Time for new SSD.. Best 500ish gb?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Going to pickup a larger SSD.. who makes the best 500ish gb drive out right now?

2 fastest SSDs now i believe are the Samsung 850 Pro and Sandisk Extreme Pro, both with 10 year warranty as well

My thought is this: stick with a decent quality and more cost-friendly priced unit like a Crucial MX100 512GB. You're not going to be able to tell the performance difference between just about any synchronous NAND SSD in a blind taste test.

The only reason to spend the extra money on a "flagship" SSD is if you want/need the added warranty length.

At $175 the 512GB MX100 is hard to beat, and that model performs MUCH better than the 128 and 256 models.

MX100 has the best bang/buck. 0.01 ms access time is all you need for an OS and gaming SSD, no need for high transfer speeds.

Yes. Intel implemented RAID TRIM a couple years ago and has maintained support all the way up to their most recent drivers.

I wouldn't bother with RAID for an SSD unless it's RAID 1.

Yes. Intel implemented RAID TRIM a couple years ago and has maintained support all the way up to their most recent drivers.

So they did this via software? Is there a limit to which chipsets support it?

Just a word of warning on the mx100. I've been having random bsods caused by it after which the drive is not detected on reboot.
Quite a few people discussing it on the crucial forums but nothing being done.

I believe you need Z77 or X79 or newer to get TRIM on RAID.

Just a word of warning on the mx100. I've been having random bsods caused by it after which the drive is not detected on reboot.

What are your system specs? Crucial is still determining if it's an SSD firmware problem or a MoBo firmware problem, last I knew. I've had an MX100 in an older AMD powered HP 6455b with Win 7 Ent and BDE enabled for a couple months now without an issue.

What are your system specs? Crucial is still determining if it's an SSD firmware problem or a MoBo firmware problem, last I knew. I've had an MX100 in an older AMD powered HP 6455b with Win 7 Ent and BDE enabled for a couple months now without an issue.

I'm using a z87x-ud4h, never had any problems with other ssd's.
From what I've read it does seem to be more of an incompatibility with Intel systems or Intel rst.
I've switched to an 840 evo and am having no problems.

Regarding TRIM and RAID, Intel only supports passing the TRIM command to drives in a RAID 0 array.
7-series chipsets or newer are officially supported but it is possible to insert a modified Intel raid-rom into the bios of a 6-series board and get TRIM in RAID 0.

2 fastest SSDs now i believe are the Samsung 850 Pro and Sandisk Extreme Pro, both with 10 year warranty as well
No really correct, most SSD's will hit the SATA-III bottleneck with ease. Speed is not the best method of judging in this case. Quality will be the magic, if so then the Sammy Pro's and the Intel 530's take the cake.

Incorrectly applied statement. If you are asking about the Intel south-bridge, then yes, H/W RAID controllers, sadly, a lot don't.

I wouldn't bother with RAID for an SSD unless it's RAID 1.
It comes down to users Wants Vs. Needs Vs. Price. SSD's are a lot more stable than spinners and if good quality SSD's are used, RAID-0 works very well when setup correctly. If the user doesn't use any backup strategy then that is their issue to deal with if something goes wrong.

I believe you need Z77 or X79 or newer to get TRIM on RAID.
Not really correct. See below:

Any board that carries a ICH10R or newer south-bridge chipset, will pass TRIM to an SSD array. This basically includes anything from the X58 onwards and some of the Q45 or P45 boards.

Now, best SSD's I personally would use, the Intel 480GB, 530 series.

RAID-0 has no performance benefits for SSDs for general OS usage, and can even have a negative impact depending on the RAID solution.

RAID-0 has no performance benefits for SSDs for general OS usage, and can even have a negative impact depending on the RAID solution.

I can screenshot hitting 900 MB/s extracting rars and moving big files around.

Yes this has been coming around more and more, we have 2 accounting computers with m2's that were doing this, switched them to MX100 256G drives same thing, switched to intel POOF problem gone..

Someone had posted somewhere the specifics of what i was, like the SSD would turn it's self off / power save mode, but not back on quick enough resulting in a BSOD

I can screenshot hitting 900 MB/s extracting rars and moving big files around.

Good for you, again the OS has no benefit nor do %99.9999 of games. You described one of few things raid 0 does benefit...large files moving, extracting and so on. That is not General OS usage for most people.

Incorrectly applied statement. If you are asking about the Intel south-bridge, then yes, H/W RAID controllers, sadly, a lot don't.

Oh gee whiz, my mistake. I looked at Copyright's sig and assumed he is going to be using this new SSD(s) with his existing i7-4770K on his Z87 MoBo utilizing one (or more) of the integrated SATA ports. I should have saved you the trouble by initially asking if he will be using the new SSD(s) in his sig system or if it's for another system, and what the specific details regarding connection, implementation, and primary/secondary/tertiary use is going to be.

Hey, Copyright:
1. Will you be using the new SSD(s) in the system listed in your sig, or in an entirely different system?
2. How do you plan to connect it/them to the system in which it/they will be installed?
3. What kind of RAID implantation are you interested in invoking?
4. What will be the primary use of said SSD(s)?
5. Does the system in which the SSD(s) will be installed have adequate available physical mounting points?
6. Does the system in which the SSD(s) will be installed have an adequate PSU to handle the added power load requirement of the SSD(s) in addition to all the existing components?
7. Did you wipe your ass completely clean the last time you took a shit?
8. Does the system in which the SSD(s) will be installed have adequate airflow so that thermal throttling of the CPU and/or storage devices does not occur or the PSU will not go into thermal protection shutdown, if it is equipped with such a feature?
9. Is the system in which the SSD(s) will be installed oriented in an environment so that it's susceptibility to any FCC mandated acceptance of interferences is minimized or outright eliminated in order to prevent potential sustainable operational problems?

Certain forum members are assuming you don't know jack shit and are itching to give you very specific answers, as long as you present excruciatingly clear and concise information...which is going to be impossible for someone that doesn't know jack shit to even provide. Do you know jack shit?

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:cool:

Good for you, again the OS has no benefit nor do %99.9999 of games. You described one of few things raid 0 does benefit...large files moving, extracting and so on. That is not General OS usage for most people.

Never knew watching 1080 movies was exotic usage. Guess I'm more hardcore than I thought :rolleyes:

Raid 0 also gets you more capacity at less cost too.

That depends on a lot of factors.

Generally, 2 or more smaller SSDs (60-512GB) cost more than a single SSD equating to the combined striped capacity of the smaller drives.

If greater than 960GB-1TB of SSD capacity is desired, then it is almost always more cost effective to utilize 2 (or more) 960GB-1TB SATA drives in RAID0 than to get a 1920GB-2TB (or larger) single unit right now. This will change in the future when mainstream SSDs increase in capacity beyond 1GB.

Last edited:
Never knew watching 1080 movies was exotic usage. Guess I'm more hardcore than I thought :rolleyes:

Watching 1080p doesn't require 900 MB/s transfer speeds...

Samsung 850 EVO

Raid0 is supported but not raid1, not yet.

RST cannot see the array.

From what I could gather without TRIM you will lose 10% performance but most
top SSD's today have their own garbage collection.

Oh gee whiz, my mistake. I looked at Copyright's sig and assumed he is going to be using this new SSD(s) with his existing i7-4770K on his Z87 MoBo utilizing one (or more) of the integrated SATA ports. I should have saved you the trouble by initially asking if he will be using the new SSD(s) in his sig system or if it's for another system, and what the specific details regarding connection, implementation, and primary/secondary/tertiary use is going to be.

Hey, Copyright:
1. Will you be using the new SSD(s) in the system listed in your sig, or in an entirely different system?
2. How do you plan to connect it/them to the system in which it/they will be installed?
3. What kind of RAID implantation are you interested in invoking?
4. What will be the primary use of said SSD(s)?
5. Does the system in which the SSD(s) will be installed have adequate available physical mounting points?
6. Does the system in which the SSD(s) will be installed have an adequate PSU to handle the added power load requirement of the SSD(s) in addition to all the existing components?
7. Did you wipe your ass completely clean the last time you took a shit?
8. Does the system in which the SSD(s) will be installed have adequate airflow so that thermal throttling of the CPU and/or storage devices does not occur or the PSU will not go into thermal protection shutdown, if it is equipped with such a feature?
9. Is the system in which the SSD(s) will be installed oriented in an environment so that it's susceptibility to any FCC mandated acceptance of interferences is minimized or outright eliminated in order to prevent potential sustainable operational problems?

Certain forum members are assuming you don't know jack shit and are itching to give you very specific answers, as long as you present excruciatingly clear and concise information...which is going to be impossible for someone that doesn't know jack shit to even provide. Do you know jack shit?

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:cool:

HAHAH.. yeah I'm not that stupid just a little behind on the times.. I know what I am doing just curious about support etc.. awesome post by the way.. it truly made my day lol... I met Jack Shit last week.. awesome dude by the way...

and more risk as well.. as we all know....and as said is not always the case and will be changing.

I guess for me having 2 separate drives is not a huge issue, vs have one large drive and possibly loss of all data.

watching movies is not, but it was said "extracting" files...

Pretty much any SSD can max out a sata interface (or get close enough). Go for either the best bang/buck or best warranty.

The 850 Evo's are doing insanely good for the price, damn near meet or even exceed the 850 Pro's in some benchmarks and a helluva lot cheaper, I'm really liking mine

and more risk as well.. as we all know....and as said is not always the case and will be changing.

I guess for me having 2 separate drives is not a huge issue, vs have one large drive and possibly loss of all data.

watching movies is not, but it was said "extracting" files...

Even then, unless you are in a situation where waiting for extracting files causes you to lose money, waiting 20 minutes instead of 10 for a movie to extract is hardly worth possible complete data loss.

If you really wanted to combine drives, you could always run a JBOD. Even if one drive dies, the other is usually recoverable.

Back