Which 4U 24 Bay rackmount storage server

SciGeek

n00b
Been a longtime [H]F lurker! I am in the process of buying a server.
I’m based in India.This is for an All-In-One ESXi build.
The specifications of the proposed build are:
Xeon E5-2620V3 +heatsink.
Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F Motherboard (w/ LSI 3008 HBA onboard, 4*GbE)
2x16GB KVR18R13D4/16KF 1866 MHz Server Memory (or equivalent Samsung/Hynix DIMMs preferred)
My requirement is:
Low noise fans, Expander backplane, sturdy trays, overall well built.
I have to decide over these options whether to go for AIC 4U 24 Bay Expander Chassis (RSC-4EH) or the equivalent, Supermicro SC846BE16-R920B, Chenbro RM41824 Expander version,
AIC is generally not cheaper alternative than the Chenbro or Supermicro. But it has some nice features like 120mm fans(quieter) front lock, etc. What I do not have is the details, image of the expander backplane. The server will be in my room.
A distributor has AIC chassis in stock with Rail kit(same price as Supermicro)
I also need support for 6TB HDDs.
Build quality of the chassis is also a major concern for me.
P.S. I can even consider a Supermicro but they are quite expensive here.
I’m also worried about Supermicro’s fans (80mm, Very High RPM) and RPS as they are noisy. Also, I have seen Chenbro chassis & they are pretty well built!
I don’t want to even bother with Norco chassis for the quality/QC issues!
http://www.aicipc.com/ProductDetail.aspx+++++++RSC-4EH

Last edited:
I am not going to get into detail here as you have made your own requirements that will be hard to please.

24-bay chassis's need fans with higher blade-tip speeds to keep up the tractive effort. The airflow over drives is very restricted and you will need some fan grunt. Plenty of people will suggest 120mm fan mods but most don't realise that 120mm fans simply fail at moving enough air and end up in cavitation. You are going to be putting a system in the back and it needs airflow as well as the PSU/PSU's.

Buying a chassis just to suit expander options is foolish, buy a chassis with passive direct pass-through and use your own expander. A lot more options now but also less dependance on the chassis if you have issues with expander.

Being a SM board, a SM chassis stands more chance of being compatible with the various cables and connectors.

P.S The s2011 CPU's are quad-channel, try and source RAM in groups of 4 DIMM's.

Back