The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC Requirements

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt release date is not that far off and CD Projekt RED has announced the minimum equipment requirements for your PC for trouble free game play. Check out the recommended specs for maximum game play experience. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be released on May 19th for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

According to the official specs, PC gamers will need at least 6GB of RAM, a DX11 GPU and 40GB of free HDD space.

no crazy 8GB VRAM requirements at least...Shadow of Mordor and Evil Within requirements were insane

40GB of HDD space. Sounds like there is a lot of content, but I wonder how compressed it is. Developers don't seem to want to compress their games these days. Far Cry 3 took about 12GB, whereas FC4 takes up 27GB. It would not have been much of a problem if SSD's weren't so expensive. Download speed/time isn't much of a concern for me, but I know it is for others.

Interesting to see that the recommended CPU is still pretty much top-end.

Anyone else find the GPU minimum and recommended requirements rather peculiar? The AMD GPUs they list are much more powerful than the NVidia counterparts.

As long as they are honest requirements and recommendations I see no problem with it.

Anyone else find the GPU minimum and recommended requirements rather peculiar? The AMD GPUs they list are much more powerful than the NVidia counterparts.

Witcher 3 is using Gameworks libraries so it will be optimized for NV hardware. It sucks to have these proprietary deals that screw one side or the other, but that's the reality of it.

Witcher 3 is using Gameworks libraries so it will be optimized for NV hardware. It sucks to have these proprietary deals that screw one side or the other, but that's the reality of it.

Yeah, this game will probably be a write-off for AMD hardware. Gamworks might also explain the huge delay if ubi$oft is any indication. Maybe a little better after a few months, but I wouldn't hold my breath. More market segmentation.

Really disappointed with these devs.

I fully expect people to be whining about how it's unoptimized the day it comes out in that a 770, while being the recommended GPU, can't run it in all it's glory. A 660 being the minimum to a 770 being the recommended isn't that much of a step up.

As long as it looks good, I don't mind, and I hear the Witcher 3 makes the Witcher 2 look like the Witcher.

Might finally retire my 670 and pick up a 970 for this one. Love this series and already preordered the new one.

no crazy 8GB VRAM requirements at least...Shadow of Mordor and Evil Within requirements were insane

Eh... SoM and Evil Within didn't *require* 6GB or 8GB. Not sure when or why "max supported" became "required"

I fully expect people to be whining about how it's unoptimized the day it comes out in that a 770, while being the recommended GPU, can't run it in all it's glory. A 660 being the minimum to a 770 being the recommended isn't that much of a step up.

Let's face it, even if it ran fine on a 8800GTX circa 2007, people would find a reason to bitch.

Let's face it, even if it ran fine on a 8800GTX circa 2007, people would find a reason to bitch.

It's a no-win. Optimized as hell so that the 8800GTX can run it on semi-decent settings? "Dev's aren't pushing PC gaming!!!" Graphical monster that brings the latest generation to its knees (remember when people thought that playing Doom 3 at 1280x1024 at high settings was good?)? "Un-optimized piece of shit!"

well that drives the last nail into the coffin of my current rig. e8400, 4gb ram, ati 6850. it just flat out won't run lol. and that's the point i upgrade.

At first that's what I thought. However, from the Far Cry 4 Performance article, it feels like it should be the reverse.

It's a no-win. Optimized as hell so that the 8800GTX can run it on semi-decent settings? "Dev's aren't pushing PC gaming!!!" Graphical monster that brings the latest generation to its knees (remember when people thought that playing Doom 3 at 1280x1024 at high settings was good?)? "Un-optimized piece of shit!"

Yup. Hell people bitched about Witcher 2 even though a high end machine could run it just fine if you disabled the super sampling.

The day before this game launches is the day I add a second GTX 970 for SLI.

The 8gb vram is horseshit. Unless you are 4k gaming that is. But in 1080p the game takes about 3-4gb on ultra.

Yup. Hell people bitched about Witcher 2 even though a high end machine could run it just fine if you disabled the super sampling.

This. Even my GTX 570 died when you turned on Ubersampling.

it is the cpu more surpising... a phenom ii x4 940 is far weaker than the 2500k.
The power isn't the problem. New games are being made to need at least four cores so that they run well on the PS4 or Xbox One. An older i5 or i3 would only have two cores, so the game won't work well. Really it is just bad optimization, but for the most part one that doesn't matter because most PC gamers have a chip with four full cores in their rigs.

If you don't, it is time to invest the $150 and get a new chip.

The power isn't the problem. New games are being made to need at least four cores so that they run well on the PS4 or Xbox One. An older i5 or i3 would only have two cores, so the game won't work well. Really it is just bad optimization, but for the most part one that doesn't matter because most PC gamers have a chip with four full cores in their rigs.

If you don't, it is time to invest the $150 and get a new chip.

That's not really how applications work. They can juggle a lot more threads than you have processors if your processors perform better.

Back