France: Social Media Giants Are Accomplices To Hate Speech

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know Facebook, Twitter and Google all have to be just thrilled about this.

“The big operators, and we know who they are, can no longer close their eyes if they are considered accomplices of what they host,” Hollande said. “We must act at the European and international level to define a legal framework so that Internet platforms which manage social media be considered responsible, and that sanctions can be taken.”

Wait...what?

Surely they see their hypocrite ways.

It's just rhetoric aimed at putting a collar around freedom of speech and expression. Apparently European governments hate that sort of thing.

Oh, they're just using the "gun makers are responsible for shootings" or "car makers are responsible for road traffic accidents" excuse to try to pass some laws mandating censorship of social media and I guess the whole internet.

Wow, guess they actually believe in.

If you don't have anything to say, don't say anything at all. (Also you may not reproduce, in any way, something not nice that someone else said, without the express written consent of the EU.)

How can you hold businesses responsible when patrons break the law? Businesses now have to be a police force? I'm not trying to encourage criminal/terroristic activity, but you're asking businesses to spy on conversations of everyone walking throw their proverbial doors.

"France has laws against making racist statements or denying the Holocaust."

Really? You punish people by law for denying the holocaust and making racist statement? Public criticism and shaming isn't enough to deter such behavior? If France had it there way, there'd be thought police on patrol.

Lol. I hear Britain is busy arresting people posting offensive tweets. Europe is a joke.

So not long after millions marched in support of free speech, including French leaders, they are pushing something to stifle free speech?

This just goes to show you that politicians are the same the world over.

Once again just goes to show how rare things like the first amendment really are, and how growing up in America shapes your perspective. Here we have the understanding that people have a natural right to speech - even wrong speech or speech with which we disagree - and a written guarantee that proscribes the government from enacting this type of nonsense (even though they try, over and over).

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

France should shut down their roadways then, surely they know that some hateful people driven on them, and they don't want to "host" them on their public roads.

How can you hold businesses responsible when patrons break the law? Businesses now have to be a police force? I'm not trying to encourage criminal/terroristic activity, but you're asking businesses to spy on conversations of everyone walking throw their proverbial doors.

Really? You punish people by law for denying the holocaust and making racist statement? Public criticism and shaming isn't enough to deter such behavior? If France had it there way, there'd be thought police on patrol.

The idea here is to justify the *government* taking over (or having someone take over) the job of "monitoring" all social media for signs of illegal "hate speech"... and, of course, they'd only focus on such things and not on any other anti-governmental speech going on.

This is to justify them getting their foot in the door.

People have a right to rant, and I welcome free-speech over this politically correct BS any day.

Unless its not slandering a person or business on an individual level or threatening some kind of specific action like "I will behead your sister or blow up the XYZ building", I simply don't care. I have the right to IGNORE what they are saying, and they have the right to have unpopular opinions.

TFA said:
Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said he will travel to the U.S. to seek help from the heads of Twitter Inc. and Microsoft Corp. as well as Google and Facebook.

wut? someone must be pushing for the same thing in the us as I can't imagine this guy just showing up at google hq. and twitter? laughable

JE-SUIS-CHARLIE-PARIS-RALLY.jpg

This is why I don't trust main stream media. Those "free world" leaders don't support free speech at all.

http://21stcenturywire.com/2015/01/...-of-press-freedom-march-for-charlie-in-paris/

It's just rhetoric aimed at putting a collar around freedom of speech and expression. Apparently European governments hate that sort of thing.

Show me one society/nation in the entire world where the people (who in all but the most extreme military dictatorships ARE the government) actually support free speech and expression. I see a lot of people claiming to support it, but when it's time to defend or expand it, the vast majority of every society/nation I have seen says, "i support free speech...except/but..." (and i do not mean in cases of yelling "fire" in a theatre)

I'm not going to argue the hypocrisy involved in the photo op, and especially the leaders of the US and UK (hell NATO as a whole) in particular pretending to support free speech. But the crowd behind the leaders of Israel and Palestine is most certainly not going to be random people from the street.

The blog you linked assumes that every single event in the world is a conspiracy, it's ridiculous on a biblical level. That doesn't mean it's always going to be wrong though. Bookmarked.

Show me one society/nation in the entire world where the people (who in all but the most extreme military dictatorships ARE the government) actually support free speech and expression.

Not many people care for free speech, people speaking freely increases the likelihood of hearing something you don't like.

I'm not going to argue the hypocrisy involved in the photo op, and especially the leaders of the US and UK (hell NATO as a whole) in particular pretending to support free speech. But the crowd behind the leaders of Israel and Palestine is most certainly not going to be random people from the street.

The blog you linked assumes that every single event in the world is a conspiracy, it's ridiculous on a biblical level. That doesn't mean it's always going to be wrong though. Bookmarked.

Netanyahu and Abbas were specifically asked not to attend the march because Hollande didn't want any potiental problems. Both of them agreed not to attend. Then at the last minute, Netanyashu went back on his word and attended the rally. Abbas followed suit. All the people there in the crowd are politicians, the street block were cordoned off by security, snipers, and police. The crowd behind Israel and Palestine leaders were not planned for their sake.

Legislation for this will be passed next week in my own Parliament (Canada). So it was coordinated. Any anti-Semitic-like comments and you will be labelled a terrorist. Happening fast...

Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!

+rep

We need to fight against those that threaten western civilization, instead of demonizing free speech.

We need to start fighting back against our governments that threaten our freedom.

They aren't technically wrong, it certainly facilitates and amplifies it. Still... settle down there France.

Yea... but that not being technically wrong, is also like saying gun makers, pencil makers, automobile makers, etc help facilitate murders

Its like saying mouths are accomplices to hate speech. Its a two way street, you have to take the bad with the good and luckily, there is more good than bad.

Nerves to our voice boxes should have a cybernetic switch installed at birth so the government can even silence your ability to even talk in person.

Lets concentrate all power into a single entity, the government, because power never corrupts.

Legislation for this will be passed next week in my own Parliament (Canada). So it was coordinated. Any anti-Semitic-like comments and you will be labelled a terrorist. Happening fast...

I weep for Western civilisation.

Related: Whenever I get hate mail, I like to blame the post office as well as the paper manufacturers for enabling the sender to spread hatred.

Back