Journalist Sentenced To 5 Years For Linking Hacked Material

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember that Barrett Brown guy that, among other things, threatened an FBI agent online and claimed to be the head of Anonymous? A judge just sentenced him to over five years in prison and a $890,000 fine for linking hacked material.

In a rebuke to a legion of online supporters and what the journalist and one-time member of Anonymous called a “dangerous precedent”, Barrett Brown was sentenced to 63 months in prison by a federal judge in Dallas on Thursday.

Sounds like a police state tactic. They're treating him as if he did the hacking when he just linked to something illegal. Whatever, this government is fucked.

Sounds like a police state tactic. They're treating him as if he did the hacking when he just linked to something illegal. Whatever, this government is fucked.

Yeah, that's absolutely correct as long as you ignore threatening an FBI agent....on Youtube.

Yeah, that's absolutely correct as long as you ignore threatening an FBI agent....on Youtube.
What crime is it when you threaten somebody (or an FBI agent)?

They're charging him as an accessory to the hack when he wasn't.

They are trying to make and example out of him, which is a perversion of justice. I don't know the facts of the actual court case but I bet he was railroaded, hard.

What crime is it when you threaten somebody (or an FBI agent)?

They're charging him as an accessory to the hack when he wasn't.

Actually, from the story linked he agree to a plea bargain which dropped the more serious charges and only left this one in place, and as if often the case in situations like this the penalty given for it exceeds what the charge itself would normally result in.

Actually, from the story linked he agree to a plea bargain which dropped the more serious charges and only left this one in place, and as if often the case in situations like this the penalty given for it exceeds what the charge itself would normally result in.
So they fucked him over still. They charged him with stuff he didn't do just to trump the charges he did do.

Slightly off topic: I've had someone legitimately threaten my life in a very heated confrontation, said he'd end my life, and I had witnesses. He came to my house and said that. I called the cops and the cop wouldn't do shit about it, he told me it wasn't a crime, lying sack of shit.

Good! We don't need people like him around and he can be an example for other yucky people to maybe discourage them from doing something dumb too.

No, they're not - they sentenced the actual hacker to 10 years, the maximum sentence for his crime - but they tried to sentence this guy to the tune of 25 to life. The plea-bargained him down to 63 months, but that wasn't originally what they were going for.

Back