embedded Compact / Windows CE and dropped the ball ...

Have a B and used it with retropi for a bit, now I am using it as a squeeze box for audio. Was looking to get another for home automation, but with the power of this new one it might be replacing my chromebox. Looking forward to reading reviews on how it handles openelec/xbmc.

Why would they drop ARM support the RT and windows phone are all on some for of ARM...
what they are doing is getting back into a market that they screwed their selves out of when they fell behind on doing anything with Windows Embedded Compact / Windows CE and dropped the ball ...

And meanwhile they're in fact dropping RT support. No Windows 10 for all the suckers that bought Surface RT's. So there's that.

And meanwhile they're in fact dropping RT support. No Windows 10 for all the suckers that bought Surface RT's. So there's that.

They're dropping RT support for devices with screens larger than 7". They're said to coming up with some kind of update for Surface RT devices that sounds like it will be similar to what they did for Windows Phone 7 devices that didn't get upgraded to 8.

Kind of sucks but Surface 2 will be two years old by the time Windows 10 comes out and it's still going to get some support. On the other hand all Surface Pro devices get a free Windows 10 upgrade. So there's that as well.

RT is in all Windows 8 versions. Its an API, a sandbox for their Apps and not necessarily the ARM version of Windows. RT was tied to their Apps. Window's App-scape is a wasteland. So RT is a failure. Windows RT wasn't exclusively RT, just RT heavy.

If they wanted to develop a non-RT heavy version of Windows for ARM, what better way than to have a small army of volunteer beta testers?

Awesome price for the upgraded device. There's a lot of things the Pi could do, but it was underpowered for a lot of things. This is basically a phone with GPIO .. could make a lot of device prototyping more feasible with the added horsepower.

RT is in all Windows 8 versions. Its an API, a sandbox for their Apps and not necessarily the ARM version of Windows. RT was tied to their Apps. Window's App-scape is a wasteland. So RT is a failure. Windows RT wasn't exclusively RT, just RT heavy.

If they wanted to develop a non-RT heavy version of Windows for ARM, what better way than to have a small army of volunteer beta testers?

https://pacoup.com/2012/05/11/windows-rt-is-not-the-same-as-winrt/

This is what I was thinking - Windows RT is the ARM version of Windows and WinRT is the API.

From Adafruit:
Using the Pi as a computer feels fast and 'desktop like' - not sluggish! Particularly for developers, compiling code on the Pi 2 is 4x faster and the extra RAM helps a lot too, so most programs can now be compiled directly on the Pi.

Can't wait to try these out. Got my order in with Newark.

Interested in what can be done with the new model running 10.

It's going to be to be where modern app development is headed. It would appear that if 10 is really about supporting these kinds of devices that modern apps won't be just about the Windows Store. Of course if modern apps become freely distributable then what would be the point of the Windows Store and how would Microsoft get income from the Store to offset its free upgrades and free OEM copies on small and cheap devices?

But Microsoft has to find away to spur modern app development and making them freely distributable would certainly help but at the same time not necessarily help the bottom line. Build should be very interesting. I'm expecting a lot is going to different with modern app development.

Back