Leatherman Tread Is a Utility Wearable That Fits a Toolbox on Your Wrist

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Looking for a different type of wearable, something that will actually do something useful and look good while it does it? Look no further than the Leatherman Tread. It comes as a bracelet or the fancier model as a watch. Either version will give you 25 workable tools right on your wrist.

That would be fun to get through security at the airport. And yeah, my arm hair would not get along with that.
Still, good idea. I have a Leatherman I've used for the last 20 years or so.

It looks great and this has *some* minimal function, but in reality there isn't much you can do with stubby bits. Most of the stuff I typically need a philips for has a well at least a half inch deep. I feel like I'd be saying "is it in yet" as I turn and contort around my tool. ;)

Neat idea except for the $150-200 price for the tool bracelet that I suspect is Made in China quality.

I'll pass on this, but I'm almost always packing a Skeletool. Leatherman products are solid!

Those of us with unusually narrow wrists would have to remove tools to make it fit.

Looking for a different type of wearable, something that will actually do something useful and look good while it does it? Look no further than the Leatherman Tread. It comes as a bracelet or the fancier model as a watch. Either version will give you 25 workable tools right on your wrist.

...and get you detained a the airport when you forget to take it off :p

Interesting idea, would prefer an anklet with more functionality. Instead of being 1" wide it could be 4"-5" wide and really offer some utility. I know plenty of guys that wear a knife in an ankle holster and wouldn't mind having another 20 tools on them at all times.

I can imagine that if you were one of the folks that like their watch to be loose on your wrist that the links could fold around enough to dig into your wrist just enough to be annoying.

I haven't worn or owned a watch since I got my first cellphone in the late 90s.

For the most part they are just silly expensive male jewelry these days.

If I had to wear a watch, give me a basic $5 model any day over one of those silly showoff pieces.

I like the functional aspect though, but how much can you really do with little bits that fit in a bracelet.

I received a nice Tag Heuer watch a few years for a 10 year service award at the company I was at. It's nice - but I've only worn it maybe 10 times in the last 8 years? I should probably sell it...
So, I'm not excited about smart watches at all. The tech is kind of limp and I don't want to look like a dork using tech just because it's there.

Can someone please tell me how this is in any way practical.

Trying to invent a purpose for obsolete timepieces, since people now have phones on them that have that information at a glance, or fitbit and similar devices on the wrist the show the time and measure heartrate and activity and sleep patterns and the like.

And this looks like another device that you wouldn't want to really use for either purpose, being an uncomfortable band for your wrist compared to leather, and not a very good tool when you're actually trying to put together an Ikea table.

Coming from a hardcore leatherman fan and collector of multi-tools and tools in general. I seriously see no practical use for this. Blades on all the drivers are too shallow for much of anything except maybe changing toy batteries. How much torque could you possibly put out with anything on that bracelet. Anyone serious about having a usable tool kit on them will grab a solid multi tool. This is jewelry aimed at gear heads and not practical at all IMO. I don't even see how this could be useful in a survival situation. As to the article stating the designer wanted to get a tool through security. Leatherman already has multi-ttols designed to get through TSA with out blades on them. The price point is too high as well. $150 can get you way better tools.

I received a nice Tag Heuer watch a few years for a 10 year service award at the company I was at. It's nice - but I've only worn it maybe 10 times in the last 8 years? I should probably sell it...
So, I'm not excited about smart watches at all. The tech is kind of limp and I don't want to look like a dork using tech just because it's there.

I'll give ya tree fiddy.

I wonder how many the TSA will steal when people try to wear these on planes.

$500-$600 for a quartz watch? I love you leatherrman but you are drunk, go home

Back