WoW Adding A Selfie Camera

HardOCP News

[H] News
What has the world come to when a game as big as World of Warcraft adds a selfie camera. :(

The World of Warcraft public test realms (PTR) went down earlier today to prepare for a new build. Beyond adding some new character models, class tweaks, and UI improvements, that build will include some new social media integrations. And let no one say that Blizzard isn't on the cutting edge of what's "in" these days, because your World of Warcraft character will soon be able to take a selfie.

Back in my day we had to turn off the UI and we called them screenshots! And we liked it! We loved it!

Didn't realize it was needed, just turn off the UI flip the camera to the front of your character and take your SS

This make sense actually. It gives people more options to take good pictures of their characters to share them with their friends.

People complain has a lack of content. So what does Blizzard do? Add the selfie feature. Just more casual crap to keep the casuals from leaving the game. I'd like to know their current subscription numbers already. Can't be looking too good, relative to WoW.

The expansion late last year increased subscribers from 7.4 million to over 10 million.

People complain has a lack of content. So what does Blizzard do? Add the selfie feature. Just more casual crap to keep the casuals from leaving the game. I'd like to know their current subscription numbers already. Can't be looking too good, relative to WoW.

I am pretty sure it didn't take a lot of resources to add. They are doing pretty decent at adding new content.

They are doing pretty decent at adding new content.

You're talking about a game that's been massively reusing assets since BC (models, boss mechanics, zones, straight up reusing the same raid), and its most recent expansion had its raid content halved from its original plans. "pretty decent" to you is a pretty low bar.
Didn't realize it was needed, just turn off the UI flip the camera to the front of your character and take your SS

They're making the UI friendly enough for the lowest common denominator. People that have been subbed for years yet have never raided or maybe even level capped, they just like wandering around. The kind of person who panics when they're told to do multi-key keyboard commands.

So you've got a Dwarf grabbing a selfie, as he's being tossed into the air and down a dragon's gullet.

Because:
BEFORE
DwarfMale10.jpg

AFTER
0.jpg

I am pretty sure it didn't take a lot of resources to add.
I hear people say this a lot. Yet it took 10 years for Blizzard to upgrade their models to 2007ish level quality. But like every month on MMOChampion you see this.

!NOW FOR THE LOW PRICE OF $40!
kittyKitty.jpg

This is the faces of WoW casuals who can't wait to buy this crap.
belfslaughing.jpg

They are doing pretty decent at adding new content.
I haven't played the game in a year and even I know their game content is dry and boring. Probably because the developers are too busy adding "Selfie Camera". BTW, if you look on MMOChamp, Blizzards been working on tweaking those facial models a lot probably for this feature.

Content is a subjective thing in WoW. I do not consider Pokemon game content. If it doesn't directly or indirectly make my character more powerful in some way, or add lore, it is not content. That's like saying drawing on the chalkboard in DukeNukem Forever is game content. Even those game developers would tell you it isn't. It's a fun addition that Steve or Lee was working on that they threw in the game.

I hear people say this a lot. Yet it took 10 years for Blizzard to upgrade their models to 2007ish level quality. But like every month on MMOChampion you see this.

I haven't played the game in a year and even I know their game content is dry and boring. Probably because the developers are too busy adding "Selfie Camera". BTW, if you look on MMOChamp, Blizzards been working on tweaking those facial models a lot probably for this feature.

Content is a subjective thing in WoW. I do not consider Pokemon game content. If it doesn't directly or indirectly make my character more powerful in some way, or add lore, it is not content. That's like saying drawing on the chalkboard in DukeNukem Forever is game content. Even those game developers would tell you it isn't. It's a fun addition that Steve or Lee was working on that they threw in the game.

But they're adding twitter integration on the PTR!

If Blizzard had spent more time developing new content, instead of recycling content, I might have continued playing after wotlk... but reading up on the "new content" every once in a while, so much of it is the same re-hashed crap. And now that they're busy adding selfies and twitter integration to tweet screenshots and loot... yeah screw that.

But they're adding twitter integration on the PTR!

If Blizzard had spent more time developing new content, instead of recycling content, I might have continued playing after wotlk... but reading up on the "new content" every once in a while, so much of it is the same re-hashed crap. And now that they're busy adding selfies and twitter integration to tweet screenshots and loot... yeah screw that.

I came to the conclusion that while developers are working on "content", I'm spending ungodly amounts of money for a boring uninteresting game. WoW wasn't always like this, but that's how the game evolved. As a enthusiast gamer you try to some degree to help them develop the game.

It's funny you mention their twitter integration cause every time someone posted something about a class mechanic, they would blow it off. I played a Ret Paladin from Vanilla until I quit. That's like borderline masochism in this game. Suggestions, websites, and all sorts of feedback about Ret Paladins. The Death Grip ability that Death Knights have was created by the Ret Paladin community. It wasn't of course called Death Grip but that's where they got the idea.

And of course every expansion has a class of the month. Don't know what's in WoD but in the past it's usually Warlocks, Mages, Rogue's, and etc. Usually a class that isn't popular at that moment. It's pretty obvious that some classes were meant to be over powered until their population reached a desired level. That can go on an entire expansion.

The worst thing to happen to WoW was when they lost Ghost Crawler. He was the only developer who was in constant communication with the community. I came to the conclusion that people who play WoW are constantly paying for perpetual beta testing. That's not how a game should work. Especially in a MMO where constantly communication is a must. Otherwise the developers disconnect themselves from the community and make huge stupid mistakes like remove the old talent system for the new stupid one they implemented. NOBODY LIKES IT! Everyone is just contempt with it.

...and its most recent expansion had its raid content halved from its original plans. "pretty decent" to you is a pretty low bar.
Incorrect. The expansion launched with all of its raid content in-tow—it has merely been gated by time to extend the content's lifespan. In fact, Blackrock Foundry opens on February 3rd (no patches are necessary).

I've never played WoW, but seeing it in action here and there this comes as no surprise. Isn't this a game hugely popular with 10-year olds, like Minecraft?

I came to the conclusion that while developers are working on "content", I'm spending ungodly amounts of money for a boring uninteresting game. WoW wasn't always like this, but that's how the game evolved. As a enthusiast gamer you try to some degree to help them develop the game.

It's funny you mention their twitter integration cause every time someone posted something about a class mechanic, they would blow it off. I played a Ret Paladin from Vanilla until I quit. That's like borderline masochism in this game. Suggestions, websites, and all sorts of feedback about Ret Paladins. The Death Grip ability that Death Knights have was created by the Ret Paladin community. It wasn't of course called Death Grip but that's where they got the idea.

And of course every expansion has a class of the month. Don't know what's in WoD but in the past it's usually Warlocks, Mages, Rogue's, and etc. Usually a class that isn't popular at that moment. It's pretty obvious that some classes were meant to be over powered until their population reached a desired level. That can go on an entire expansion.

The worst thing to happen to WoW was when they lost Ghost Crawler. He was the only developer who was in constant communication with the community. I came to the conclusion that people who play WoW are constantly paying for perpetual beta testing. That's not how a game should work. Especially in a MMO where constantly communication is a must. Otherwise the developers disconnect themselves from the community and make huge stupid mistakes like remove the old talent system for the new stupid one they implemented. NOBODY LIKES IT! Everyone is just contempt with it.

So basically you haven't played the game in years, however you strongly feel you know whats going on? :p

I've never played WoW, but seeing it in action here and there this comes as no surprise. Isn't this a game hugely popular with 10-year olds, like Minecraft?

The average player age in 2012 was 30, and that has probably increased since then. It doesn't mean there aren't kids (and immature players) in WoW, but they are far less common than they are in most other online games, like Halo, CoD or any free-to-play MMO.

The average player age in 2012 was 30, and that has probably increased since then. It doesn't mean there aren't kids (and immature players) in WoW, but they are far less common than they are in most other online games, like Halo, CoD or any free-to-play MMO.

Agreed, In my experience the younger players are mostly on the FPS games. WoW is full of single moms with their hungry babies lol.

I enjoy WoW mostly the pvp. Keeps my attention longer than most other games that have a rotation of about 3months. I have played since the end of vanilla and a lot has changed, some good and some bad. I can't fault a game too much that can hold 10M players 10 years later. Too many games that I enjoy end up losing their audience after the first month and it becomes too hard to find players to match up with. This one there is always a fight going on I can get into and play whether I have 30mins before work or a few hours on the weekend.

No, definitely not. It's a subscription based massively multiplayer online role-playing game. In other words, the target audience is those of whom have addictive personalities in addition to disposable income.

So basically you haven't played the game in years, however you strongly feel you know whats going on? :p

Yea and yet he throws up some quick reply to talk about a thing he know nothing about, oh just like everyone on the internet, like you.

Back