Cheapest place to get a Windows 7 Enterprise (I can validate through my school)

bob1313134

n00b
Just need the disc. My university (where I work and go to school) provides it free to me. However, they dont loan out discs. I'm install it on my home desktop (which is my work computer), so I cannot bring it to campus to have them install it. Just need a disc to get it going and then I can validate it online (via their wormhole, etc.)

Thanks for the help.

FYI, it's pretty unlikely your work/school is providing you with Win7 Enterprise, I suspect if anything they would be setting you up with Win7 Professional. I highly suggest you confirm that before wasting your time attempting to do something like validate an Enterprise copy against the school's KMS.

Assuming you have the low-down on what edition you're working with, download the appropriate ISO from the list given here.

Then use this to make a bootable flash drive (you'll need at least a 4GB flash drive).

If you don't have a flash drive, you can score an 8GB one for $7

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
FYI, it's pretty unlikely your work/school is providing you with Win7 Enterprise, I suspect if anything they would be setting you up with Win7 Professional. I highly suggest you confirm that before wasting your time attempting to do something like validate an Enterprise copy against the school's KMS.

Assuming you have the low-down on what edition you're working with, download the appropriate ISO from the list given here.

Then use this to make a bootable flash drive (you'll need at least a 4GB flash drive).

If you don't have a flash drive, you can score an 8GB one for $7

Yes. It's Enterprise. Otherwise, I wouldn't post this...

Enterprise is not provided in the links your gave me.

Do you have any other ideas? Help please.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I actually currently have Enterprise running and I'm trying to do a fresh reinstall. Does that help me at all with getting a iso?

I believe your schools is in err regarding Microsoft licensing.

You cannot "lend out" Enterprise licensing for people to use on their home computer. If it was an organizational owned computer with business/professional level Windows it can be licensed with Windows 7 Enterprise as long as they have an active Software Assurance agreement with Microsoft.

Last edited:
Looks like Windows 7 Enterprise is still available as a trial.

The file name is: 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_enterprise_en-us_EVAL_Eval_Enterprise-GRMCENXEVAL_EN_DVD

I just went through the process of getting the trial and it appears that it is still offered..

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-7-enterprise

Thanks for the link. I've heard that these trial versions have a hard deadline of like 30 days or something --- and that cut off won't go away with a authentic validation. Anyone know if I'm correct? If this isn't true, then I'll go with this.

I believe your schools is in err regarding Microsoft licensing.

You cannot "lend out" Enterprise licensing for people to use on their home computer. If it was an organizational owned computer with business/professional level Windows it can be licensed with Windows 7 Enterprise as long as they have an active Software Assurance agreement with Microsoft.

I'm sure this is correct.

But, still my question stands :)

Just doing a quick Google search for "university windows 7 enterprise" actually shows several universities that offer it to students, faculty or both. And most offer instructions on how to attain the ISO. With that information my assumption here is that something fishy is going on.

If you have no malicious intent, then I apologize, and you should follow what Snufykat said. The university I attended had no problem with furnishing ISOs upon request. Bottom line is an Enterprise license is NOT for personal use, anyway. My place of work offers a discount for Windows 7 for current employees, but they will not hand out an Enterprise license even if the computer you intend to install it on is for work purposes.

Just doing a quick Google search for "university windows 7 enterprise" actually shows several universities that offer it to students, faculty or both. And most offer instructions on how to attain the ISO. With that information my assumption here is that something fishy is going on.

If you have no malicious intent, then I apologize, and you should follow what Snufykat said. The university I attended had no problem with furnishing ISOs upon request. Bottom line is an Enterprise license is NOT for personal use, anyway. My place of work offers a discount for Windows 7 for current employees, but they will not hand out an Enterprise license even if the computer you intend to install it on is for work purposes.

I work often from home. This is going to be installed in a computer I use for work. I also use it for personal use.

Can you link me to where I can find an ISO? I'll google it now and try to find waht you were referring to. Thx.

There is a program that allows you to purchase Windows Enterprise licenses to install on personal devices (say on a Students personal laptop) but the university has to pay a per device charge. It's a program that is part of EES licensing called the Student Option. If someone is trying to use business Enterprise licensing for personal use, well, that's not a discussion for this board.

If the university here in question is a part of that program they wouldn't be blocking access to the installation media since everything is legal.

Something fishy is going on here.

Last edited:

I skimmed the results pages from that search for requirements and licensing and if you actually dig into the eligibility for Windows 7 Enterprise within those universities, you'll find that faculty and staff are generally only eligible to put it on university owned or controlled equipment, and that, with few exceptions, undergrads and most grad students are directed to the respective campus' stores to purchase other versions of Windows.

Examples below:
UNDERGRADUATES: Undergraduate students are NOT covered under the Microsoft Campus License Agreement, and cannot download Microsoft products.

GRADUATES: Graduate and professional school students are NOT covered, with the exceptions of Business School and CUMC students.

ALUMNI: Alumni - including recent graduates - are NOT covered, even if they previously were.

EMPLOYEES: Casuals, consultants, contractors and temporary staff are not covered.

FACULTY/INSTRUCTORS: Student officers, TA's and visiting scholars are NOT covered.

RETIREES: This service is not available to either Faculty or Staff retirees.

University Affiliates Covered

GRADUATES: Columbia Business School, SIPA and Columbia University Medical Center students only

EMPLOYEES: University administrative staff (Officers and Support Staff), Libraries only

FACULTY/INSTRUCTORS: Full-time Officers of Instruction and Officers of Research only
Personally-owned Computers

The University's Volume Licensing Media and keys may NOT be used for Microsoft Windows 7 installations on personally owned computers used primarily for university business. For those installations, faculty and staff must purchase a media kit from the bookstore.
Before You Begin
A Texas State faculty or staff NetID and password is required.
You must be your department's Software Contact.

Texas State has entered into a Campus Agreement with the Microsoft Corporation. This software is made available to you because of that Agreement. The software install is intended for the sole use of the faculty and staff member at Texas State University. This licensed install is granted to load Microsoft Product Activation enabled software on institution-owned or leased machines for institution-related work only.
All Butler owned Windows computers should be running Windows 7 Enterprise. If the computer you use is not on Windows 7, please contact the Help Desk.

For information regarding standard software, please visit our University Owned Software Standards page.

Buying Windows 7 for Work at Home
For information on purchasing a Windows 7 upgrade for your personal (home) computer, visit our Work at Home page
Basically, regardless of what appears to be some apparent availability of the Enterprise edition to students, I consider the likelihood of it actually being true in this case entirely dubious. However, if OP's school/work is actually offering it, then yes, they should/would be providing the ISO and the instructions on how to activate it against their licensing server.

OP needs to go to his work/school's IT dept. and request the ISO and activation instructions.

Last edited:
As a former student and former employee of Louisiana State University, I can say without a doubt that some universities are allowed to and do, give Windows 7 Enterprise to students for use on one (1) of their own computers. This computer must check in with the licensing server every 180 days either by being connected to the on campus network or through VPN. Also, after the person is no longer a student or faculty/staff, the lose their license to use the OS.

Basically, regardless of what appears to be some apparent availability of the Enterprise edition to students, I consider the likelihood of it actually being true in this case entirely dubious.

This is a funny sentence. Shouldn't evidence inform your beliefs? I'm telling you that I can validate it. I'm using a comp right now which was validated via my school. This should increase your belief that it is true and decrease your belief that it is dubious.

A small point, but why are people assuming bob1313134 is a student? He could be a member of staff.

Back