Monitors U3014 dead via PC shortage?

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
I came back today to finding someone had thrown water into my system. It's fried.

However out of my 4 u3014 monitors only one will turn on when plugged in. Is it possible that it would short via the dvi/hdmi/display port if GPU/system shorted? They are plugged into my APC Unit.
Appreciate any advice.

System Before:
http://imgur.com/a/j4rt4

Now with damage:
http://imgur.com/a/GOaoS

EDIT: Sidenote, I'm open to suggestions on a good replacement if I cant get all 4 working.

Over a year ago, I was the guinea pig on these, with NCX's help(he didnt want me to get these which had great reasons but his help was the best thing I ever had). For me the main selling was point was breaking 30". I started with 1 then 2 then 3 and finally 4. Everything he mentioned in terms of ghosting / side angles was true. But as you can see from above I really fell in love with the setup. A new Dell U3014 costs 4500-6 Grand.
If I were to change, I could settle for 3 but I like 4/5 since it works well for movies. Or if I could find one massive 50/60" (thats not happening ). Regardless I'd like something better. The ROG is nice but for portrait and angles + less than 28" I am not sure it would be the right choice also with the 144hz Gsync issues.

Come March I had planned to go Titan 2

Last edited:
o.0

That's a shitty way to start your day!

It's certainly possible they went when the system did - did you have the USB hubs connected as well?

Uh, i'd be figuring out who did it and taking them to small claims court. Either someone broke into your residence or it was someone you live with, the latter of which should be easy to narrow down.

I came back today to finding someone had thrown water into my system. It's fried.

However out of my 4 u3014 monitors only one will turn on when plugged in. Is it possible that it would short via the dvi/hdmi/display port if GPU/system shorted? They are plugged into my APC Unit.
Appreciate any advice.

/methinks you broke up with someone and did it wrong.

At least, that's what happened to the guy in the apartment above mine a few years ago...

Only she went a few steps further by stuffing towels into all the drains and turning on the water, then leaving...

I found out when it started raining inside my apartment and the ceiling fell down in all rooms...

Actually notarat, Ironically it dealt with twins, introducing them to my roommate. They were with other men and guess when my flatmate left to his room one of the girls and her new 'bf' went to town on my system. Who knows though maybe the flatmate was involved. He said he'd replace everything, but who knows I came back and he was inebriated. Never have had to deal with this.

I do have renters insurance but how do you make a claim for this? The Monitors we're in the USB hub, do you think K it shorted out this way is there a way to Fix it? The APC Unit seems untouched but the monitors we're all attached to the GPU and water seems to have hit the back port areas.

Any recs to fix it other than wait a while before connecting?

Actually notarat, Ironically it dealt with twins, introducing them to my roommate. They were with other men and guess when my flatmate left to his room one of the girls and her new 'bf' went to town on my system. Who knows though maybe the flatmate was involved. He said he'd replace everything, but who knows I came back and he was inebriated. Never have had to deal with this.

I do have renters insurance but how do you make a claim for this? The Monitors we're in the USB hub, do you think K it shorted out this way is there a way to Fix it? The APC Unit seems untouched but the monitors we're all attached to the GPU and water seems to have hit the back port areas.

Any recs to fix it other than wait a while before connecting?

This doesn't make any sense. You introduce people to your roommate, then these people trash your stuff? If drinks were involved, sounds like someone tried to use your room for the ole' hanky-panky during a get together and knocked a drink over then left so they wouldn't be blamed. Your buddy should pay for your stuff. If he doesn't I would literally take all of his stuff and put it outside. I just hope your roommate understands how much your stuff costs.

I would wait as long as possible to turn everything on. Also if you can get some moisture absorbent material like a bowl of rice or anything like that, put that inside the case? I know they make synthetic moisture absorbents as well. Before you do anything like that, take the system apart, and used compressed air to get all the water out from underneath everything on the pcb's. Then use the aforementioned absorbents. That way you can rule out dead vs alive items.

This doesn't make any sense. You introduce people to your roommate, then these people trash your stuff? If drinks were involved, sounds like someone tried to use your room for the ole' hanky-panky during a get together and knocked a drink over then left so they wouldn't be blamed. Your buddy should pay for your stuff. If he doesn't I would literally take all of his stuff and put it outside. I just hope your roommate understands how much your stuff costs.

I would wait as long as possible to turn everything on. Also if you can get some moisture absorbent material like a bowl of rice or anything like that, put that inside the case? I know they make synthetic moisture absorbents as well. Before you do anything like that, take the system apart, and used compressed air to get all the water out from underneath everything on the pcb's. Then use the aforementioned absorbents. That way you can rule out dead vs alive items.

Hey really appreciate it.

Wasnt going to go into it but the girl hes with I intro'd him to her twin sister had a thing but was a bit nuts so hard nothing to do with her. Wed agreed she wasnt allowed over. All adults here so weird that "kid stuff" is going on. Fast Forward Friday I get my laptop back see photos:
[URL="http://imgur.com/a/GOaoS"]http://imgur.com/a/GOaoS
[/URL]

Its full of viruses slow as can be. I say something to him he takes $600 says buy a new one.

Sunday get a msg asking what I bought I didnt respond came home to that. Seems he had the the "twins" over and now they just obliterated it and went to town. figure you are right on all aspects..

Back to this: If the monitors were shorted by the water via the USB hub what can I do. The dells cost $6 grand all together.

Thanks for the input means a lot

P.S. He did say he would pay for everything. So far I have WD sending me 3 4 TB to replace the 3 Red 3TB
Seagate is sending me a brand new drive to replace under warranty (seems people are being nice to me today)
EVGA is sending a new PSU / Titan

The monitors are probably toast. Set them somewhere seriously dry - as low humidity as you can get it - and get some airflow, and wait. If they got wet, it's possible water in there is still shorting something out and preventing it from powering up. In that case, drying them might resuscitate them (although if there are stains on the panels from water, there's nothing you can really do to fix it). If they didn't get wet, and were shorted out by some electrical surge, from the USB hub or something else... you might be able to call Dell about getting replacements.

Spoke to sell for 3 hrs from lats night until today. Wonder if honesty was the bad policy. Told them there were no water stains on the Monitpr but water had gotten into my system. They refused it under any warranty. I am thinking I'll keep them off until Friday and see what happens. Otherwise if my roommate will seriously put up and pay for damages I can get the same or something different. Thoughts? I really loved these dell 30" monitors to.

I would say you just have to look into recoup cost. So sorry to hear about all of this. At least everyone is being adult about the entire thing. Also that rice trick I know works on wet electronics. Best of luck with the rest!

so, what exactly happened? Was there malicious intent? Those monitors look like they cost over a grand each. And three of them are toast?

so, what exactly happened? Was there malicious intent? Those monitors look like they cost over a grand each. And three of them are toast?
EDIT: Made a note at the top of the page with my thoughts on replacements.
Yeah they retail for $1,500 each I got them on a good sale for $899 a year ago. Was something I have always wanted. NCX is not much of a fan due to the ghosting but I got used to the bezels and angles fairly fast. So far I have one that works I know of since it was not connected to the port. But if I have to buy all new ones, I am not sure if I should get the same ones or go for a different.

I would say you just have to look into recoup cost. So sorry to hear about all of this. At least everyone is being adult about the entire thing. Also that rice trick I know works on wet electronics. Best of luck with the rest!
So far, but you know until cash is in your hand... So far I am doing the dry out trick, but I am debating if I should just say call it a day and buy a new system and if it works sell it and deduct the difference. Either way if the Motherboard and Xeon are still good, I would be really happy since this X58 setup is a beast of a system and rivals x79 and some x99 systems (xeon o/c to 4.67ghz). Won't know anything until the replacement PSU comes in.

That's some Judge Judy-worthy shit right there :(
Yeah it is Zinn:cool:

Last edited:
Your situation sucks......

I don't know anything about fixing monitors aside from some Korean monitors like the Qnix/X-Star PLS panels, but you should try getting the monitors replaced by Dell when you call again.

The Acer B326HK, BenQ BL3201PT and LG 31UM97 (it's wide gamut but has a lighter coating and can be hardware calibrated with an i1display pro) are fine 4K 32" upgrades.:
NCX Really appreciate the help!

The main thing is Dell said they won't replace the monitors. So my option is to cross my fingers and see if one works, or just see if the flatmate is serious and will pay the replacement costs. If so I dont think I should go for the same ones.

My main issue with 4k is that I like Surround (felt it was amazing especially for movies / games in Portrait mode). I do more video and spreadsheet work, as well as gaming. With Surround 4k I would need a LOT of oomph in Surround not even sure the upcoming Titan 2 in Tri SLi would be able to handle it.

Other than 4k are there other options? I like the idea of getting a G-sync style monitor.

So far Asus said they have a 27" 4k but with their TN panel I think thats not going to work
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/displayport-1.3-vesa,27673.html

The Philips http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm
- But it seems to lack a lot of functionality.

Just seems there is not many choices for greater than 32"

The LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W
- However, not sure this would be good for the gaming aspect and they dont have 3d or a high refresh rate.

BUT Samsung seems to be coming with a TV that does 3d and a high refresh rate:
LCD/LED panel is the UN78JU7500 Ultra HD TV
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-curved-quantum-dots-hdtvs,28309.html

Also read there is a Panasonic AX800 that can do the job. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT:

Hey guys appreciate the comments, really hoped the bdm4065uc would be my end all be all monitor. I could technically stay with just getting more 30" Dells but I think I prefer something better if I have to switch. Also looks like this can only do 4k at 30hz., could have done without the headphone jack, speakers, etc. Was really hoping... Like you said 2 of these in portrait and make that surround would be really nice (not sure you can even do that with Nviida but they did allow 4-5 last update). But then you run into the problem of your crosshair being in the middle.

Using a ruler its 66-69" diagonal without the 1" bezel
Each monitor is (w/o bezels) 29 3/4" diagonal, 15 3/4" Width and 25 1/4" Vertical .

Michael and jphughan I mainly plan to do:
Movies
Games
spreadsheets / surfing

I was really hoping this Philips would work. Even if it did I feel it would probably look really odd in Portrait mode no? is there any large screen even out there that can do it? Or are we really forced in getting 4 more screens?

This is how my current system looks:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1848399&highlight=
http://imgur.com/a/j4rt4
4 Way surround is good for RTS but bad for FPS see cross hair below

Meanwhile if you do 3 way its fine, with that being said, if 2 40" 4k screens could work without the crosshair in the middle would be amazing:

Last edited:
Back