Technology Gone Wrong Invention of the Day

f71beaed2b2a0d18a081fe28448c68ec43cc052c8c1539addfdaeede78e59800.jpg

The basic idea is sound: people working in hazardous environments need a way to detect chemical concentrations that can't be smelled.

I would think a beeping LED would be enough though...

The basic idea is sound: people working in hazardous environments need a way to detect chemical concentrations that can't be smelled.

I think the thing is, the motion (raising of the lip) is hard wired in animals' ability to "smell" chemicals, since it exposes the tongue and forces a combination of taste and smell to occur to identify a chemical. Since humans don't have this ingrained motion, we don't commonly combine the smell and taste of a chemical and our brains don't learn to identify them. It's like hand/eye coordination training equivalent for your sense of taste and smell.

That said, sound science doesn't make it a good idea.

Sounds like a device to force/manipulate evolution... Goofy as hell...

I think it's a hybrid technology-art project. Something designed to be functional, but in an artsy-fartsy way.

"The device’s fabrication and materiality plays with the aesthetic of the classical prosthesis while referencing the ancient human dream to obtain animal powers by wearing animal teeth or bone on the head. "

Oooooohhh, NOW I get it.

Great - so you can smell the substance that is killing you....but still have no way to prevent it from killing you. Nice. I think they already invented protective gear for this type of thing.

We have had meters for quite a while. This is something that does not need to exist. lol

I thought it said Fremen and then I thought about mining spice, so yeah.

The name of it is something I would expect to be sold along with Snake oil in the old west.

Back