musings about nv product line

xorbe

Supreme [H]ardness
So I was updating my mega nv video card spreadsheet this evening (960, 970, 980). Screenshot of a small consolidation.

(1) for a long, LONG time, there was a gulf between 1536 and 2304 cores (+50%)

(2) the GTX 980 finally split the gulf between 1536 and 2304 cores.

(3) the GTX 970 packs 128 more cores than the GTX 770 while costing $70 less initially

(4) the GTX 980 packs 256 less cores than the GTX 780 while costing $50 more initially. BZZZT limitedaccess pointed out that the 780 was $650 at launch, later cut to $500.

(5) ???

(6) Profit!

Q6Eixl2.png

Last edited:
What's interesting to me is that the 970 (overclocked) meets/beats the 780 and even 780 Ti, while having far less cores, and for far less $$$. :)

What's interesting to me is that the 970 (overclocked) meets/beats the 780 and even 780 Ti, while having far less cores, and for far less $$$. :)

True, true. I think the 980 is a bad deal unless it is truly needed. Amazing that a 224-bit card is hanging with 384-bit prev generation. Seems like a lot more than just mem compression.

Can't wait to see what big Maxwell can do with more cores and 384-bit bus.

Didn't Maxwell do a fairly significant architectural change so the cores aren't as apples to apples as previously? I think if you compared them equally Maxwell is about 10-20% more efficient depending on Version 1.0 or 2.0 of Maxwell's architecture.

Given how Nvidia tends to do complete new architectures from the ground up every 4 years I hope to see something like this again in 2018 where until then everything between will continually start to push higher and higher core counts.

You can't compare the CUDA cores of Kepler/Maxwell and Fermi regardless of NVidia marketing wanting you to.

Specifically because they're not the same. Besides the improvements to the logic with Kepler and Maxwell NVidia changed what a CUDA core was comprised of. What made up 3 CUDA cores in Fermi is now 6 CUDA cores in Kepler. (This was from the last technical article I read when the shift from Fermi to Kepler happened.) Another example would be AMD and comparing the 5000 series to the 6000 series where AMD changed how the group their units (VLIW5 vs VLIW4.)

Regardless, comparing CUDA core count through the 3 different GPU families (Kepler, Maxwell, Fermi) really brings nothing to the table. I think you have one of the absolute best ways of comparing GPUs right here with the [H] video card reviews.

(3) the GTX 970 packs 128 more cores than the GTX 770 while costing $70 less initially

(4) the GTX 980 packs 256 less cores than the GTX 780 while costing $50 more initially

The actual launch MSRP of the GTX 780 was $650.

The GTX 780 price was cut to $500 at the time the GTX 770 (initial launch price was $400 MSRP) was cut to $330.

The actual launch MSRP of the GTX 780 was $650.

The GTX 780 price was cut to $500 at the time the GTX 770 (initial launch price was $400 MSRP) was cut to $330.

Oh, nice catch, I forgot about that. Maybe 980 Ti will knock down the 980 price too.

Ah, here's a good one.

GTX 460, 256-bit, 160W tdp, $225
GTX 980, 256-bit, 165W tdp, $550

:)

GTX 460 did not use a fully enabled GF104 chip.

The leads in new product cycles is typically "overpriced' (for lack of a better term) due to lack of response while the later products have to be priced more aggressively to enter the market. GTX 4xx was released post HD 5xxx so the pricing would be more aggressive.

Edit: Just to add the above is also why I feel that it is better for the consumer if both companies can release closer together. However looking at current trends it seems more likely that both AMD and Nvidia will be releasing more staggered against each other.

Last edited:

BUT DUDE....NVIDIA LIED MAN THE CARD IS A BUST :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ridiculous sheep on here hate it and want to rip off every retailer that ever sold them one, meanwhile the card really does perform...it just performs differently than they'd expect.

The 970 is an amazing bang for the buck. I could give a shit about the drama, I run 2 980 STRIX cards, but still I can't believe so many sheep on here just went with the mob mentality and trashed that card.

BUT DUDE....NVIDIA LIED MAN THE CARD IS A BUST :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ridiculous sheep on here hate it and want to rip off every retailer that ever sold them one, meanwhile the card really does perform...it just performs differently than they'd expect.

The 970 is an amazing bang for the buck. I could give a shit about the drama, I run 2 980 STRIX cards, but still I can't believe so many sheep on here just went with the mob mentality and trashed that card.

The 970 is exceptional value, I'll agree with you there. Where I disagree is that I believe the sheep are the ones that don't care if nVidia mauled the specs, aren't owning up to it, and are defending nVidia.

If the "big maxwell" has more cores than the 780ti and a 384 bit memory bus it will be a beast of a GPU, probably at least 30-50% better than a 980 at 1440p. Shame there is no HBM memory and 4096bit bus like the 390x is supposed to have.

Oh, nice catch, I forgot about that. Maybe 980 Ti will knock down the 980 price too.

Or more likely (based on past experience) the 980ti will just cost about £700 and the 980 will stay at the same price lol...

But if AMD can bring out some good competition that might push the 980 prices down... I am sure nvidia could lower the 980 price by £100 and still be making a profit as it is quite cheap card to produce...

Back