Netflix's Viewing Data: How We Know What You Are Watching

HardOCP News

[H] News
How does Netflix know what you are watching? This blog post explains everything and it even has a diagram to help you understand how it all works (sorta).

Our system needs to know each member’s entire viewing history for as long as they are subscribed. This data feeds the recommendation algorithms so that a member can find a title for whatever mood they’re in. It also feeds the “recent titles you’ve watched” row in the UI. What gets watched provides key metrics for the business to measure member engagement and make informed product and content decisions.

Now if I could only edit my history to get rid of all of the shows my kids watch while using my user account.

make a new profile for them and for yourself/wife. The data may be a little bit less accurate at the beginning but it shouldn't take long for it to zero in.

Now if I could only edit my history to get rid of all of the shows my kids watch while using my user account.

You can remove history now.
Go to your Account Settings and click Viewing History in the "My Profile" section.

Well, duh! Can we file this in the "How does the video store know what I rented??" pile

You can remove history now.
Go to your Account Settings and click Viewing History in the "My Profile" section.

Will have to check that out...

I swear their recommendation system almost limits the content available to me. To the point where I have "seen" everything they think is worth offering me.

Then again their "new releases" sections never seem to change except for 1 a quarter.

I agree, the website shows a lot more. I wish you could search by genre on consoles and other devices.

Back