Need help with HDD

Lokirus

n00b
I bought my laptop a few months back now and its been problem after problem, the latest being the transfer rates or at least i think thats whats wrong is really bad. When launching to desktop the Disk Transfer is maxed out at 100% and the system laggs horribly with anything i try and open stopping responding instantly. Im at the point where i don't know what to do. Another example is that when installing anything the system laggs and with steam i get stuck on busy righting to disk for ages. oh the laptop is a lenovo y500 and the HDD is a ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB 1tb or at least thats what crystal disk says. I would greatly appreciate any help. This is my first time posting so im sorry if i didn't write down everything that i need too.

Last edited:
Have you updated firmware and drivers?

Specifically chipset and storage controller, then HD firmware?

Have you checked for SMART errors?

A few things you might check:
1. Check task manager/running processes. Anything pegging out your CPU or memory?
2. Might want to scan for virus/malware (or at least check you antivirus software - I've seen some solutions use a ridiculous amount of resources)
3. If it's not an SSD, check for fragmentation? I don't see this too often anymore but would not hurt to do a quick check.
I looked on Newegg, your laptop is an i5 so should be pretty peppy.

Back