4chan Founder 'Moot' Bids Farewell: 'This is Goodbye'

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
To have had so much impact on the Internet, Christopher Poole still looks like a kid that is way too young to be retiring. Better known as Moot, Poole is the founder of the website 4chan and is retiring after an 11 and a half year run as the head of the controversial site. He bid farewell to his fans and followers on a live YouTube broadcast to 40K viewers.

Poole founded the site 11 and a half years ago, when he was 15. It quickly grew into one of the internet’s most influential – and chaotic – communities, spawning memes and jokes that spread far and wide.

Last edited:
Talking about walking out on an overflowing clogged toilet...

so a billion page views (presumably a small number of people hitting f5 constantly), but only 40k people actually wanted to hear him say goodbye?

I'm curious if he made any money from the whole thing, did he sell off the domain? the servers?

A lot of memes came from 4chan. It was probably the most creative place on the internet.

I just have no words. It was and still is the largest pre pubescent troll cess pool on the Internet I would not call copy pasted memes made in MS paint creative art.

What impact did 4chan have on the Internet.
Just about every major internet meme you can think of originally came from 4chan, as there are a lot of really creative minds, and I too really enjoyed working in photoshop and participating in innocent but funny "raids" (nothing like today, we're just talking shoe on head shenanigans).

It wasn't until rather recently that it became too mainstream and was infected by the cancer (young trolls trying to be edgy and shitposting ad nauseum).

Moot made himself too important and started trying to control the forum and really was doing more harm than good especially when he got all butthurt over the cuckold thing, and its a good thing he's stepping away. And you won't see anything change, because he already handed over the reigns ages ago.

The reason only 40K people cared to see what he said is cause almost everyone has gone to 8chan, 4chan's blatantly corrupt mods over the last 2-3 years drove everyone nuts

Isn't the whole chan thing some Japanese shit, anyway? And 4chan was simply the first white one?

japanese one is called 2chan I think, someone told me its worse than 4chan and my mind was blown

We only know what is known but I never new about 4chan AND I am pleased that I did not know what was already known AND it will take a while to get my mind right now that I know about 4chan.

Never been to 4chan really, maybe once or twice. I have no idea how the site works... it looks like a huge mishmash of crap clumped together.

As for someone wondering if Moot, made money. I heard he made 900k for the time it's up. No sources, of course, so I have no idea if that's real or not. I also heard he was offered money at one point for the site. No idea if that is real either.

I'm surprised people gave a shit about this farewell thing. I didn't even know his name, if not for the Gamergate thing. Ah well, from whoa I've heard, it's not even a permanent thing.

See you, space cowboy, the great cuckolder.
Why to declare /a/ as best board.

I can't wait until people stop posting about this stupid crap so my yearly 4chan intake goes back down to zero.

The reason only 40K people cared to see what he said is cause almost everyone has gone to 8chan, 4chan's blatantly corrupt mods over the last 2-3 years drove everyone nuts

oldfag here. when moot started censoring the shit outta 4chan due to celebrity leaks and gamergate i pretty much stopped checking there. there is absolutely nothing interesting going on there anymore, especially on /v/ which used to have such a fast turnover you could barely keep up. now i understand why he wanted 4chan to become politically correct and nice. he wanted to clean it up to retire and sell that site as soon as someone shows up and drops a load of money.

oh, and: the game... you just lost it. :D

That's the thing... I don't think he'll get much from it even if he tries to sell now. It's like a shadow of it's former self right? I think 8 chan basically took their userbase.

oldfag here. when moot started censoring the shit outta 4chan due to celebrity leaks and gamergate i pretty much stopped checking there.
From what I heard, that's when finally the last of the old guard mods were let go in the IRC chat where they were instructed to follow "the purge" of anything anti-SJW and most said that was BS. And now those new mods are running the site by themselves. Completely defeats the entire purpose of 4chan, an anonymous open outlet for the internet to speak their minds, where moderation SHOULD have only been directed at illegal activity and shitposting. Oh well, it was a good idea while it lasted, but nothing is foreva'.

moot did a final Q&A for 8 hours straight. It seemed that 4chan wasn't very profitable and was always "one lawsuit away from being shut down." It's pretty surprising how little actual profit such a big site made. He seems like a pretty cool guy based on what I heard in the Q&A.

I do not think I have ever even looked into 4chan or their website at all. Nothing to miss from what I have heard about them.

I do not think I have ever even looked into 4chan or their website at all. Nothing to miss from what I have heard about them.
The whole cat craze on the internet with lolcats, Icanhazcheezburger, caturday, longcat and tacgnol, keyboard cat, and tracking down and bringing a cat abuser and later a puppy abuser to justice, etc is all 4chan.

Shenanigans like Pedobear and chocolate rain and rickrolling and hacking votes hilariously (like sending celebrities to a small town in Alaska by making them win the competition or having Taylor Swift sing at a school for the deaf as the school that got the most votes or making moot Time's man of the year), convinced many feminists to start the "free-bleeding" movement, to Habbo Hotel closin' da' pools, to the hacking of Sarah Palin's email, or even the stock plunge of Apple by creating a hoax of Steve Job's death and showcasing the lack of fact checking in the media (or more recently the iOS Wave hoax convincing Apple tards to charge their phones in the microwave), to making the swastika the top trending search on google, to the Fappening, got oprah to say "OVER 9000 PENISES!", and /v/ absolutely destroying Reddit in Tribes, all 4chan.

Or heartwarming things like remember Zach the wheelchair bound comedian? 4chan is who made him famous on the internet and ended up on Oprah. Or that old guy who posted that super lonely "friends wanted for birthday" in an old folks home who was all alone, so spread awareness and peeps in the area threw him an awesome party and others sent presents and well-wishing cards.

Love em or hate em, Anonymous has made for a lot of lulz over the years... remember the contest winning Mt Dew flavors HAHAHAHAH! Gushing granny... *whew*

Back