Windows 10 Build 9926: Where's Windows Update?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Windows 10 is going to be different as are all new operation systems, but nothing on the scale of Windows 8. There will be a UI learning curve, but if you take in the new features in small bites, it will all fall into place long before the OS is released. This installment we are going to play Finding Windows Update and Where the hell is the Control Panel? :D

Sigh...why? Seriously this smacks of Win 8 arrogance again of them just changing shit for the sake of changing it with zero actual benefit.There is no damn good reason to get rid of control panel, it serves its purpose just fine. It isn't a place the average idiot user has any business being anyhow.

I also should mention since I'm using the test build in a VM at the moment. While marginally better than 8 the UI as a whole just looks like uninspired shit compared to Aero glass. Really tired of this trend of boring as hell UI's. It looked best in Vista, it still looked good in 7 though not quite as refined and then 8 came along and just destroyed all of that. First two MS OS's that ever had a good looking UI and at this rate the only two.

Sigh, guess I'll be back to the XP days of UI replacements before long. So much for progress.

why can't buttons be buttons and labels be labels on those buttons?

This screenshot shows a settings (control panel) that has less information about each menu, and from the looks of it less options immediately available with one click .... all while taking up equal or more space than the Win7 version (and this is talking about the "user friendly" version, not the categorized version which would be unheard of to show off, those disgusting windows users who have actually touched a pc before).

Minimalism is fine, as long as it doesn't remove function and is intuitive. They're just barely starting to get the intuitive part right (again, barely), but the functionality part is still getting hacked apart.

Sigh...why? Seriously this smacks of Win 8 arrogance again of them just changing shit for the sake of changing it with zero actual benefit.There is no damn good reason to get rid of control panel, it serves its purpose just fine. It isn't a place the average idiot user has any business being anyhow.

What changed that I am missing? you can put the control panel icon on your desktop and access it that way, you can right click the start button and access it, you can window key + c to bring up the charm and access it, you can type control panel into the start menu and bring it up. It is still there just was it was before. They didn't remove it.

Wait, they got rid of the old Control Panel entirely?

I guess windows update did move, I thought still saw it in the "old" control panel before. i have been using that new one already as that is how I got the new build so didn't pay much attention after that.

I think its good to move stuff around. Why would they want to keep it in the same place and have people using the OS like a boss? If a business with thousands of user computers wants to switch, its good job security for the help desk techs.(though you might need to hire a few more for a bit)

:p

Wait, they got rid of the old Control Panel entirely?

no, it is still there. In windows 8 they introduced PC Settings as a more basic user version of the control panel. They had an update and recovery section which is where windows update was living along with the old style control panel, it looks like they moved to only using that one version of windows update.

Can someone who works at Microsoft please explain how the fuck these decisions are made, and why? Instead of doing awesome shit like adding tabs and virtual folders to File Explorer, you go into an area of Windows where no improvement is required and remove items from it.

Minimalism is fine, as long as it doesn't remove function and is intuitive. They're just barely starting to get the intuitive part right (again, barely), but the functionality part is still getting hacked apart.

Unifying Control Panel and Settings has long been a top requested feature. The new Settings is a work in progress but will probably ultimately replace Control Panel but still have everythig that's in both Control Panel and Settings.

no, it is still there. In windows 8 they introduced PC Settings as a more basic user version of the control panel. They had an update and recovery section which is where windows update was living along with the old style control panel, it looks like they moved to only using that one version of windows update.

The Control Panel isn't particualrly tablet friendly either. I know people will say that this is yet another example of why you can't combine a tablet and desktop UI into one but it's not like the Control Panel is the ultimate in design. It's been cobbled together over 2 decades with this and that cleaning it up even from the desktop perspective is kind of long overdue.

It's this kind of reaction though why it's so hard to make changes in Windows. Someone if going to complain or then say well there needs to be an option to make it work like the old stuff.

I never used win 8 much and I have to search for just about everything as I can't find anything normally through menus in 10. I guess MS is taking the government approach of if it ain't broke, fix it till it is. I actually liked the look of the GUI of the last build better. Why the hell do they even have a menu when I can't find anything in it that I want and am forced to use search? At least the search works. Looks like I will be staying on 7 for a while longer.

The Control Panel isn't particualrly tablet friendly either. I know people will say that this is yet another example of why you can't combine a tablet and desktop UI into one but it's not like the Control Panel is the ultimate in design. It's been cobbled together over 2 decades with this and that cleaning it up even from the desktop perspective is kind of long overdue.

It's this kind of reaction though why it's so hard to make changes in Windows. Someone if going to complain or then say well there needs to be an option to make it work like the old stuff.

Examples like what was given in that article show that the new XP version of the control panel isn't even liked as people always seem to go back to the pre XP version. I know people that do the same thing, can't find anything in the control panel unless they set it back to the classic view. If after this many years people still can't figure it out that shows a change is needed.

Interesting they did move it. Oh well I haven't actually looks for menus for anything since XP so no big loss.

Except for the fact that the Virtual Box guest additions video driver does not work, it seems pretty good to me. Initially, it was a shock but it got the hang of it quickly once I started using it a bit more. Someone on this forum said they could not get the search to work the way it was before but I just tried it and it works. (Press windows keys, start typing and hit enter.) Maybe a bug?

They also have a enable tablet mode in the settings, interesting. So, at least for now, you can choose manually what you want, desktop or tablet mode no matter what you are using.

They also have a enable tablet mode in the settings, interesting. So, at least for now, you can choose manually what you want, desktop or tablet mode no matter what you are using.

The search function also seems to work well with typos which I can get a lot of. :D Looks like they are slowing integrating everything into one control panel type windows instead of the two separate ones which folks do not seem to like.

Sigh...why? Seriously this smacks of Win 8 arrogance again of them just changing shit for the sake of changing it with zero actual benefit.
Windows 8.x has the Control Panel and the Settings app, which have overlapping and non-overlapping settings that they can each control.

This is confusing as all hell.

Windows 10 is slated to have a single Settings app that is unified and all-encompassing. They're fixing an annoyance, not changing things for the sake of change.

Came in here expecting overreactions and nerd tantrums, was not disappointed.

I have been thinking of them as negative nannies and go out of my way to avoid them now. Once I started using the newest preview build, things made a lot of sense even though I was a little put off at first. :) Looks like this year has a lot of good stuff coming in the Microsoft department.

Hopefully, AMD will have their Zen cpu out not longer after that. :)

Microsoft has said they are removing the Control Panel.

Putting Windows Update under the "Update and Recovery" group ... the humanity...:rolleyes:

Putting Windows Update under the "Update and Recovery" group ... the humanity...:rolleyes:
The only real issue, at-present, is that all the options that were available for Windows Update in the Control Panel are not represented in the Settings app.

For example, you can't selectively install updates, or hide updates, or configure advanced update schedules. This caused me some headaches when Windows 10 kept trying to re-install a bad video driver from Windows Update that caused my laptop to enter a BSoD/Reboot loop.

I'm sure all those settings will return before launch, but it's a bit annoying at the moment.

Didn't like Win8 having a confused mix of settings and control panel, I hope this clears up that confusion and doesn't add to the plate.

The only real issue, at-present, is that all the options that were available for Windows Update in the Control Panel are not represented in the Settings app.

For example, you can't selectively install updates, or hide updates, or configure advanced update schedules. This caused me some headaches when Windows 10 kept trying to re-install a bad video driver from Windows Update that caused my laptop to enter a BSoD/Reboot loop.

I'm sure all those settings will return before launch, but it's a bit annoying at the moment.

have you entered feedback about that issue?

If the control panel and Windows update is still stuck in tablet mode 100% of the time in windows 10

m$ can forget about the free upgrade because UI wise its still a bloody downgrade for PC mouse and KB users.

Im not gonna put any eggs in a company that fucks shit up intentionally.

They got it right with win7 ,

if they can get it right with win 10 ...

they deserve to be labeled retards

Im not gonna put any eggs in a company that fucks shit up intentionally.

They got it right with win7 ,

if they can get it right with win 10 ...

they deserve to be labeled retards

if they *cant get it right with win 10

why can't buttons be buttons and labels be labels on those buttons?

This screenshot shows a settings (control panel) that has less information about each menu, and from the looks of it less options immediately available with one click .... all while taking up equal or more space than the Win7 version (and this is talking about the "user friendly" version, not the categorized version which would be unheard of to show off, those disgusting windows users who have actually touched a pc before).

I am with you on this... the new 2013 flat, white+primary color UI design seems to blur everything together to me. Ribbons and menus become a wall of text, and monotone color, is the best way for me to describe it.

Previous buttons, sections, unique colors and other "3D" like effects created separation my eyes/mind would quickly differentiate groups of menus/buttons.

Then again maybe its just you get so used to this icon looking exactly like X and being exactly in Y position anyways... and what ever change would throw you off.

Indeed. Also dont forget to mention all the FUD and panic people will be spreading, as will be the norm with every piece of Windows 10 news. Next piece of speculation: Future DirectX updates will be renamed to DirectXBox and will require a subscription to XBox live. Go! :rolleyes:

Didn't like Win8 having a confused mix of settings and control panel, I hope this clears up that confusion and doesn't add to the plate.

In general it's a significant improvement over win8. Again this isn't a big deal, certainly not as terrible a decision as metro was, but still a poor decision. I said it during the previews of win8 and I stick by it, change for the sake of change with no tangible benefit is poor change. My main gripe is the ui more and more looks like something an entry level designer came up with. It is not elegant or good looking in the least unlike glass. The other nice thing about glass was, if you didn't like it you could turn it off. Everyone was happy. That however is minor aesthetics and won't make me outright boycott this one. So far the preview is good enough I'll only be be in the corner with minor grumbling.

In general it's a significant improvement over win8. Again this isn't a big deal, certainly not as terrible a decision as metro was, but still a poor decision. I said it during the previews of win8 and I stick by it, change for the sake of change with no tangible benefit is poor change. My main gripe is the ui more and more looks like something an entry level designer came up with. It is not elegant or good looking in the least unlike glass. The other nice thing about glass was, if you didn't like it you could turn it off. Everyone was happy. That however is minor aesthetics and won't make me outright boycott this one. So far the preview is good enough I'll only be be in the corner with minor grumbling.

Benefit for who though? For the average user the settings app is more streamlined for what they need, it also makes its categories very clear, which as I pointed out above I know sys admins personally who always have to set the current control panel back to classic as after all these years they still can't figure out where certain things are at or should be in the control panel. The article shows the same thing where they still need to use the old classic view.

At the moment it seems like change for the hell of it, but one we see it all finished and actually use it for awhile maybe we will find that the changes actually do make it easier to find certain things, even if just for the average user trying to make some change on their own.

In defense of 10, there is a WORLD of difference stability-wise between the last build and this one. The previous version would freeze constantly when trying to invoke an Explorer environment. One would hit the folder icon in the taskbar and nothing would come up. The icon itself would respond, but after awhile it would revert back to the "unpressed" graphic. And on the off chance Explorer would come up, it would sit there forever trying to sort itself out (and frequently die in the process).

This build seems to fix that. I've not encountered such behavior at all (at least, not yet).

However, that said, Unknown-One is completely correct regarding Windows Update (WU) and how, in its current form, it is severely nerfed. It's now an all-or-nothing proposition when installing updates, which is rather alarming considering vendor drivers are almost always more recent than what WU reports. And Windows can't always tell that a newer driver has already been installed versus the WU version, so it'll regress back to the WU package.

So, it's a good news/bad news scenario at the moment. I'm sure the "new" WU will incorporate the "old" WU options in some future build, but at this current time it's definitely a fairly big step back.

Indeed. Also dont forget to mention all the FUD and panic people will be spreading, as will be the norm with every piece of Windows 10 news. Next piece of speculation: Future DirectX updates will be renamed to DirectXBox and will require a subscription to XBox live. Go! :rolleyes:

You realize this was actually the Microsoft plan, right? They tried charging monthly for Xbox LIVE on PC.

I don't know... I honestly didn't see what was wrong with the control panel as it was. It was concise and organized IMO. I'm sure MS could of included larger icon options or wrap it in a touch friendly UI for tablet users while still keeping it familiar for both camps. This is certainly a better solution that using two different menus to change system settings (windows 8)... but it sounds like they're still not getting what made so many people hate on Windows 8. Microsoft, with Windows 8 and 10, reminds me of Coke changing their recipe back in the 80's. It's completely blew up in their face and were forced to re-introduce Coke-Classic. They were trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

From the sounds of it, I'll be claiming my Key when it's released, for the hell of it, and going back to 7.

While marginally better than 8 the UI as a whole just looks like uninspired shit compared to Aero glass. Really tired of this trend of boring as hell UI's. It looked best in Vista, it still looked good in 7 though not quite as refined and then 8 came along and just destroyed all of that. First two MS OS's that ever had a good looking UI and at this rate the only two.

I (and lots of users, I'm sure) couldn't agree more. I get that abstract/high contrast is the newest fad, but there is something very pleasing/calming about the Aero desktop design. I'm really hoping that MS gives users a choice in the theme they wish to use with Windows 10.

Back