Microsoft Unveils Project Spartan, the Browser After Internet Explorer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft stole the spotlight this week with its Windows 10 gathering and the multitude of new rollouts that Microsoft is developing. Spartan, the new browser made for Windows 10, is beginning to unfold right in front of us showing off the new and innovative changes in store with the totally new browser concept.

sh4SG+

Microsoft is very behind. I know they're trying to keep everyone in the Windows ecosystem but a new web browser isn't going to do it. They just added crap to IE.

Why I won't switch from Firefox or Chrome.

#1 They're on EVERYTHING. On my Android phone I can install Firefox and Chrome. Linux, Mac OS X, and everything in between. Chromium if you can't get Chrome.

#2 Plugins. Chrome is still weak at this, and is Firefox's strength, but where's the plugins? I don't care about Cortana, I want plugins.

#3 How's the speed? Not like speed is an issue with any web browser but there should be a massive speed increase with Spartan. BTW, the developers are sucking on the Halo tit a little too much.

What if I told you that you that Spartan supports Chrome extensions and Firefox plug-ins.

"Cortana will show up at the right opportune moment to help you get things done"

word_suicide_template.gif

Microsoft is very behind. I know they're trying to keep everyone in the Windows ecosystem but a new web browser isn't going to do it. They just added crap to IE.

Why I won't switch from Firefox or Chrome.

#1 They're on EVERYTHING. On my Android phone I can install Firefox and Chrome. Linux, Mac OS X, and everything in between. Chromium if you can't get Chrome.

#2 Plugins. Chrome is still weak at this, and is Firefox's strength, but where's the plugins? I don't care about Cortana, I want plugins.

#3 How's the speed? Not like speed is an issue with any web browser but there should be a massive speed increase with Spartan. BTW, the developers are sucking on the Halo tit a little too much.
Plug-ins the joy of messing up your browser into a security hole, unstable ridden pos! Seriously this is the only reason why i liked Opera 12 before it became a Chrome clone, the UI was completely up to you to design how you wanted and it supported just about every reasonable thing that most other browser would leave as a plug-in.

The only thing IE11 needed was an update UI to better minimize its impact on vertical space and session saving.

I'm perfectly OK with Microsoft developing a new browser simply because it's stock on Windows - many never venture out.

Here's features I think it absolutely needs:
- Standards Compliance, no prefixed (ie' Firefox, Safari, etc) CSS codes. Just pure, defined, standards.

- Flash built in (like chrome), silverlight built in.

- Sync to devices

- Available to be installed on ANY Windows OS. Don't fragment this again.

- Auto updating (goes without saying)

- Plugins

Does this mean "Spartan" like "no ads" or no huge space sucking design features? Just simple space waiting to be filled with my proscribed information?

I don't understand why people say IE doesn't have plugins, they have addons, I use them. What is the big difference you guys think is so amazing? If you want to complain maybe its that IE doesn't have as much development for these? I don't know.....

The biggest issue to me with all browsers is good ad blockers. IE is ahead of chrome or FF in spell check and auto complete. IE is behind in rendering web pages and stability when some we dev decides he doesn't like IE. But all these are give and take. Most people just don't see the need for plugins, its a web browser what's so important? And chrome is getting ridiculously creepy.

I'm perfectly OK with Microsoft developing a new browser simply because it's stock on Windows - many never venture out.

Here's features I think it absolutely needs:
- Standards Compliance, no prefixed (ie' Firefox, Safari, etc) CSS codes. Just pure, defined, standards.

- Flash built in (like chrome), silverlight built in.

- Sync to devices

- Available to be installed on ANY Windows OS. Don't fragment this again.

- Auto updating (goes without saying)

- Plugins

They have been working more toward #1 there with every release.

flash is built in, they made that change with windows 8

I could see it being on 8 and 10, doubt you will see it on 7. Different OSs are going to have different features possible so it isn't possible to just take code and compile it to work on all versions of an OS. you have to customize some stuff or remove features to make it work on the most restrictive version. So you are going to have them always ignore older versions when making stuff after a certain point because it isn't worth the time to make multiple versions. Especially in a case like this where you can get the next version for free. If you want to use the newest features, you get the newest OS.

windows update takes care of that so that isn't an issue and haven't been for a very long time

there are or I guess I should say were plugin. The stupid tool bars that everyone likes to release, and then you have extensions an accelerators. Metro version of IE removed plugins. Will be interesting to which way this goes.

Does this mean "Spartan" like "no ads" or no huge space sucking design features? Just simple space waiting to be filled with my proscribed information?

It mean Spartan like the person in a space suit

halo-4-square-542x542-5f6a1dbe533c498da85ab81c94b5b09d.jpg

I don't understand why people say IE doesn't have plugins, they have addons, I use them. What is the big difference you guys think is so amazing? If you want to complain maybe its that IE doesn't have as much development for these? I don't know.....

The biggest issue to me with all browsers is good ad blockers. IE is ahead of chrome or FF in spell check and auto complete. IE is behind in rendering web pages and stability when some we dev decides he doesn't like IE. But all these are give and take. Most people just don't see the need for plugins, its a web browser what's so important? And chrome is getting ridiculously creepy.

Agreed, there are add-ons. don't think people understand that add-ons and plug-ins are the same. or just look at my tool isn't there so that means it isn't possible. forget the fact that flash, adobe reader, quicktime, java and many other programs modify IE to give it new functionality.

It means spartan like bringing the stripped down mobile versions of websites to the desktop. Cause it's all mobile now. Mobile and ball bearings.

Back