Enterprise SSD for ZFS ZIL/L2ARC

TType85

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to implement a ZIL and L2ARC on a ZFS storage server. It is going to be a back end for a couple ESXi server (using NFS most likely) and a pool that will be storage of files (PDF's mostly)

What side SSDs should I get? Would the S3500 do or should I go with the S3700?

The S3700 100GB drives are only about $170 each and are good for 1.8PB TBW, if those would work, it would fit in to the budget.

The 160GB S3500's are around $30 cheaper but the TBW is only 100TB

Looks like you can get refurb Samsung 843T's for $60 too. Look to be 3800 random TBW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...samsung_enterprise_ssd-_-20-147-390-_-Product

Last edited:
The S3700 is a very good budget SLOG drive. If you overprovision it to around 10-20 GB, it should last a very long time (by HPA or partition). More space is not needed for the ZIL. I would not get a S3500 for the SLOG because of the higher 4K write latencies. That is the most important metric for SLOG drives.

As L2ARC you can use almost anything. The L2ARC workload is very easy (i.e. low WAF) on SSDs, they write larger chunks of data linearly to the drive. I have an Samsung 830 as system drive and a 830 as L2ARC for my main pool. Both drives write approximately the same amount of data per day, but the system disk's wear indicator rises more than twice as fast as the L2ARC drive's. If you use a consumer SSD, overprovision it a bit, like 256->240 GB. The S3500 is not a bad choice for L2ARC, but you could go cheaper or higher performance for the same price. The size of the L2ARC should be determined by the size of your workloads hot data. You can tune the maximum write rate of the L2ARC to match the write endurance of the SSD.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back