Physicists Have Built a Time Machine Simulator

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
No, it’s not Doc Brown and his DeLorean, but a team of physicists at the University of Queensland, Australia that have built not a time machine, but instead built a time machine simulator that will mimic a quantum particle passing through a closed time-like curve (CTC) creating identical particles that are able to interact with each other. November 5, 1955 here we come. :D

Time travel isn't possible yet, but this simulation means it could be. The experiment also fit both the laws of general relativity and quantum mechanics, demonstrating that the two bodies of law could actually be compatible.

Time travel isn't possible because time doesn't exist.

The concept is wildly overrated, anyway. The problem is that your physical body would remain unchanged. Ideally, you'd be able to go back in time and revert to your younger self but retain all of the memories and knowledge you've attained before going back.

Personally, I would make sure shit like Facebook and the iPhone never existed. I would also start a movie streaming service and some dumbass video game where you build stuff with blocks.

I can also create a simulator in which I would have sex with Scarlett Johansson.
This would demonstrate that such physical entanglement would be possible given the right conditions.

Still have until the end of December for my hoverboard!

Oh and Mr. Fusion? OPEC collapses as US no longer need oil for fuel.

I can look millions of years into the past every night just by walking outside.

The concept is wildly overrated, anyway. The problem is that your physical body would remain unchanged. Ideally, you'd be able to go back in time and revert to your younger self but retain all of the memories and knowledge you've attained before going back.

Personally, I would make sure shit like Facebook and the iPhone never existed. I would also start a movie streaming service and some dumbass video game where you build stuff with blocks.

You can call it a dumbass game, but Mojang has taken something very simple and turned it into a thing that people from different ages, areas, and genre preferences can jump into and enjoy. While giving people a way to be creative in a large number of ways. So much so that people like me are willing to buy the same game on a number of platforms

Time is an expression of the rate of change of matter and its position.
It is said before the Universe existed (if it did just appear), there was no time.
I posit there is just no need for it where there is no matter, it has no purpose.
Perhaps time stops with no matter. I dont think so, but worth a thought.
If there is no time without the universe, then we cannot travel beyond the confines of our universe, unless time is also created wherever we go. A bit too convenient.
Its my belief that its not an entity in its own right, its a relative expression of how fast things change only.

Time always existed regardless of how the Universe came about.
Time can appear to stop (or near as dammit) relative to other matter, and move forward at different rates due to known effects.
You can change how quickly time passes for yourself relative to other matter.
But I cannot see how time can be reversed because the rate of change of matter is only progressive.
imo :)

How a game like Minecraft became so popular. It's like a really shitty looking Autodesk 3DS or Maya.

Time is an expression of the rate of change of matter and its position.
It is said before the Universe existed (if it did just appear), there was no time.
I posit there is just no need for it where there is no matter, it has no purpose.
Perhaps time stops with no matter. I dont think so, but worth a thought.
If there is no time without the universe, then we cannot travel beyond the confines of our universe, unless time is also created wherever we go. A bit too convenient.
Its my belief that its not an entity in its own right, its a relative expression of how fast things change only.

Time always existed regardless of how the Universe came about.
Time can appear to stop (or near as dammit) relative to other matter, and move forward at different rates due to known effects.
You can change how quickly time passes for yourself relative to other matter.
But I cannot see how time can be reversed because the rate of change of matter is only progressive.
imo :)

I would think time moves and exists, regardless of matter. Only difference being is that without matter, it's hard or even impossible to tell.that time is moving. As with matter, time should/ proably does have a relative and absolute... like mass and weight. Local time and universal time. Where local could be earth's timezone or the time earth takes to go one revolution being set as a standard as opposed to just a universal time that is being added up every moment.

I agree.
Time must pass at a certain rate where there is zero or practically zero matter (and hence no movement).
The rate is neither zero nor infinite.
It may be possible to find the rate or get very close to it through extrapolation.

Its a little hard to imagine no matter as it pops in and out of existence (the effect averaging to zero still) and we dont know how this manifests.
Perhaps assume almost no matter.

How a game like Minecraft became so popular. It's like a really shitty looking Autodesk 3DS or Maya.

Its looks isn't want matters though. The reason it became popular is because of what is allows you to do. Take something like Call of Duty or some other FPS game. These games are very limited in scope. If you have played one match of team deathmatch or capture the flag or something you have played them all. There is nothing special to the games. You take a gun, you shoot somebody while avoiding to get shot. If you play something like WoW or another MMORGP you go out and kill creatures, you get items, you repeat this forever.

Minecraft is different in that the game is a complete sandbox that allows you to do vastly different things. You could build a circuit to test out something without having to actually build a real circuit. When I was in college I had to buy a breadboard, and then to do any assignments had to go checkout logic chips, then build my circuit, test it, show the professor it worked, then had to go sign the stuff back in. With Minecraft I could do all the same stuff but all in a digital world, that means no cost for hardware, nothing to get lost... This expands to people who don't even realize they are building electrical circuits. My 8 and 9 year old nephews for example will decide they want to make some certain thing happen and will then do all the wiring to make that thing happen. For example, having a minecart go in a circle on a track, at 5 locations around the track it would pass over a piece of track that would detect something on it and activate a dispenser to shot out a firework, so using that they were able to create a firework show.

On top of that you have the building aspects of Lego. Only difference is that you can build much larger and abstract than most people can with Lego as most people don't have an unlimited supply of them. With Minecraft you can be like the people that create entire cities with Lego but you don't need to worry about having piles of the blocks in your house or where you can put them. Instead you do it all from inside a game, but still with the same level of creativity.

You also have the aspect of a normal game with health, hunger, xp, the ability the craft better weapons and armor, things to kill, multiple bosses.

By mixing all of this together you can even create various goals or games inside of the game. Last week me and some people had a 3 team team deathmatch game using bows. Week before that we had a challenge course where in one room you had to build a copy of something exactly as you saw the original, next room you had to fish till you caught a certain type of fish, next had to shoot at chickens falling from the ceiling to knock them into different pens, next required you to dig in sand to find chest with a certain item, next required swimming under water and finding an item before you drown, then had to navigate a small obstacle course over lava to get to the end. Next week will probably be a tower challenge to fight through a 15 story tower each floor full of things for you to kill to advance.

All of that adds to why the game is enjoyable by so many as it isn't a <insert game type> game, instead it is a sandbox where you can make it be a lot of different things and play it in a vastly different way that somebody else. The fact that you aren't locked into a single way to play makes it accessible to many different groups.

Actually we are all time travelers, all moving forward at the same rate.

It's possible to change the speed of your travel, but not the direction, so no going back in time.

Actually we are all time travelers, all moving forward at the same rate.

It's possible to change the speed of your travel, but not the direction, so no going back in time.

If only we could peak inside of a singularity. Then we could we could get in on the action of what really can or can not happen outside of the bounding rules of physics.

But its looking more and more likely time travel to the past is impossible unless you harness enough energy that would take billions of stars to accumulate and even more billions of years.

I'm reminded of a NOVA documentary I saw on time. There was an example presented where they talk about what constitute is "now" is different for each individual depending on the state of motion (Einstein relativity stuff.)

In this example, they show an alien several billion light years away, and if the alien is cycling away from Earth, what constitute as happening right now, or the "now slice" for the alien would be something that happened in the past for us on Earth. What's going on on Earth now for the alien would be something in the past.

Even stranger is if the alien was cycling towards Earth, the alien's "now slice" would tilt the other way and what is happening now for the alien would be events in the future for us on Earth. It seems to imply that past, present, and future are all laid out there and exist simultaneously.

I'm no expert in physics, so I'm not sure if this was something directly came out of Einstein's relativity work, or it was from some wacky interpretation of Einstein's work, but I thought it was kind of creepy, this idea that all past and future already exist and we're just acting them out.

I'm reminded of a NOVA documentary I saw on time. There was an example presented where they talk about what constitute is "now" is different for each individual depending on the state of motion (Einstein relativity stuff.)

In this example, they show an alien several billion light years away, and if the alien is cycling away from Earth, what constitute as happening right now, or the "now slice" for the alien would be something that happened in the past for us on Earth. What's going on on Earth now for the alien would be something in the past.

Even stranger is if the alien was cycling towards Earth, the alien's "now slice" would tilt the other way and what is happening now for the alien would be events in the future for us on Earth. It seems to imply that past, present, and future are all laid out there and exist simultaneously.

I'm no expert in physics, so I'm not sure if this was something directly came out of Einstein's relativity work, or it was from some wacky interpretation of Einstein's work, but I thought it was kind of creepy, this idea that all past and future already exist and we're just acting them out.

It is relativity at work. As a student of physics I'm always fond thought experiments involving its effects in the macro world.

Honestly people think of Einstein as "smart" or as some poster with his tongue sticking out but if you spend the time really learning about him , his process and what he accomplished you will be extremely hard pressed not to find a human being who has had a greater impact. His insights into nature are simply staggering and all of which happened prior to the digital age which makes it even greater. When I see his theories put to the test daily I'm always pleased to find that even at the farthest place we can imagine away from us that his theories time and time again are given more evidence of his brilliance.

Well, if the concept of branching realities were true paradoxes would be impossible so I guess there is some possibility that time travel could be possible. Otherwise I can't see it, the idea that something can alter the things that brought that thing into being to make sure that it never does has always bothered me.

It is relativity at work. As a student of physics I'm always fond thought experiments involving its effects in the macro world.

I've studied just enough of relativistic mechanics and astrophysics to realize that my brain is just not wired to really grasp that stuff. In that scope, the way things work goes so completely out of whack from the classical mechanics that we're accustomed to that it makes my head hurt trying to comprehend it.

So for those of you trying to posit the nature of time and possibility of time travel, unless you've done significant investigation into the field, you might want to stop before you hurt yourselves. ;)

I've studied just enough of relativistic mechanics and astrophysics to realize that my brain is just not wired to really grasp that stuff. In that scope, the way things work goes so completely out of whack from the classical mechanics that we're accustomed to that it makes my head hurt trying to comprehend it.

So for those of you trying to posit the nature of time and possibility of time travel, unless you've done significant investigation into the field, you might want to stop before you hurt yourselves. ;)

It does hurt, but it's a good pain. :D

I'd like a time machine simulator like the one portrayed in the Star Trek Voyager episodes "Year of Hell"

I thought that Physicists already built a "white hole" in a laboratory a couple of years ago. They sent in a particle and it ended up at the point in time, where it first entered the circuit?

Its looks isn't want matters though. The reason it became popular is because of what is allows you to do. Take something like Call of Duty or some other FPS game. These games are very limited in scope. If you have played one match of team deathmatch or capture the flag or something you have played them all. There is nothing special to the games. You take a gun, you shoot somebody while avoiding to get shot. If you play something like WoW or another MMORGP you go out and kill creatures, you get items, you repeat this forever.

All of that adds to why the game is enjoyable by so many as it isn't a <insert game type> game, instead it is a sandbox where you can make it be a lot of different things and play it in a vastly different way that somebody else. The fact that you aren't locked into a single way to play makes it accessible to many different groups.
The problem with your analysis is that each of those popular games has hundreds of millions of players compared to minecraft's "mere" 100 million.

The reason minecraft is so popular is because people can play it at work and on any device that wouldn't rival a 1980's calculator--same reasons candy crush, farmville, and etc. are so popular. It's certainly not because it's special.

As for time travel, it's not possible because I told myself decades ago that when it became possible I'd come and tell myself and since that hasn't happened yet it doesn't happen until at least after 2050 and/or my descendants are ignoring my will :(

all I'll say is if I knew then, what I know now...

damn dude, damn

Back