Microsoft’s Super Bowl Ads Feature Rapper Common

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is taking the more cerebral approach to their Super Bowl commercials this year, using rapper Common to deliver the company’s message in the form of reciting snips of CEO Satya Nadella speeches. The inspirational theme of the Microsoft commercials could go either way with the Super Bowl crowd, and we’ll have to wait for the Monday morning quarterbacks to see if they hit home or not.

“The real question that needs to be asked, as well as answered, is what is it that we can do, that is unique, that is impactful. We are going to empower every individual and every organization to do more and achieve more.”

Looks good to me. Someone at Microsoft or someones knows how to make a commercial correctly.

I don't understand the purpose of these commercials. They are completely and utterly unrelatable to 99% of the people watching them. There isn't even an actual product being advertised.

It would be far more entertaining to have something like Steve Ballmer walking into a room, getting upset for no reason, and then throwing a chair at the camera. Screen goes black, and the Microsoft logo comes up. At least it would make people curious as to what the fuck that was about.

I don't understand the purpose of these commercials. They are completely and utterly unrelatable to 99% of the people watching them. There isn't even an actual product being advertised.

It would be far more entertaining to have something like Steve Ballmer walking into a room, getting upset for no reason, and then throwing a chair at the camera. Screen goes black, and the Microsoft logo comes up. At least it would make people curious as to what the fuck that was about.

But Microsoft... Empowering people...

I would absolutely love to watch your said Steve Balmer commercial. :D

Never even heard of the guy, not sure why an OS company needs to associate with the violence, racism and sexism in rap.

"A'ight y'all lissenup. Our exploratory research points to uncapitalized strategic alignment, so we need to get on-message about our dot-com digital time-phases. Going forward, all stakeholders will be tasked to proactively think outside the box and produce a synergistic vision for growing the impact of this day on the national consciousness. This is a ground-breaking chance for every company leader to assemble their tiger-teams, get behind this concept 120%, and to idea-shower strategies for leveraging our assets and dynamic solutions, in order to evolve a set of win-win deliverables to add value to this high-altitude occasion. Now is the time to bite the bullet with our parallel reciprocal concepts. HOLLA!"
2598739-wtjewrwr.jpg

Never even heard of the guy, not sure why an OS company needs to associate with the violence, racism and sexism in rap.

It's funny that I often hear conservatives saying that kind of stuff, when a large majority of conservatives have had serious issues with those topics over the course of history, and still do to this day.

Yeah, Common sounds like real racist and sexist "thug", right? ...

"Common used to be vegan, but is now a pescetarian. In addition, he is a supporter of animal rights and PETA. He appeared in a print advertisement for PETA titled "Think Before You Eat".[40]

Common is also part of the "Knowing Is Beautiful" movement, which supports HIV/AIDS awareness.[40] He is featured in the video for "Yes We Can", a song in support of the candidacy of Barack Obama, which made its debut on the internet on February 2, 2008. Common has pledged to stop using anti-gay lyrics in his music.[41][42]

Common is the founder of the Common Ground Foundation,[43][44] a non-profit that seeks to empower underprivileged youth to be strong citizens and citizens of the world. The foundation includes programs dedicated to leadership development & empowerment, educational development, creative expression, as well as a book club. In 2014 Common Ground inaugurated the Aahh! Fest music festival in Chicago's Union Park.[45]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_(rapper)

I watched the commercials tonight and thought they were good thoughtful commercials that showed Microsoft as a good solid company looking to the future. I was skeptical before I saw them, but I actually came away with a good impression of Microsoft.

Are we sure this isn't narrated by President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho as a commercial break for the hit show "Ow My Balls"? Because it sure as hell looks like its catering to that lowest common denominator! LMAO!

Seriously, I've seen some stupid commercials in my time, but this takes the retard cake.

Oh brother... he said he had never even HEARD of the guy, so I don't know why you're so morally outraged that he didn't realize this was an exception to the rule. And this particular old school rapper's big thing is talking about how rap has become crap ever since its association with gangsters (which persists to this day). So clearly Dekoth thought this was mainstream modern rap, of which Common 100% agrees with him that rap is almost all about violence, racism, and sexism, which is something MS shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Regardless of that, the commercial is pointless, doesn't showcase any products, and just looks like something some aging hipster liberal douche crapped out in five minutes to appeal to "todays urban youth".

It's funny that I often hear conservatives saying that kind of stuff, when a large majority of conservatives have had serious issues with those topics over the course of history, and still do to this day.

"Common used to be vegan, but is now a pescetarian. In addition, he is a supporter of animal rights and PETA. He appeared in a print advertisement for PETA titled "Think Before You Eat".[40]

Common is also part of the "Knowing Is Beautiful" movement, which supports HIV/AIDS awareness.[40] He is featured in the video for "Yes We Can", a song in support of the candidacy of Barack Obama, which made its debut on the internet on February 2, 2008. Common has pledged to stop using anti-gay lyrics in his music.[41][42]

Common is the founder of the Common Ground Foundation,[43][44] a non-profit that seeks to empower underprivileged youth to be strong citizens and citizens of the world. The foundation includes programs dedicated to leadership development & empowerment, educational development, creative expression, as well as a book club. In 2014 Common Ground inaugurated the Aahh! Fest music festival in Chicago's Union Park.[45]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_(rapper)

First I'm not conservative, so thank for trying to apply that particular label so you could try and indirectly call me racist.

So fine he is against the mainstream rap, that is at least something. But his support of a blatant terrorist organization (Peta) makes him just as intolerable in my book as 50cent. So either way MS has no business associating with him.

The one thing we can give them is that at least it wasn't as inappropriate as the "dead children" buzzkill superbowl commercial.

Its like, hey everyone is having a great time, they are in a festive mood, this is an entertainment feel good venue, lets go ahead and throw dead children in the middle, and then maybe talk about breast cancer... its like jesus christ people, there is a TIME AND A PLACE. That's like being in the middle of a dinner party and everyone is laughing and having wine and smiles all around, and then you tap on your glass and say "Hi, just wanted to let you guys know that I was sexually assaulted by my uncle when I was 7." :rolleyes:

I tell ya, whatever tards are in charge of marketing these days need to just stop.

First I'm not conservative, so thank for trying to apply that particular label so you could try and indirectly call me racist.

But you had no problem associating that to someone you didn't know or even heard of, and for Christ's sake if you are going to say something prejudiced then at least have the balls to own it.

This thing where people something ignorant and then run away from it when people call you on it is cowardly.

Not sure if serious... Most if his rap is all social commentary. "Universal Mind Control" was a little less of it and included some indulgent tracks (I haven't listened to "Finding Forever"). "Universal Mind Control" was the last album I listened to, so I'm not sure if his music has taken the direction of Lil Wayne. But I really doubt it.

Which is the point. If you don't know the person then how can you give critique?
It was obvious that he was responding to the "rapper" portion.

And rap is a degenerate music genre that promotes racism, sexism, and violence and is just a stupid culture to be associated with. The fact that this happened to be one rapper out of the thousands, who raps about how rap is all those things, trying to redefine rap to be something else was obviously an oversight.

But I'm sure there is also one nice member of death metal encouraging kids to eat multi-vitamins and be positive contributing members of society with positive messages too, but that doesn't mean its a great idea for Microsoft to associate itself with the genre since most people won't know who that one exception is.

Rap-Is-Crap.jpg

its funny because labeling this thread with the word rapper was sure to incite this type of response. The guy has an excellent voice for narration, that is why he was doing this spot. further I dont think he even really raps anymore, he acts now...also ladies love him.

The guy has an excellent voice for narration
He does? I mean he tried his best to say "asked" instead of "axed", but still sounds kind of hood to me. He's no James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman or Movie-Trailer Guy if you wanted a narrator with a lower voice.

BS. Examples of that are found through out every genre of music not just rap and I fail to see how racism plays a role in rap (or is that just because mostly black people are associated with it).

He does? I mean he tried his best to say "asked" instead of "axed", but still sounds kind of hood to me. He's no James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman or Movie-Trailer Guy if you wanted a narrator with a lower voice.

hood, lol.

These threads are hilarious.! When it comes to violence and -isms in rap music plenty love to point fingers. But the same stuff it other forms of music or art and heaven forbid, games, it's perfectly fine there.

But you had no problem associating that to someone you didn't know or even heard of, and for Christ's sake if you are going to say something prejudiced then at least have the balls to own it.

This thing where people something ignorant and then run away from it when people call you on it is cowardly.

There is a monumental difference in trying to associate me with a political party based on one comment and associating yet another "rapper" with a genre that as a rule does promote the things I mentioned. See below. You can deny it all you want but that is just a flat out fact.

And rap is a degenerate music genre that promotes racism, sexism, and violence and is just a stupid culture to be associated with. The fact that this happened to be one rapper out of the thousands, who raps about how rap is all those things, trying to redefine rap to be something else was obviously an oversight.

But I'm sure there is also one nice member of death metal encouraging kids to eat multi-vitamins and be positive contributing members of society with positive messages too, but that doesn't mean its a great idea for Microsoft to associate itself with the genre since most people won't know who that one exception is.

Rap-Is-Crap.jpg

BS. Examples of that are found through out every genre of music not just rap and I fail to see how racism plays a role in rap (or is that just because mostly black people are associated with it).

Examples are found through every genre yes, however Rap you have to find examples of it that don't rather than examples that do. The gross majority of it adheres to exactly what I said which is why I said what I said. It has nothing to do with skin color, Eminem is just as bad about it as anyone and I'm pretty sure he is white. The fact is that genre celebrates extremely negative things. Does that mean all rappers or even all rap songs are terrible? No it doesn't, but when the majority of a genre has an extremely negative image then I say a company like MS has no business associating with it.

I'll go one step further here. I like quite a bit of hard rock. Not all but quite a bit. However I'm well aware of the image typically associated with it and I would say the exact same thing if MS put out an ad featuring "Bullet for my Valentine" for example. Just because I happen to like some of their music, doesn't mean I can't objectively say that there are some very negative messages in that genre.

The fact is that genre celebrates extremely negative things. Does that mean all rappers or even all rap songs are terrible? No it doesn't, but when the majority of a genre has an extremely negative image then I say a company like MS has no business associating with it.

I don't think rap "celebrates" these negatives anymore than games do. And Microsoft certainly associates itself with a lot of violence and -isms in games.

Back