Facebook Now Allows You To Report Fake News

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook better be careful removing fake news stories, they account for damn near everything I see in my news feed.

Today, Facebook has added the ability to flag a news story as a hoax. When you see something that is obviously not real like a made-up celebrity death or fake startup, you can choose to report posts as a “false news story.”

The type of trending news stories that I see on a regular basis in Facebook's right column indicates that humanity is on a particularly steady decline.

What will all the people I have on ignore repost now?

But seriously FB won't beat this out, everyone still believes the first thing they see on FB, I still have friends who think Morgan Freeman is dead and that if they like a picture then repost it they will get a chance at 5 million dollars. I mean seriously who falls for that crap?

Zarathustra[H];1041373337 said:
I hope The Onion gets an exemption :p

I was going to post this. I can't count how many times I have seen friends post shit from the Onion and thinking it is actual news/journalism. Blows my mind.

I have had to make myself stop correcting the tards that constantly post fake news because they dont ever learn. No matter how many times you show them their news story is fake they just keep posting them!

Same with MSNBCNNABCBS. All the MSM is crap.

Main stream media can be a little lame, but the other big names are probably 99% factual.

Fox News on the other hand is mostly made up propaganda for the far right.

It's kind of funny that the best place for low-bias (everything involving humans has bias) in depth factual reporting in America is... the BBC....

Followed closely by NPR

Fox News is going to be obliterated!

What else does a couch potato on the dole have to do with their time

Actually, as someone above mentioned, it's MSNBCNNABCBS that will be getting deleted :p. And you have it backwards, anyway... leftist couch potatoes on the dole sit around watching the liberal media like Clinton News Network :p.

Zarathustra[H];1041374269 said:
Fox News media can be a little lame, but it's probably 99% factual.

Fixed that for you. The others are pretty much leftist propaganda 24/7, minus a few minutes for ads :eek: .

LOL you foxbots are hilarious. Nobody thinks MSNBC is anything but political opinion all day, and they don't pretend to be anything else. They don't call themselves News or Fair and Balanced.

FOX on the other hand . . . Talk about denial. FOX viewers are less informed than people who don't watch any news at all.

Actually, as someone above mentioned, it's MSNBCNNABCBS that will be getting deleted :p. And you have it backwards, anyway... leftist couch potatoes on the dole sit around watching the liberal media like Clinton News Network :p.

Its wasn't about viewership its about internet scoring.

LOL you foxbots are hilarious. Nobody thinks MSNBC is anything but political opinion all day, and they don't pretend to be anything else. They don't call themselves News or Fair and Balanced.

FOX on the other hand . . . Talk about denial. FOX viewers are less informed than people who don't watch any news at all.

Bwahahahaha, that's hilarious... MSNBC is liberal propaganda, shamelessly, 24/7, selectively omitting most anything negative toward anyone in the left and providing no air time to counter points either. Fox gives even the whack-jobs plenty of time to speak and generally at least mentions everything, even if it runs counter to their spin.

Talk about denial. FOX viewers are less informed than people who don't watch any news at all.

According to who? A slanted survey held by the Obama administration with two answers, one of which is "I have no idea" and the other saying "I prefer not to answer."? :p

Right... MSNBC/CNN are the ones that puts on the 'airs' of news all day. Takes about 20s for someone to realize when FoxNews has a Pundit editorializing. FFS the shows are usually named after the person. The other almost alway name their spots something impersonal to help build the illusion of impartiality when they are editorializing like crazy.

You're so I'll informed you haven't even been informed about how ill informed you are.

Now you're arguing with your own team. I guess they don't teach reading on FOX News either.

Fixed that for you. The others are pretty much leftist propaganda 24/7, minus a few minutes for ads :eek: .

Ahh, the good old myth of the liberal media...

You do know that there is no fact to it at all, right? It was made up by conservative groups in the 90's to try to create the illusion that the "poor conservatives" were being marginalized when nothing of the sort ever happened.

They even admitted to it on tape, astounded that it actually worked.

In reality, most of the big media has very little political bias. They do very poor reporting mostly spamming headlines, but that poor reporting isn't really biased much to one side or the other. They don't even go into depth enough in most of their stories to reveal any bias if it had been there.

The likes of Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg have a slight conservative slant.

The Washington Post used to be liberal in the 70s, but these days it comes across as being rather conservative.

The New York Times has a very slight liberal slant, as does NPR sometimes (but they bend themselves over backwards to try to be neutral, but every now and then something does slip through)

Fox news on the other hand is way off the deep end in far out right territory, and there is nothing even close to match it on the left. (MSNBC tries as hard as they can, but they just haven't mastered the political spin and fabrication game as well as Fox has)

It's not a matter off opinion. The bull that Fox spews on their "news" shows is verifiably incorrect most of the time.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, and I fully support this. people don't - however- have a right to their own set of fabricated "facts"...

Zarathustra[H];1041374356 said:
Ahh, the good old myth of the liberal media...

You do know that there is no fact to it at all, right? It was made up by conservative groups in the 90's to try to create the illusion that the "poor conservatives" were being marginalized when nothing of the sort ever happened.

They even admitted to it on tape, astounded that it actually worked.

In reality, most of the big media has very little political bias. They do very poor reporting mostly spamming headlines, but that poor reporting isn't really biased much to one side or the other. They don't even go into depth enough in most of their stories to reveal any bias if it had been there.

The likes of Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg have a slight conservative slant.

The Washington Post used to be liberal in the 70s, but these days it comes across as being rather conservative.

The New York Times has a very slight liberal slant, as does NPR sometimes (but they bend themselves over backwards to try to be neutral, but every now and then something does slip through)

Fox news on the other hand is way off the deep end in far out right territory, and there is nothing even close to match it on the left. (MSNBC tries as hard as they can, but they just haven't mastered the political spin and fabrication game as well as Fox has)

It's not a matter off opinion. The bull that Fox spews on their "news" shows is verifiably incorrect most of the time.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, and I fully support this. people don't - however- have a right to their own set of fabricated "facts"...

The REAL state of the U.S, media landscape.

6298788288_e39d19bdc9_b.jpg

The supposed "Liberal media Bias" is just as much of a fabrication as most of the supposed "news" on Fox.

Sure, some of the mainstream publications have very slight liberal slants, but the difference is that they are news organizations that see the world through a certain lens (everyone sees the worlds through the lens of their own experiences).

Fox on the other hand, is a organization created for the express purpose to misinform. Their goal is not news, but rather to intentionally push the same side of the issue over and over again using information they themselves KNOW to be untrue.

It's funny how their own employees took Fox to court (and it went all the way to an appeals court) for being forced to lie on the behalf of Fox on TV, and the Florida Appeals court upheld their right to factually misrepresent information in the name of free speech.

They are not playing the same game at all. Fox News is a propaganda organization making shit up and saying whatever it wants, including verifiably false shit (like the whole Death Panels argument, and the harping on Obama's birth certificate, to mention the first two to come to mind). They do anything and everything, including complete fabrication to rally up the conservative troops.

MSNBC saw this model, and tried to copy it on the left, but they go nowhere near as far. In part because the left is more well read, I guess, and they can't get away with it.

The rest of the news landscape is actually trying to report news.

Well, not so much made up as very carefully and selectively reported facts to support their agenda. It's all pretty genius if you can look past the evil in it.

It's kind of funny that the best place for low-bias (everything involving humans has bias) in depth factual reporting in America is... the BBC....

Followed closely by NPR

Don't forget Al Jazerra.

Main stream media can be a little lame, but the other big names are probably 99% factual.

Followed closely by NPR

I concur on the point about the BBC. NPR's news segments are also very neutral, but a lot of their opinion segments do slant left, sometimes in the extreme. Fox goes the opposite way, but even their actual news segments are typically neutral. The problem for Fox is that 99% of their programming is devoted to opinion, but they keep touting the word news in their name.

The biggest problem that I observe is that too many people lack the ability to analyze the facts of a situation for themselves, therefore they wait for a talking head to spout some nonsensical opinion, which they then proceed to regurgitate ad nauseam, especially via social media outlets like Facebook.

Sean Hannity is probably the biggest offender in terms of claiming to provide an unbiased account and/or falsely claiming that he is reporting all of the facts. He also enjoys bullying anyone representing an opposing viewpoint and will frequently talk over his "guests" when they are making a relevant point that he disagrees with. In fact, if it wasn't for Sean, Fox News would probably move significantly toward the center of your diagram.

Since I'm commenting on a thread about a new Facebook feature, I feel compelled to at least make some remark about said new feature. I hope this new feature enables Facebook, via its users, to cut down on some of the clickbait nonsense that seems to overflow most people's walls. It is kind of ridiculous that it has gotten to the point that it has before something significant was done about it. Even if your cousin's sister's grandmother made $10,000.00 last month working from home and some desperate journalist was forced to write a mini-biography article about it, I wouldn't want to read it anyway...

The biggest problem that I observe is that too many people lack the ability to analyze the facts of a situation for themselves...

But short of spending a significant amount of time personally investigating any particular subject in order to find said facts (court rulings, text of legislation (have you read all 900+ pages of the Affordable Care Act?) police reports, autopsy reports, watching hours of C-SPAN, etc.) how does one "analyze the facts of a situation" in a reasonable timeframe? People who actually have lives rely on news outlets to get "the facts" in bite-sized chunks.

But short of spending a significant amount of time personally investigating any particular subject in order to find said facts (court rulings, text of legislation (have you read all 900+ pages of the Affordable Care Act?) police reports, autopsy reports, watching hours of C-SPAN, etc.) how does one "analyze the facts of a situation" in a reasonable timeframe? People who actually have lives rely on news outlets to get "the facts" in bite-sized chunks.

But... I didn't say that :p

(I agree with it though)

Zarathustra[H];1041374478 said:
But... I didn't say that :p

(I agree with it though)

Huh, weird, no idea how your name got in there.

You guys are ridiculous. All the news sites are garbage, just different versions working for the same masters.

Back