Opinions on PSU mod, please

jsmith24

n00b
Hey all,

My Corsair power supply is non-modular, has 2 PCIe power cables, 2 SATA, and 2 Molex/floppy cables; I will not be using the Molex, and currently have need for only one of the PCIe cables and one SATA cable. In the interest of saving space (for cable management in the space behind the motherboard tray), I am considering cutting the Molex cables and one of the SATA cables a few inches away from the power supply, then attaching male and female connectors that match to each end of the severed cables. That way I'll have something akin to extensions without going into the PSU and without spending more money on a fully modular PSU.

I'd like opinions on whether or not to do this. I'm fully qualified for electrical work, I know it will void what's left of my warranty, and I know I can just buy another PSU. I don't want to waste money on a new PSU when this one works fine and is only some 9 months old or so, so please don't even suggest it.

I just want to know any logical reasons why I should NOT do this.

Thanks!
Jack

I guess it would depend on what coneectors you plan to use. They are going to need to handle some serious amperage @ 5v / 12V depending.

1) What case do you have in the first place?
2) What Corsair PSU do you have?
3) Are you really big on aesthetics?

There are some possible reasons to do this PSU mod. But there are some possible reasons not to do this PSU mod. Those three questions really determine whether or not you should be thinking of doing this PSU mod.

Oh wait question 4: What's the specs of your current PC?

Thanks for the replies!

I plan to use the same connectors that each leg already uses. For example, for the two 4 pin Molex legs, I'd use a 4 pin Molex female about three inches from the power supply, then a 4 pin male Molex on the severed "extension", so that I could reconnect later if I wanted; the same with the SATA cables, but using standard male/female SATA power connectors.

My case will be an older Thermaltake Armor (VA8000BWS). it has some room behind the motherboard tray, but to keep everything tidy I need to shed some unused cables.

I have a Corsair 650TX power supply.

Yes, aesthetics are important to me.

I'm not talking rocket surgery here, just separating the original cables and terminating the cut ends with standard PSU male and female connectors, just in case I need to reattach them.

Thanks,
Jack

Assuming that you bought the PSU brand new, IMO, it's a bit drastic to modify a good PSU with 4 years and 3 months left on the warranty. Now if you had one of the crappier Corsairs or if Corsair didn't have good customer support or if it was one of the shorter warrantied Corsair, then your mod would be a better idea.

Have you thought about zip-tying the PSU cables along the motherboard tray and out behind the storage bays? This picture shows that there's plenty of space behind the storage bays:
http://www.modding.ru/modder/uploads/images/00/02/41/2011/11/13/965fe1.jpg

Alternatively, have you thought about fashioning a cover to place along the whole top of that case? I.e something like the NZXT 440 and its covered PSU bay:
http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DSC_1778.jpg

To me, either of those options would use up less time, won't void the warranty on the Corsair and yet still look good.

Assuming that you bought the PSU brand new, IMO, it's a bit drastic to modify a good PSU with 4 years and 3 months left on the warranty. Now if you had one of the crappier Corsairs or if Corsair didn't have good customer support or if it was one of the shorter warrantied Corsair, then your mod would be a better idea.

Have you thought about zip-tying the PSU cables along the motherboard tray and out behind the storage bays? This picture shows that there's plenty of space behind the storage bays:
http://www.modding.ru/modder/uploads/images/00/02/41/2011/11/13/965fe1.jpg

Alternatively, have you thought about fashioning a cover to place along the whole top of that case? I.e something like the NZXT 440 and its covered PSU bay:
http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DSC_1778.jpg
me, either of those options would use up less time, won't void the warranty on the Corsair and yet still look good.

Hey Dangman,

Yep, bought it new. Those are both ideas that I had, but getting that entire bundle of wires zip-tied behind the tray isn't as easy as you - or I - thought. There's barely .5 inch clearance, so the cables will fit, but trying to get ALL the cables back there, with zip ties and mounting plates, or even "push mount" zip ties, is difficult to say the least. I did think of running the whole bundle straight across to the front, then down the side of the drive bays, but (A) it would look like crap, and (B) there's a 140mm top exhaust fan right there; running cables in the way of its intake is kind of what I was trying to avoid.

With the PSU at the top of the Armor, I thought of making an enclosure, as I'm quite skilled at fabrication and have lots of sheet metal and ABS around, but again, I run into the problem of blocking airflow.

I like the way you think, because those were some of my first thoughts, too!

On a related note, if anyone needs any 1"x1" zip tie mounting pads, I've got 100 of 'em I can't really use.

Thanks!
Jack

Well maybe not an enclosure per se but just a simple cover that's attached/connected/placed on top of that long support bar running across the top of the case. That wouldn't block any sort of airflow.

I always cut and solder my PSU cables.

Never had any issues.

Don't expect a proper warranty though.

Well maybe not an enclosure per se but just a simple cover that's attached/connected/placed on top of that long support bar running across the top of the case. That wouldn't block any sort of airflow.

Hmm, now that's intriguing. That would sort of monkey-up the top third of the side panel window...but if I decide against modularizing my Corsair, it does give me an option. I'd still much prefer the "open panel" look with all the workings hidden behind the motherboard tray, but I like having that option!

Jack

From a manufacturer's standpoint, That is too risky, thus I would not be in favor on cutting those wires knowing that your PSU in perfect working condition and has years of warranty left. Like what has been mentioned above, If the PSU wasn't brand new or if we didn't have a good support to back it up, then modding the PSU would probably a reasonable option. Otherwise, I'd keep the PSU the way it is and maybe try to fabricate a cover instead.

Now I do fully understand where you are coming from in terms not wasting money on a new PSU because you still have one that is fully functional, that's totally logical. Plus, it looks like you are pretty handy and comfortable with electrical stuff. So if you are take the modding route, I hope everything works out at the end :)

Back