Google TV Officially Retired as Android TV Rises from Its Ashes

Weird, I thought they did this when they released Android TV.

Isn't Android TV a counter to the use of WebOS on TV's by LG? that's what it looked like to me.

Won't be too long before all TVs are smart TVs.

Yeah and too bad too... While ok for some limited access/use its a horrible option if you really like a service or use anything beyond the TV and its crappy speakers.

Vendors will stop upgrading the software AND the software will probably exceed the hardware well before you replace your TV.

Those will surround systems also have to deal with CEC/vendor compatibility.

Example: I got a Vizio 4k TV with 4k netflix. I can't get the CEC to work so my options are get a new stereo, use TV speakers for neflix or spdif audio (with sync issues).

Solution: Just keep using my external netflix player...

With all these devices, you would think a better universal remote control system would be available. I am pretty surprised Harmony is still really the only player for residential/common remote control options. Though smart phone/IP is starting to take over...

Never got much out of my android tv. I think it's stuck on my Sony GoogleTV.

Shit so are they upgrading my Goggle TV Sony blu-ray player to Android TV then?

I've had a HTPC for 4 years, running Windows Media Center, netflix never has updated for that, hulu gave up on it as well, but the core feature, recording over HD with my Silicon Dust hardware has worked great.

HTPC is still limited by Windows, but I do play steam on it. Need to release Android TV for PC.

Back