monitor resizes upon restart or resume, win 8.1

Mandroid

Weaksauce
I just purchased the Acer K272HUL monitor,,

when I hooked it up,, everything went fine,, but if the computer goes into sleep mode,, or I shut down,,, it doesn't maintain the resolution settings,, and starts as 1024 x 768,, or lower,, or sometimes just my icons and windows get resized and moved to the upper left corner,,

I really like the monitor, nice resolution 2560 x 1440,,no dead pixels,, good colors,, and I hate to return it,,,

but I'm not going to rearrange my desktop every time I resume from stand-by,,

it's hooked up using the Display port output using the built in graphics intel HD 4600,, and an I7 4790k processor,,, this configuration Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 24Hz or 4K x 2K (3840x2160) @ 60Hz

and I have tried an HDMI connection, no difference,,,, plus changing the registry entries so they all reflect the 2560 x 1440 resolution..as there were 2 other monitors on this build before the acer..

registry changes helped a little,, ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration )

Just an idea, but try CRU. It will allow you to delete old monitor profiles. google "ToastyX CRU" and its the first hit.

thank You madamimadam ....

I just ran that CRU and it cleared all the previous monitor info,, but not the registry driver entries,,
so I deleted them,, and let windows recreate them,,
and then I just let the puter go into stand-by,, when it comes back on,,, 2 of the windows are resized to 1024 x 768 in the upper left corner,, and another window is normal,,,

haven't seen that 1 before,,, LOLOL

thanks for the effort,,,,

what a shame,, I hate to return this monitor,,, but I've spent so much time on this,,,

I have talked with Microsoft's and Acer's support,, and of course they blame each other,,, but offer no assistance,,

Last edited:
thought I'd update this in case anyone was watching,,,

I thought I’d try an old video card I had in another computer,,
It has a HDMI output,,, after setting it up, the suggested resolution was 1920 X 1080,, with a max of 1920 X 1200,,,

So to continue on my trouble shooting I pulled out my old IP35pro,, with a 3.0 wolfdale,,
And installed the same video card,,, started it up in win 10 preview,, and I get the same 1920 X 1080,, with a max of 1920 X 1200,,,resolution settings..

I rebooted into XP sp3,, same hardware, same connections,, just different OS,,
And it self detects,, adjust resolution to 2560 X 1440,, and works perfectly,,

So it’s obviously an issue with this monitor and the newer versions of windows,,,

Great ,,, so I either send the monitor back and go back to my ASUS with 1920 X 1080,,,
Or put my new I7 4790K---asrock Z97extreme6—16gig ram—SSD---in the closet and use my old IP35pro,,

don't think I can install XP sp3 on the new puter,,, I don't think the drivers are available,,,

I doubt registry entries will do anything for you since I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my Acer B326HK and during wake-up from screen savers or if the monitor is not on when Windows starts it always defaults to 1920x1080 (native res is 3840x2160). Seems more like Windows defaulting to a "safe" resolution when its not sure what it is supposed to output, which may either be hard coded or not accessible in the registry or simply based on a multiple of the native res on a monitor.

the registry entries did help,, before every time it went into standby the complete desktop would resize to about 1280 x 720,,,

usually the only thing that resizes now are the open windows,,
which might mean that I'm not getting all the display registry entries..

I also have this posted on the Microsoft community forums and a reply stated that it's because Microsoft eliminated support for IGFX,,
but I think IGFX only has to do with on-board graphics,, and the video card eliminated that..

based on the fact that on the same computer the monitor works correctly with XP and doesn't with 8.1 or win 10 preview,, leads me to think it's an incompatibility between this monitor and newer versions of windows,,

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/monitor-resizes-upon-restart-or-resume-win-81/8b4da4e9-0358-4b74-a924-c2b2177b7b19

Last edited:
Back