Bethesda: The Elder Scrolls Online Ditching Subscription Fees

HardOCP News

[H] News
We are pleased to announce that The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited players will no longer be required to pay a monthly game subscription for extended play. Players will make a one-time purchase of the game and can then enjoy hundreds of hours of content without the requirement of a monthly game subscription fee when The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited becomes available on console in June and beginning March 17 for PC/Mac players. To celebrate the announcement, we've released The Confrontation, the final chapter in our thrilling series of cinematic trailers. Watch the stunning conclusion and get ready for Tamriel Unlimited!

This is the announcement they should be making... :D

Players [Strike=]will[/s] can make a one-time purchase of the game and can then enjoy hundreds of hours of content without the requirement of a monthly game subscription fee when they buy Elder Scrolls VI

Oh how the mighty have fallen. *Looks at wow sub numbers* Nope not going anywhere.

well this sucks - After swearing up and down they were not going F2P...they go F2P.

Glad I bought the imperial edition and paid for my sub for 9 months....Here Zenimax here is 245 dollars to beta test..

This game will be dead by summer.

I am deeply saddened they wasted all this time and effort on MMOclone#9857 instead of just making the next awesome Elder Scrolls single player game, and maybe putting some co-op in it.

well this sucks - After swearing up and down they were not going F2P...they go F2P.

Glad I bought the imperial edition and paid for my sub for 9 months....Here Zenimax here is 245 dollars to beta test..

4fbca2969a41970d449be49ca502b2dc911b40f872610ee51f42abe71f3c4ca4.jpg

The second most famous is never preorder and drop a lifetime or long-term subscription on an MMO, ever.

I played betas but it was pretty much what I expected and IMO it wasn't even worth playing for free. TES should have stayed a single player game.

I have been actually waiting for this to happen, wanted to play it but did not want to do the whole monthly sub deal.

They have some really great content - Trials are fun as is the pvp. The content can be ridiculously hard and then VET mode makes it that much harder. The best gear is in the trials and undaunted but I HATE they make the best stuff bind on pickup. My caster does not need a sword of two fanged snake..I need wise mages gear and of 6 trials got one drop....seriously....

Can't believe it went f2p so fast...but I figured it would..no one on a console wants to pay 15 a month to play a game. This is swtor all over again...cartel coins anyone?

Can't believe it went f2p so fast...but I figured it would..no one on a console wants to pay 15 a month to play a game.

Crazy to think that people would pay a monthly sub to be able to connect their console to an online service so they could game with each other, oh wait, people do.

I am deeply saddened they wasted all this time and effort on MMOclone#9857 instead of just making the next awesome Elder Scrolls single player game, and maybe putting some co-op in it.

I understand where you're coming from but Zenimax developed this game, not Bethesda. (whose developers were working on the successor to Skyrim)

Crazy to think that people would pay a monthly sub to be able to connect their console to an online service so they could game with each other, oh wait, people do.

right but I didn't think people would pay extra -- when there is live and psn...and most console games go the dlc model

Still not interested. Wake me when they finish the sequel to Skyrim.

Oh I knew this was gonna happen long ago.

I joked there would be an item shop where you'd have to buy 400, 800 and 1200 Septims for in-game items that cost 450, 850 and 1250 Septims.

Not paying a dime for this MMO. I will wait til it's F2P. I support in-game buying as long as I do not have to pay to play it like RIFT or Star Trek Online.

no nude mods right? dont see why they ever thought folks would pay monthly fees for this... the standalone games are ok but what makes them keep selling is the player mods that extend the game beyond what it was.

And this is why people have been saying for months/years...

STOP PRE-ORDERING.

I'm not against the idea of paying a monthly fee for an MMO. Hell, for $15 a month if I can get more entertainment time out of it than watching a movie at $12 a ticket for a regular normal non-3d showing, great. I played WoW for years, quit when I got bored with it. But under no circumstance would I have paid Blizzard months in advance. And "special" editions? That's generally worse than simply pre-ordering, because you're paying even more money for the same content with a little bonus that isn't worth a crap in-game, and maybe some physical trinkets(if you bought the actual box) that cost pennies to make in china that no one will care about months later(including you the owner).

Well it's not F2P now, but yeah, your assessment of the costly beta testing is accurate I'm afraid. I don't think it Elder Scrolls Online, but I remember one MMO developer talking about how they had every intention of removing subscription fees at a later date, it's just a tactic now to milk more money out of the initial wave of subscribers.

I beta tested this game and decided early on that it wasn't going to fare well. I love the single player versions, and I thought Skyrim was (and is) a fantastic game, but this......

You can wrap a turd in pretty paper, but when you open it.....it's still just a turd.

I beta tested this game and decided early on that it wasn't going to fare well. I love the single player versions, and I thought Skyrim was (and is) a fantastic game, but this......

You can wrap a turd in pretty paper, but when you open it.....it's still just a turd.

With peanuts.

STOP PRE-ORDERING.

And "special" editions? That's generally worse than simply pre-ordering, because you're paying even more money for the same content with a little bonus that isn't worth a crap in-game, and maybe some physical trinkets(if you bought the actual box) that cost pennies to make in china that no one will care about months later(including you the owner).

Holy crap, someone that I agree with.

I am sure to piss some people off but in my opinion: pre-orders and special editions and all that BULLSHIT are a TAX on the naive and those who lack self control.

I remember the good days when you signed up to beta test a game for FREE and actually enjoyed finding bugs to help the game grow and be awesomesauce when released.

Now people are so suckered into being "cool" they are willing to literally give their money away to vaporware (90% of the time)

It's like paying Walmart to put a sandwich on layaway in March in order to ensure you have Thanksgiving dinner...

And this is why people have been saying for months/years...

STOP PRE-ORDERING.

Amen to that, look at GTA V pre order for some for some virtual coin. really? How about a guarantee that the game will run on my system without issues with all the bells and whistles turned on, i mean, if you're going to ask me to pre-pay for a game, that is already 2 years late on PC, the least you could do is optimize my pre-paid version to run perfectly on my machine.

My son is a sucker for pre-order... or was, now he has finally sold his xbox and joined the big boys. :)

People said they wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO. They didn't. They want skyrim but bigger and with a lot of players.

I enjoyed the beta but IMHO the game doesn't do a great job of catering to ES fans or Hardcore mmo players. So the end result is "Meh." from both sides.

To me this game is a big case of listening to what players say they want and not actually figuring out what players want.

Back