Games look jittery even though getting 60fps

EquaLiZr

Supreme [H]ardness
I will use L4D2 as an example. I get a solid 60 or 120fps but the game gets jittery throughout the game. I've looked at my logs and it says it goes between 59.8 and 61.3fps and 119.5 and 120.4fps. I have no idea what is going on. Using drivers 344.75

vsync/adaptive vsync problems.. sometimes when you are using vsync (just in certain games) when for a moment the frame go above 60 or 120 or 144fps the frame time will become erratic and cause horrible jittery gameplay for couple of seconds while stabilize but if the frame instability its constant the game with vsync can perform horrible and its not so uncommon with SLI, to fix it Use afterburner and select the framelimit to the monitor refresh rate and done.. the framelimit in afterburner (or the old evga precision which use rivaturner) work as a FPS target but also as a Frametime stabilizer, It work great with such kind of games that present problem with vsync.. Diablo 3 I think its the best example of that kind of games that perform horrible with vsync enabled..

A failing mechanical hard drive can also cause this problem.

Sli disabled? I know that l4d puts such a small load on my cards that they'll go into 2d clocks and stutter

vsync/adaptive vsync problems.. sometimes when you are using vsync (just in certain games) when for a moment the frame go above 60 or 120 or 144fps the frame time will become erratic and cause horrible jittery gameplay for couple of seconds while stabilize but if the frame instability its constant the game with vsync can perform horrible and its not so uncommon with SLI, to fix it Use afterburner and select the framelimit to the monitor refresh rate and done.. the framelimit in afterburner (or the old evga precision which use rivaturner) work as a FPS target but also as a Frametime stabilizer, It work great with such kind of games that present problem with vsync.. Diablo 3 I think its the best example of that kind of games that perform horrible with vsync enabled..

D3 is the number one game that makes me want to try adaptive sync.

Frame limit is a great idea. Made crossfire before fixes smooth from what was unbearable to me

There are a couple of things that you can try for this:

L4D specific: try Multicore Rendering off

General tips:

Turn off V-sync (use a frame limiter instead)
Turn off SLI

D3 is the number one game that makes me want to try adaptive sync.

Frame limit is a great idea. Made crossfire before fixes smooth from what was unbearable to me

D3 perform even worse with adaptive vsync... 2 solutions for that game are the mentioned frame limiter in rivatuner + vsync, or play in windowed fullscreen + lock cursor option (that's how I actually play it, so far the best option for me)

once upon a time multicore rendering was an issue with l4d2... disable that and see what happens.

D3 perform even worse with adaptive vsync... 2 solutions for that game are the mentioned frame limiter in rivatuner + vsync, or play in windowed fullscreen + lock cursor option (that's how I actually play it, so far the best option for me)

By adaptive sync I mean gsync and hopefully freesync. Those should work very well for d3.

Back