Windows 10 Updates

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We have been telling you that Microsoft will be releasing more and more information on the new operating system in small increments over the months prior to its official release in 3Q15. The official preview release now stands at Build 9926 and has been updated to fix a few problems reported by beta testers. .

Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3 owners complained about problems with stability when watching videos, and this has been addressed with a driver update.

The video drivers bus the SP3 were completely broken when 9926 launched Friday before last but it does look like the major issues were resolved late last week. I can now playback video fine in all the apps I've tried where before they were all crashing.

Thin is the point that I would consider Windows 10 usable on the Surface Pro line or other tablets as just barely enough of tablet features and Continuum are there now to allow for tablet use though 10 and this point is well behind 8.1 Update with its tablet UI. However there are some advantages. The windowing of modern apps is nice and having them all being able to run in the background without suspending is nice. But the battery life is taking a big hit. I assume in tablet mode apps will suspend in the background in the RTM release.

Back