Apple Announces Record iPhone Sales Over Holiday

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even with iPad sales falling, Apple managed to set records this holiday season thanks to strong iPhone sales in the US, Europe, and China.

Apple shares rose as much as 6.7 percent in extended trading Tuesday after the company reported that sales of iPhones during the quarter ended Dec. 27 rose 46 percent to 74.5 million units, topping analysts’ average estimate of 64.9 million. The sales helped push Apple’s fiscal first-quarter profit to a record $18 billion, or $3.06 a share, on sales of $74.6 billion. Analysts had predicted profit of $2.60 a share, and revenue of $67.5 billion.

I think alot of people were in my boat and ditched the iPad and just got the 6 plus. Does the job for me.

China, in fact all Asian countries love Apple stuff. When my parents go back to vietnam and china my relatives always ask for Apple products because they couldnt be bought or had huge price hike on it. Now people in china can easily buy iPhones I think iPhone sales will continue to boom.

On the flipside I actually did not buy anyone iPhones last holiday season for the first time in 3 years.

I think alot of people were in my boat and ditched the iPad and just got the 6 plus. Does the job for me.

Could be, but to me the 6+ has most of the disadvantages of a tablet (can't one hand it) and lacks the bigger screen of a tablet. Even the Mini is significantly bigger.

I'd get a 6+, but it's just too big to do anything one handed, other than talk on the phone, and who uses their phone to make calls? ;)

And in other news the evil Apple corporation continues to ream their customers with high prices.

I don't really blame Apple, I wish I had a product to sell with such high profit margins.

I do blame the sheep who have to have the latest trendy iphone/status symbol, and the wireless companies that hide the high cost of the phone in their contracts.

I know people who constantly complain about not having enough money, yet they bought an iphone 6 and signed up for an expensive 2 year contract. (one also drives a new leased BMW, but that's another story.

Meanwhile I'm still using my 3 year old S3 on T-Mobile and paying less for my family plan ( couple of additional Nexus 4's) than they are for a single phone.

This is a result of a massive tidal-wave of upgrades to the iphone 6 platform after years of Apple being out of touch with the big-screen phone market. The iPod line is dead, and the iPad line is in decline as we've reached a saturation point with Tablets and laptops are starting to eat their lunch again. Apple's iWatch is a device in search of a market.

And in other news the evil Apple corporation continues to ream their customers with high prices.

I don't really blame Apple, I wish I had a product to sell with such high profit margins.

I do blame the sheep who have to have the latest trendy iphone/status symbol, and the wireless companies that hide the high cost of the phone in their contracts.

I know people who constantly complain about not having enough money, yet they bought an iphone 6 and signed up for an expensive 2 year contract. (one also drives a new leased BMW, but that's another story.

Meanwhile I'm still using my 3 year old S3 on T-Mobile and paying less for my family plan ( couple of additional Nexus 4's) than they are for a single phone.

The S3 (if it's the stock OS) is a slow, borderline unusable phone (and that was true at launch), so it's really not comparable. You could use an iPhone 5 right now and it'd be perfectly usable (4s not so much).
There have always been people who buy the latest and greatest phones. I can recall people changing phones ever 3 or 4 months 10 years ago and half of them were changing flip phones :rolleyes:

But let's pretend you had a 5s and sold it in August (I'll assume we all keep a backup phone, so you used whatever for a month or 2). Doing that would have gotten you about $425 (give or take) for the 5s, which was no more than 225 less than what it cost new a year earlier and exactly 225 less than retail for a new iPhone 6.

that's really not a big deal for those that want the latest (and the 6 was a fairly big upgrade compared to the 5s...the 6s probably not so much).

I've got friends that upgrade every year, because they feel they effectively end up getting most of their money when selling the old phone (not sure I agree, but whatever). Most, however, hold onto their phone for at least the terms of the lease. With lower pricing for paid off phones, there's more incentive to hold them longer.

That was a monster quarter for AAPL. I read this is the most any company has ever made in a single quarter.
They have a large cash pile - ponders what I would do with that much cash...
I think the shareholders are going to be expecting some reward. They'v had dividends in the past, would not be surprised if they do more "one time payouts".

I am impressed this thread hasn't devolved into Android vs iPhone yet.

Much anger in him... small penis he must have.

Pssst. 2008 called, they said judging people based on their cell phone choice only proves how much of an intolerable twat you are.

I've had my iphone 5 for a couple years now, which still runs flawlessly. Gonna hold out til September to upgrade.

The S3 (if it's the stock OS) is a slow,

borderline unusable phone (and that was true at launch), so it's really not comparable. You could use an iPhone 5 right now and it'd be perfectly usable
But let's pretend you had a 5s

Lets not.

If I had to replace my phone, I'd pick the S3 over an iphone 5 any day.

The tiny screen on the iPhone 5 would be unusable with my large hands/fingers, and the lack of a microsd slot kills the deal.

The S3 is stock except for the 32GB I've added. The settings have been optimized for my usage. It's a little slow for some games, but perfectly usable for email, texting and calls which is my main usage. I can still get a full day out of the original battery if I don't waste it on games.

Of course if I was going to spend the money, I'd probably go with something like the S5

This is a result of a massive tidal-wave of upgrades to the iphone 6 platform after years of Apple being out of touch with the big-screen phone market. The iPod line is dead, and the iPad line is in decline as we've reached a saturation point with Tablets and laptops are starting to eat their lunch again. Apple's iWatch is a device in search of a market.

And we have the real reason. Wait another couple quarters and see how much their sales drop are now that everyone who could afford to has upgraded from the antiquated 4/5 iphones.

And we have the real reason. Wait another couple quarters and see how much their sales drop are now that everyone who could afford to has upgraded from the antiquated 4/5 iphones.

Well that's kind of the way it works. The iPhone 6 was a big upgrade so lots of people upgraded at once. I doubt the next iPhone will be a big of deal, no pun intended. Bigger phones was an obvious one that everyone new were coming and its easy to see why Apple sold a zillion of them. It's not so easy to see what the next iPhone would bring that's as drool worthy. But the iPhone is THE smartphone.

in a couple quarters the iPhone 6s and 6+s will be released and we'll be treated to another flurry of bitter articles and responses related to record sales around the globe again. pretty sure that's the trend since the first iPhone was released anyway but I guess people can keep hoping that our most successful US based corporation, garage-grown success story fails :rolleyes:

I'm actually amazed at how many people buy and/or expect $600+ gifts at Christmas. It seems everyone and their dog gets an iphone on Christmas these days.

I would not even have the nerve to ask for that. I'm happy with a $100 home depot gift card lol.

Of course it'll slow down. 6/6+ sales peaked last quarter. They'll do well this quarter. A bit worse next quarter and will crater in the summer and it'll start over again in the fall (though maybe not as fast as the 6. Some people upgrade every refresh, but most will ride it out until the 7 comes out. Some may wait for the 7s.

Bottom line is this is how Apples sales were last year too. Once the summer comes, everyone just waits until the next model comes out. Even if they get a 6, they know the price will drop.

I'm actually amazed at how many people buy and/or expect $600+ gifts at Christmas. It seems everyone and their dog gets an iphone on Christmas these days.

I would not even have the nerve to ask for that. I'm happy with a $100 home depot gift card lol.

I suspect most of these phones are $200.00 or $300 and the recipient has to sign a new contract (or if it came from a spouse or parent, they already renewed it).

If everyone was buying contract free phones, then the market has changed significantly. I know what Prepaid is where I work, and it's a very small percentage of our total subscriber base. Hint it's almost identical to OS X vs Windows.

Well that's kind of the way it works. The iPhone 6 was a big upgrade so lots of people upgraded at once. I doubt the next iPhone will be a big of deal, no pun intended. Bigger phones was an obvious one that everyone new were coming and its easy to see why Apple sold a zillion of them. It's not so easy to see what the next iPhone would bring that's as drool worthy. But the iPhone is THE smartphone.

Prediction: nobody remembers this comment when they call you a shill for microsoft.

As long as subsidized upgrades are a big thing, we will see lots of people upgrading every quarter because it is only $200. As for me, I still use an iPhone 5 from just over two years ago on an unsubsidized plan. Hope to for another year or more before I need to buy a new phone.

I suspect most of these phones are $200.00 or $300 and the recipient has to sign a new contract (or if it came from a spouse or parent, they already renewed it).

If everyone was buying contract free phones, then the market has changed significantly. I know what Prepaid is where I work, and it's a very small percentage of our total subscriber base. Hint it's almost identical to OS X vs Windows.

What I do is buy them outright first then give them to my family and the old ones which I also bought I just sell back. Though I usually keep one of the iPhones because I like to collect them. Well at least that what I did for the last 3 years with the exception of the iPhone 6, usually it comes out to an avg. of $350~ a phone.

Prediction: nobody remembers this comment when they call you a shill for microsoft.

Don't know why people think he's a shill. He's knowledgeable, and argues against FUD, but it never felt like he was shilling for MS. These days I'm fairly pro MS (though I had a Win 8 BSOD today...with a message that was even less useful than the old ones...at least they had stop codes I could search on), but if you were to go back 20 years, I was very critical of them...I started turning when they got hammered for giving IE away. They deserved what they got, but IE wasn't why.

FWIW, loyal netscape user until FF came out (and there was some pretty bad versions of Netscape toward the end).

Back