How VMware And NVIDIA Can Bring Your Work To You

HardOCP News

[H] News
Soon, you won’t have to go to the office. It will come to you. The workplace is no longer a desk with a PC and keyboard. Businesses need to keep connected with a mobile workforce using different devices in different places. They need to keep data secure. And they need to offer even graphics-rich applications, wherever their users roam. We built NVIDIA GRID technology for exactly these challenges. And we’ve partnered with the world leader in virtualization, VMware, to deliver it to companies around the world.

Our goal is to deliver powerful, graphics-intensive applications for virtual desktop environments. GRID technology, with VMware Horizon, puts graphics cards in the data center so anyone from power users and designers to Windows app users can enjoy a graphics experience equivalent to dedicated hardware.

Currently using Citrix. I'll be exploring GRID in the future.

Grid's pretty awesome. So many use cases that use to be showstoppers were solved by it. Expensive, but for companies that need it it's more than worth it.

My office is already virtualized. And, if need be, I can get into any system on the network via remote access.

I've been doing this for about 5 years now. I haven't had to "go to the office" for a good 5-6 years now.

My office is already virtualized. And, if need be, I can get into any system on the network via remote access.

I've been doing this for about 5 years now. I haven't had to "go to the office" for a good 5-6 years now.

It's not talking about that. It's talking about the crowd of people that need GPU acceleration for their work. Architects, game designers, product designers, movie studios, etc.

It's not talking about that. It's talking about the crowd of people that need GPU acceleration for their work. Architects, game designers, product designers, movie studios, etc.

The thing about VDI is that it solves a problem that very few companies actually have.

From a CAPEX perspective VDI costs at least the same as non-VDI endpoints. From an OPEX perspective VDI only saves money if you had a shitty environment to begin with, but you would have saved the same money in a better engineered non-VDI environment.

VDI introduces a lot of complexity, lots of points where a failure would be catastrophic unless you over-engineer.

The TCO/ROI calculators are all bullshit because they project tons of OPEX savings. The truth on the ground is that those savings simply do not exist. With a proper implementation of Altiris, RES, and/or SCCM you get all the same benefits without all the complex overhead of VDI.

VDI doesn't bring the work to you unless the network connection between the datacenter and your place has consistently very low latency.

At my old job we did a POC and a Pilot for VMware/Nvidia (K1 cards) and then abandoned the effort because it just didn't make any financial sense.

At my new job we have a fairly large production system providing XenApp for which there is a compelling business case.

Also, and only somewhat related, if you want to know what the #1 VDI killer is look no further than MS Office licensing.

The thing about VDI is that it solves a problem that very few companies actually have.

From a CAPEX perspective VDI costs at least the same as non-VDI endpoints. From an OPEX perspective VDI only saves money if you had a shitty environment to begin with, but you would have saved the same money in a better engineered non-VDI environment.

VDI introduces a lot of complexity, lots of points where a failure would be catastrophic unless you over-engineer.

The TCO/ROI calculators are all bullshit because they project tons of OPEX savings. The truth on the ground is that those savings simply do not exist. With a proper implementation of Altiris, RES, and/or SCCM you get all the same benefits without all the complex overhead of VDI.

VDI doesn't bring the work to you unless the network connection between the datacenter and your place has consistently very low latency.

At my old job we did a POC and a Pilot for VMware/Nvidia (K1 cards) and then abandoned the effort because it just didn't make any financial sense.

At my new job we have a fairly large production system providing XenApp for which there is a compelling business case.

Also, and only somewhat related, if you want to know what the #1 VDI killer is look no further than MS Office licensing.

But how do you handle interactive 3D when virtualized? A big part of this is having the driver and software work together to not only lower input latency, but to be able to get realtime framerates for renders, unlike what something like VNC would do, which is a high level shitter and slower desktop capture. I'm not sure how Remote Desktop handles 3D... It used to not support it.

But how do you handle interactive 3D when virtualized?

Short answer; you don't.
Long answer; you deploy even more complex and costly solutions instead of just buying people a low cost PC that you can get at a grocery store with a decent 3D card in it.

Back