Internet Attack Could Shut Down US Gas Stations

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Internet of Things: The next big happening in our lives is forming around us almost without notice. Along with the opportunities it will present, it will also bring the possibility of being manipulated by those who would do us harm. One such security weakness is the automated tank gauges in almost 5300 gas stations across the country that are vulnerable to remote attacks.

The vulnerability of the gauges used to monitor gasoline tanks is the latest security issue plaguing consumer and industrial devices that are increasingly being connected to the Internet. Often called the Internet of Things, connecting such technology to the wider Internet poses security risks because many of the devices were created without much thought to security.

That's why you don't want your fridge or thermostat connected to the internet.

It it like they are connecting oddball things to the internet on purpose so in the end a call to action in the name of security can happen...

25 years ago when I lived in Iceland, you could actually feed cash into the gas pump.
They didn't have 24 hour attendants at gas stations so this was a convenience if you needed gas later in the evening.
This has nothing to do with the topic.

The Internet of Things: The next big happening in our lives is forming around us almost without notice. Along with the opportunities it will present, it will also bring the possibility of being manipulated by those who would do us harm. One such security weakness is the automated tank gauges in almost 5300 gas stations across the country that are vulnerable to remote attacks.

I prefer to call the Internet of things the end of days because we are too stupid to leave our essentials disconnected FROM the Internet. Lame

This would be a good idea actually the way society runs on combustible engines is a progressives worst nightmare.

There are 160,000 to 170,000 gas stations in the US. Anyway, the article claims only around 115,000 total stations, but that does not make 5300 any less insignificant. And the attendant can always rod the tank daily and place an order should the worst happen. This is a fart in an open field on a windy day with no one else around. I suppose if you happen to be the one that has to drive an extra few blocks to get gas at an unaffected station should an attack happen, that the inconvenience would be massive.:rolleyes:

That's why you don't want your fridge or thermostat connected to the internet.

Because the terrorists will keep making me buy eggs until my fridge is full of them or because the terrorists will break into my house and hide all my jackets before they hack my thermostat? :p

Or because the NSA will know that I eat too much microwave food and they will slip the mind control drugs into my Healthy Choice entree :D ... unless they already have :eek:

I don't know how things are run in the states but here in Ontario at least while the gas station may be independently owned the tanks (and the product in them), pipes and usually the pumps are owned by the gas company whose sign is on the pole. The station does not buy the fuel until they sell the fuel. There may be the odd truly independent station who has a tanker show up at the refinery and buy a truck load but they're a dying breed. For any branded station there is too much risk for the company to blindly dump 2 to 5 thousand gallons of fuel into an unknown tank.
They typically use a cross lease the company leases the property from the owner installs the dispensing equipment and then leases it back to the owner. I would expect something similar takes place south of the border but can't say for sure.

Hell, during a storm they already have to revert to "Cash Only" status.

It it like they are connecting oddball things to the internet on purpose so in the end a call to action in the name of security can happen...

Anything that requires servicing/managing deserves to be accessed remotely.

Back