A New Multi-Billion Dollar Market for Microsoft Windows

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
On the heels of the demise of Windows XP, the next big change over at Microsoft will be the end of life cycle for Windows Server 2003 on July 14th. The operating system is over 12 years old with many of the servers and systems were installed together, making it a suitable time to replace both, saving time and money for the businesses upgrading to Windows Server 10. This will also generate an estimated One Billion in revenue for Microsoft and its partners. :cool:

The server makers believe that this won't just cause companies to buy new computer servers, and upgrade their Windows to the current version, but that they'll need help installing those servers. They also may need help in upgrading the ancient business software that has forced them to keep that ancient version of Windows for so long.

rofl I know of several companies running server 2000 still and one still running nt4.
They are not all small companies either.

ya I was about to say I know a large company that still has tons of NT4 servers in service

My organization is still running server 2003 all over the place, and this is a place that does $500 million/year in profits. It drives me nuts that they won't upgrade, especially since you can't run .net 4.5+ on 03'. That means I'm stuck using older .net versions in development, all because they won't get off their asses and upgrade. Let me tell you how pissed off I was at 1am, trying to deploy a new website, and realizing I had compiled and written code using .net 4.5 features.

I'm still running a Home Server, mainly for file sharing, with disc spanning and redundancy. I guess it's time to copy that data to external drives and look for a replacement OS.

I'm still running 2003 on several servers at the office due to software that won't run on server 2008 or later. Until these critical business apps are replaced I have no choice.

My organization is responsible for getting rid of all the 2003 boxes before July. Gonna be fun times. A lot of the customers don't want to make the jump but they have to otherwise the corporate bureaucrats are saying shut them down. So we're doing it slowly with one of our contractors.

Its not just end of support that will force people to upgrade, it renewing your PCI under its updated standard v3.0. Older server OS are not in compliance anymore. With the amount of data breaches going on lately you need to be up with the latest PCI so you CYA.

It'll be tough to upgrade to Windows Server 10 in July since it has been delayed until 2016.

And they probably won't be too keen on Server 2012 with it's Metro UI with charm bar and hot corners.

I was testing something on Server 2012 at work and was flabbergasted that Microsoft put it's tablet UI on its server product. That is just Epic stupid.

I'm still running a couple of NT4 servers at $dayjob (one handles our website, the other handles SMTP mail and Pervasive SQL accounting database AccPac). Accpac cost quite a bit back in 1999 / 2000, and we're still running it BECAUSE IT WORKS. And still running the win-98 machines that access the Accpac database. We have Jana (or Janna?) Contact 1999 for our CRM / sales staff (it's really a great program). Our database has over 4000 customers/prospects, contains emails and contact notes going back to 1998, and is over 500 mb in size, and can be accessed from PC's running anything from win-98 to Win-7.

Our developers have Source Safe running on a win-2k server. We have loads of Macro$haft software (binders full of MSDN CD's going back to 1998) and Technet stuff, but we still run a mix of win-98, XP and 7. Not planning to ever touch 8 or beyond. Can still buy plenty of hardware (new or used, motherboards, cpu's, video, etc) if we need to build "new" systems. I have a box of 5 XP System Builder CD's still shrinkwrapped, and have about 30 XP-pro system builder product keys that have never been activated.

One of my NT 4 servers is giving me problems though. Every few days for the past month it's been spontaneously rebooting - event log says "recovered from a bug check". No idea what that is. I replaced the motherboard (had a spare gigabyte GA-6BXS Intel 440 BX chipset) but it's still doing it.

> On the heels of the demise of Windows XP,

Oh yea. Every XP system I oversee (both at work and for friend/family) has the 4 registry keys that allow those system to automatically download the POSReady 2009 updates. So the issue of XP being unsupported is a COMPLETE MYTH that the tech press refuses to acknowledge.

I'm fortunate that my current employer only uses 2008R2 and 2012. My last job we had tons of 2003 servers we had to maintain. Sucks for them.

And they probably won't be too keen on Server 2012 with it's Metro UI with charm bar and hot corners.

I was testing something on Server 2012 at work and was flabbergasted that Microsoft put it's tablet UI on its server product. That is just Epic stupid.
That's why on the 2012 boxes the company I work for have installed we've installed ClassicShell. Eliminates the whole problem.

But yes: the idiotic metro bullshit on a server is beyond epic fail stupid.

That's why on the 2012 boxes the company I work for have installed we've installed ClassicShell. Eliminates the whole problem.

If you stop to think about it for a second, being able to interact with a server using touch makes a lot of sense.

Great! Now you summoned heatlesssun.

See?

If you stop to think about it for a second, being able to interact with a server using touch makes a lot of sense.

Thanks a lot Knight_of_BAAWA! :mad:

Just saying that being able to access a server via a phone or tablet isn't exactly the craziest thing in world.

Jesus on a motorbike, just give it a rest already. Metro has no business on a server.

Just saying that being able to access a server via a phone or tablet isn't exactly the craziest thing in world.

Why part of YOU DON'T NEED METRO ON THE SERVER to access it with a phone or tablet do you not understand

Why part of YOU DON'T NEED METRO ON THE SERVER to access it with a phone or tablet do you not understand

First of all I never mentioned Metro and secondly no one had even bought of the subject of being to access a server through a phone or tablet until I did. All I said was that being able to access a server through a touch UI makes sense and has a point.

Relax man.

I think there is 1 Windows server to about 500 linux ones in the organization i work in- good thing I only have to manage the linux ones, I really cant deal with Windows on servers.

lol

I manage a 2012R2 box with Exchange 2013... I have to use the metro screen to open the exchange console, which is a command line interface! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

my reaction the first time I fired up a 2012 server was EXACTLY this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AYIcTVizM4

I maintain server 2012 R2, don't see the big deal. The server capabilities is greatly increased over 2008.

Except good fucking luck hitting the hot corners on an rdp window on your phone. Yeah took me literally about 5 minutes to get the damn start screen open with the official Microsoft Android Remote Desktop app, ended up using Jump, much easier. At least on the desktop you get a mouse to try and hit the 2x2 pixel hot spot.

MUCH better on 2012r2 which is actually worth a damn. Metro still sucks, but at least it's usable.

I maintain server 2012 R2, don't see the big deal. The server capabilities is greatly increased over 2008.

server 2012 is awesome, especially the new hyper-v stuff, but metro is ridiculous on a server

server 2012 is awesome, especially the new hyper-v stuff, but metro is ridiculous on a server

Shrug, sure it's a bit weird to see there but it's not even close to the top of my "fix now" list.

Except good fucking luck hitting the hot corners on an rdp window on your phone.

It's still a PITA using RDP on my desktop to server 2012. Hot corners just suck through RDP to a desktop multi-monitor setup as you just slide through the hot corner. Well they suck more than usual because of that.

It's beyond imbecilic, that they have hot corners and charm bars on a server OS,

Windows 8 was bad enough, but this is epic lameness, revealing Microsoft to be staffed by a bunch of sycophantic tools. Someone with some backbone should have kept this nonsense off the server product.

I'd say fire Steve Ballmer if he wasn't already gone.

I use run to get to 90% of everything in windows server so the UI changes in Server 2012/R2 greatly out-weighed the negatives.

Microsoft themselves are pushing for "headless" or powershell management for their latest server OS's anyways.

I use run to get to 90% of everything in windows server so the UI changes in Server 2012/R2 greatly out-weighed the negatives.

Microsoft themselves are pushing for "headless" or powershell management for their latest server OS's anyways.

"the other changes greatly out-weighted the negatives."

I hate the lack of edits sometimes in the news section.

OMG there is a start screen on a server instead of a menu with nested shortcuts!! The sky is falling. Jesus effing christ, this isn't some locked down OS, you have the ability to change it. Oh noz, that means downloading and installing an additional piece of software? That's unheard of, and should never be done! MS is supposed to read you mind and have only the software I want installed out of the box.

Seriously, all this bitching about such a minor thing, WHICH YOU CAN CHANGE is getting just a tad old. MS has already shown the directions they are heading with win10, and whining in every god damn post about windows on this forum is not going to change it.

If you don't like it, trust me you have all said it enough, we don't need to hear it again. Stick with the old OSs you love, or move to linux like you threaten. Just do it quietly FFS.

Exactly, for all the crying about the GUI, it's MS suggestion to run all servers without it, except for the one used to manage the other. But then what would they cry about? Screw best practices...

Except good fucking luck hitting the hot corners on an rdp window on your phone.

The hot corners don't apply to touch use, that's the purpose of the side swipes. Microsoft's Windows Phone RDP client however has a mouse mode, so it's really hard to use hot corners.

I'm not saying the modern UI is all that for server use, even remotely. However UIs that are touch enabled that allow for server interaction on small screens does make sense.

How does Metro compare to 2012?

No idea since that makes no sense. Server 2012 has the start screen instead of start menu, but doesn't have the built in crap that comes in 8. No non-desktop apps/store/news/travel/livetiles are included. It's a minimal change on the server OS, which is why all this bitching is laughable. People complaining for the sake of complaining because hating teh metroz is kool.

It's still a PITA using RDP on my desktop to server 2012. Hot corners just suck through RDP to a desktop multi-monitor setup as you just slide through the hot corner. Well they suck more than usual because of that.

It's beyond imbecilic, that they have hot corners and charm bars on a server OS,

Windows 8 was bad enough, but this is epic lameness, revealing Microsoft to be staffed by a bunch of sycophantic tools. Someone with some backbone should have kept this nonsense off the server product.

I'd say fire Steve Ballmer if he wasn't already gone.

Yep, worth every penny and hour spent upgrading to R2 just for the single reason of having a button to click.

Yep, worth every penny and hour spent upgrading to R2 just for the single reason of having a button to click.

The 2012 install is just a test setup, production will be a R2, so it is good to know it will be a bit better.

Back